380 ammo - Page 3

380 ammo

This is a discussion on 380 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With .380 penetration can be an issue. We always want penetration with good expansion. The bonded 90gr Gold Dot fits the bill nicely....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 380 ammo

With .380 penetration can be an issue. We always want penetration with good expansion. The bonded 90gr Gold Dot fits the bill nicely.

HA! Thats a good one. BUT I have read many 'police' type stories recently on the 380 and the underpenetration thing seems to be a bad joke. Aka, the 380 doing the job just fine. Most are suggesting though that go heavy.

I load my LCP up with Winchester PDX1 95 gr. I have no real world experience using it (thank goodness) but I trust this ammo.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

OP - If you want stats, check out the sticky at the top of this sub-forum:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rspective.html

I have yet to see a .380 JHP that will both expand AND meet or exceed the FBI minimum 12 inches in gel when fired from a short barrel. An example can be found at the testing done at GoldenLoki.com.

I carry flat-point FMJ in my LCPs.

Couple points to consider...

1. If you can carry a P238, then you can carry a CM9. They are virtually the same size.

2. If you can carry a snubbie, you can carry a baby Glock. I had some pockets altered (deepened and squared off) by a tailor, and now my G26 can be pocket carried easily. Heavier? Yes. Better gun than a snubbie, PM9/CM9, P238 or LCP? Heck yes.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I've got a couple of .380's. I don't carry them all the time. But, when I carry them, I'm not concerned that I am underpowered.

Put yourself in the shoes of the bad guy. When the rounds are incoming, are you really taking the time to look at the caliber?

"Oh, hell...the dude's just shooting a pea shooter. I can stand here and absorb those."
    LOL!!

So True - I have seen really big men haul a** at the sight of a bee!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - If you want stats, check out the sticky at the top of this sub-forum:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rspective.html

I have yet to see a .380 JHP that will both expand AND meet or exceed the FBI minimum 12 inches in gel when fired from a short barrel. An example can be found at the testing done at GoldenLoki.com.

I carry flat-point FMJ in my LCPs.

Couple points to consider...

1. If you can carry a P238, then you can carry a CM9. They are virtually the same size.

2. If you can carry a snubbie, you can carry a baby Glock. I had some pockets altered (deepened and squared off) by a tailor, and now my G26 can be pocket carried easily. Heavier? Yes. Better gun than a snubbie, PM9/CM9, P238 or LCP? Heck yes.
    Agreed, but as originally stated, there are situations where only the smallest of small and lightest of light can be carried. IMO that broke down to p238, LCP, TCP... I will be getting the 938 in a couple of months (9mm version). Again, I am sure its just my brain talking here but I would rather carry a 380 than to not carry in situations where its called for. When I can do a fraction more, that 938 will be the ticket I think. When I can do otherwise the Kimber Pro Carry is the ticket. Have held and seen the CW and PM 9's and like em, but as so many here I am a HUGE fan of the Sigs.

And BTW, your link post to the stopping power is enlightening. EXACTLY what I had hoped to have to research. And there wansnt a single part of that post that I would argue with. THANK YOU!

OP - The Sig P238 is really in a different class than the LCP, TCP, and P3at. It is larger and heavier. It really bumps up into the "pocket 9" category, which makes me wonder why folks choose to carry them, instead of a 9mm like the PM9/CM9.

I don't mean to start a caliber war - my wife carries a LCP, and I sometimes carry one or even two of them myself, depending on clothing. But a 9mm will drive a bullet that meets the FBI standard; a .380 will not. That does not mean the .380 is ineffective, but it is what it is, which is why I only use FMJ in .380. I can understand carrying a micro .380 when you have to; I do not understand carrying a .380 that is virtually the same size as a 9mm - unless you have an issue with handling the recoil of a 9mm in that size gun, or you cannot rack the slide.

And if the pants fabric will stand up to the weight, my own "blinding flash of the obvious" was to have my pants tailored such that an even larger and more capable pistol can be pocket carried - my G26. I guess my point is to not "assume" that you cannot carry larger/heavier/better - even if it means having the pants altered.

Glad you found the study in so-called "stopping power" helpful. Bottom line for me was that there is not much difference in anything .380/.38 or above.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renoboyd View Post
    SO, cleaning up that p238 and tried to run the Hornady CD through it. EVERY SINGLE ONE hung up trying to feed. Its the pointed tip, sharp edge on casing holding it up. My FMJ's no prob. I had the same problem with my 45, pointed = problem, rounded nose (even in HP) work fine. Darn it.

And sure, kill anyone with a 380 recently? (LOL). Just looking for real world stats, not ballistic gelatin surveys.
    After reading your post about Hornady CD ammo from the Sig P238 I decided to go to the range today and put a box through my gun to make sure I was carrying the right ammo. I had one mis-fire but shot two decent groups at 7 yards. I am amazed at the accuracy from this tiny package. Here is a picture of the groups shot with Hornady CD 380.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-sig-p238.html
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

As others have said, reliability is the most important issue in this discussion and that's with all semi auto's.

My Diamondback DB380 BUG was very picky and there were some FMJ it would not function reliably with because they were on the mild side and it likes hotter loads.

I carry the Speer Gold Dot 90 gr. JHP and get reliable functioning.

OS

P18163004.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links