380 ammo

380 ammo

This is a discussion on 380 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys, before this turns into a debate on the caliber, I KNOW! I carry a kimber 45 often and am sold on it, ballistics ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 380 ammo

380 ammo

Ok guys, before this turns into a debate on the caliber, I KNOW! I carry a kimber 45 often and am sold on it, ballistics and all. BUT situations persist where carrying that fantastic weapon is not possible and even my 9 wont do. So instead of being unarmed, I carry a Sig p238 380. That being said, I am now searching for the best ammo for that gun. Have read allot on FMJ for penetration versus HP for shock. Even some that suggest alternating to get best of both worlds. But the truth is, if it aint HP, I have a mental block saying that it aint good enough. Is there anyone in this forum whom might have some real world experience? Not just gelatin tests, but maybe LE with some street wise on the subject? Had to defend yourself with it? Something new out there that has changed the 380 world?

Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    My Sig p238 doesn't like remington jhp ammo, jams often. I use hornady critical defense or speer gold dot HPs.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Buffalo Bore 95 grain JHP, Cor Bon 90 grain JHP, Speer Gold Dot 101 grain JHP... I use the latter two, but am going to switch to Buffalo Bore.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I don't think there is anything wrong with 380 caliber in the warm months. Not much clothing to defeat. Pretty sure some 380 ballistics are fairly impressive at shorter ranges.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

The gun I am carrying until the waiting period for my 1911 is up is a .380...I carry Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1's in it. Does a great job on the range against water jugs. They open up all the way, and fully penetrate one jug and most of the time will make a mark on the far end of the second jug before it falls to the bottom of the second jug.
    Last edited by W9HDG; April 8th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

FMJ only in a .380.

Overpenetration is not a concern, but underpenetration is.

"Shock" doesn't wound.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I use PDX1's and Gold Dots mostly because they're the easiest for me to find and they both cycle well in my 380. I don't stagger and I don't use FMJ when not at the range but I know folks who do and won't argue with them about it. Whatever makes you comfortable.

For the moment, I have a box of critical defense, reports overall are good. Will be at the range soon enough. No one have a real world story to share?

Whatever works reliably and accurate in your particular firearm. Do a search on you tube. And winchester pdx1 and hornady critical defence seemed impressive for a 380. I have a box of hornadys to try next time I get to the range in my bersa thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by renoboyd View Post
    For the moment, I have a box of critical defense, reports overall are good. Will be at the range soon enough. No one have a real world story to share?
    I haven't tested them on humans, if that's what you're asking. Lmao

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Real Life test

Here is a link of a real life testing of a .380. Bad Guy shoots stupid bimbo and drunk boyfriend! Just shows to go you, guns and booze don't mix with happy endings

Accused cop killer to claim self-defense - Lake Country Reporter

Note he was given 10 years! Prosecutors pressed for first-degree murder when they went to trial in October. But a jury only found him guilty of two counts of homicide by negligent handling of a dangerous weapon.

Just a note we cary Winchester T Series .380

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

the zombie max ammo brand from hornady( critical defense) uses a plastic filled tip hollow point designed not to fill with clothing before expanding in soft tissue and seem to be loaded a little hotter than normal rounds. This might serve both summer and winter uses in the same bullet
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this thread. My wife's carry pistol is a Colt's Govt. Model .380. I haven't had the chance to try many different types of ammo in it yet, so I appreciate all the comments here.
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

In the 380's around my house we use 95gr flat nose. They get the job done. not to big not to light and a round the 380 can push into the target.
    10thmtn likes this.

SO, cleaning up that p238 and tried to run the Hornady CD through it. EVERY SINGLE ONE hung up trying to feed. Its the pointed tip, sharp edge on casing holding it up. My FMJ's no prob. I had the same problem with my 45, pointed = problem, rounded nose (even in HP) work fine. Darn it.

And sure, kill anyone with a 380 recently? (LOL). Just looking for real world stats, not ballistic gelatin surveys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links