Defensive Carry banner

40 s&w 180 gr. Vs. 165gr with G23 or G27

18K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  vista461 
#1 ·
On my glock 23 I plan on using 180g
A buddy of mine told me for the glock 27 I should use
A 165g bullet because it would be more accurate with
The shorter barrel. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
With my G23 I haven't been able to discern any difference in accuracy that was discernably related to bullet weight. Base on my results so far, ammo brand makes more of a difference than bullet weight.

#5 ·
It only matters that your ammo gets along with your gun reliably. I use the 180's and cor Bon 140gr DPX.

#7 ·
I use 180gr in both my G23 and G27. I have not seen any difference in accuracy with the 180gr or 165 gr in either weapon. I do however notice a difference in recoil. You need to try them for yourself and see which one is better for you and your weapon.

#8 ·
as active and interesting events of late have been , id want something, one of my guns, to be 2" @ 75' capable.

i've yet to handle a glock that could not do that at 50' and many at 75'....with certain ammo.
and its up to you to find the ammo that compliments your gun best: and practice with it till you
are capable also. the weight of the bulllet hardly figures into the mix given you have chosen the
caliber and platform--and training.

#9 ·
Yes, you have to get the ammo that compliments the gun and gives the accuracy that is needed. I shoot 140GR DPX when I carry my G-35. I also have a Taurus PT-99 that keyholes 147GR 9MM bullits but loves 115 and 127Gr bullits. It is what works accurately and functionally.

#12 ·
The barrel length has nothing to do with the mechanical accuracy of the bullet. Both barrels have the same twist rate, it's the longer and shorter sight radius that hinders most shooters which lead to that misconception.

Either the 165 or 180 should do well, both for terminal effect and accuracy. Depends on which one you like the best. Different weights give different recoil feelings.

#14 ·
I will be posting a series of videos on my youtube channel this summer regarding balistics. I will be doing more than just the typical "shoot into water jugs" testing.
I will be testing in the following situations:

shooting JHP through car doors and into balstic media
shooting JHP through Pylwood and into balstic media
shooting JHP through Drywall and into balstic media
shooting JHP through car windows and into balstic media

If you want your round tested feel free to post message me and we can work something out. I don't have the means to buy all the common hand gun rounds on the market to test them. I have the means to test every round except the .357sig.

I would love to test some Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Duty/Critical Defense, Federal, Winchester, Etc. Post message me. for more details or suggestions.

#16 ·
FWIW: I practice with 180gr rounds and carry 165gr rnd, to be honest I really can't discern too much of a difference in recoil, the 165gr has better properties for SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.