Defensive 9mm round question

This is a discussion on Defensive 9mm round question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've enjoyed these for my Kahr CW9. Feeds well and I'm pretty sure they'd work if needed. 138135.jpg...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Defensive 9mm round question

I've enjoyed these for my Kahr CW9. Feeds well and I'm pretty sure they'd work if needed.

138135.jpg
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

2. Remove Ads

in the 9mm I avoid +P my call not worth messing with
    I load up with 115-124GR JHP I tend to favor the 124GR
    Those two rounds will meet your SD needs in a wide range of 9mm hand guns.
    The only time I would go with the 147 Gr or +P's would be in my full size 9mm that I do not bother to use as a CC.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Just pick a name brand and make sure it works in your gun. Don't worry about the semantics, just buy a well known brand and get a weight between 124-147gr.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Just pick a name brand and make sure it works in your gun. Don't worry about the semantics, just buy a well known brand and get a weight between 124-147gr.
    This is basically "the right answer"...I have Gold Dots (short barrel) 124 gr +P in one gun, Win PDX-1 124 Gr +P in another , and the a forementioned Fed HST's in still another. If I do my part, I'm willing to bet any of them will do theirs.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

cj
    Went through this a while back and stocked up on Speer GD 124 +P. Since then, I ended up with a few boxes of Ranger-T 124 +P as well. I feel fine with either, once they've been tested and confirmed that my particular carry of choice at the time. But really, as other mention, get something with a decent reputation (NOT their own proclaimed reputation...if it's got lightning, ninjas, or tacticool guys in masks in their advertising, they're probably hyping themselves and you won't find any decently reputable group using it) and you're already ahead of the curve.

124 JHP forget the +P

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Not sure about your M&Pc but my 9 does not mention it should be fired with +p, so I wouldn't risk it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    +P in a 9mm M&P,,,,,OK
    +P+,, Not OK
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Pick a load off DocGKR's list that your gun likes, and shoot it.
    What Matt said.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

-john

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    Im looking for some insight on weight and a real world tested and proven round for my new m&p9c for when it becomes my edc. What If some one has a m&p9c round do you carry.
    while not trying to sound rude, search is your friend, this has been discussed over and over in numerous threads,
    short answer any JHP designed for SD will get the job done, shot placement is more important than the round you shoot

With all the good stuff available these days, one must possess a good deal of skill to screw up and pick a lousy load. More critical is that it functions well in your gun and you are accurate with it.

This is about as real world as it gets, unless you have a bunch of human bodies to shoot at. The chest cavity is about the same width as a human, filled with real tissue, organs and bones. It beats the hell out of lab jello for real results.
    This is one shot at just under 20 yards, with a 147 weight +p. This isnt a fluke, I have done this over and over with the 9mm, 45acp,and 38spl. Pistol was a Glock 17.

Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Heres another with a 45 acp using ball ammo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I keep my G19 loaded with Winchester PDX-1 147gr standard pressure. I'm sure it will work just fine, and the gun feeds them with no problem. Bonded JHP in 124gr +p or 147gr standard pressure (which I like because quick follow up shots are just too easy) and you'll be all set, assuming it feeds right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links