Defensive 9mm round question

This is a discussion on Defensive 9mm round question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking for some insight on weight and a real world tested and proven round for my new m&p9c for when it becomes my edc. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Defensive 9mm round question

Im looking for some insight on weight and a real world tested and proven round for my new m&p9c for when it becomes my edc. What If some one has a m&p9c round do you carry.

VIP Member
    Honestly you aren't going to get much in the way of 'real world tested and proven'. There are plenty of good 9mm SD rounds available. My advice is pick something off this list ( Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo )and buy a hundred rounds and shoot 'em up. If the round works well and you shoot it well, then you are good. Otherwise, pick another and do the same thing over again.

Everybody is going to have their idea on what 'the best' is. I know what round works well for me... However it only matters what works well in your specific pistol (no malfunctions, good combat accuracy). The most important factor is shot placement, so practice as much as you can; a well placed group of quick shots with junky Wolf FMJ is going to do a lot more to stop a bad guy than a poorly placed shot with the finest SD ammo. For the record, I'm not suggesting that you carry junk FMJ for SD, I'm just saying that your shot placement is going to be more of a factor than a Gold Dot vs. an HST vs. a Ranger-T.
    sgb, Kilowatt3, TVille and 1 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    Second what TX expat said. Pick a load off DocGKR's list that your gun likes, and shoot it.

Shot placement is king, and IMHO the folks who engage in endless measurebation over which SD load is the absolute "best" would be much better served spending that time shooting. If you can't put rounds on target while getting off the X, it really doesn't matter how great the bullets that miss the assailant are...
    wmhawth likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm looking for what Gr to use with the short barrel. Do you want lighter and faster or heavier and slower.

I've been a fan of the Speer GDHPs 124gr+P for a long time. What shoots best in your pistol, what you can handle, and what you can consistently hit with spot on is what you need. It's what everyone needs. Range ammo....take your pick. Carrying demands a more serious outlook. Kind of like hunting large game. Pick a caliber and cartridge you can make a one-shot kill with and know the limitations (such as range). Do a criminal a favor and make it as quick and easy as possible. We all owe it to ourselves to make the best choice we can and hit our target the first time without leaving a bleeder running for cover. Seriously. Many look for "real world" statistics here. Truth is the real world stuff is still just science and science has little to do with outcomes if you think about it. Science is always involved with projections and finite mathematics. The day you have to pull the trigger to live has nothing to do with science or any of the rest of the 'real world'. We can train, plan, think about, everything. When the time comes, we can almost be sure it's not as planned or thought out. That's what we need to be prepared for, and there is no school for this. Ultimately......read the book will to kill then how to survive, then how to do it effectively with your tools. Putting your thoughts into the tools first is usually a mistake many make since they seldom put thought into the job at hand. Follow me?

I agree with the first couple of posts with one exception. I go through the testing procedure with 2 to 4 different brands, as much as I can afford, to give me options.

VIP Member
    Federal HST, which is an excellent SD round, lists the velocity @ 25' as such:

124 1095 fps
    124 +p 1136 fps
    147 976 fps
    147 +p 1020 fps

So at 25' the difference between the slowest round to the fastest round is only 160 fps. Sure there are plenty of factors that can be dissected, analyzed and interpreted a hundred different ways from Tuesday, but will any of it really matter? Probably not because an accurate shot with any of them is going to ruin the bad guy's day.

The best idea would be to buy a box of a couple of different brands/weights and get a decent comparison for yourself on what you shoot well with. That 9c barrel isn't so short, or long, that any one weight is going to be substantially better or worse.

I know where you are coming from, I really do. I used to spend stupid amounts of time pondering every possible round/weight combination and did all sorts of searching for stuff based on my specific pistol. After a while I realized that that stuff really only matters on paper. The only truly important thing is that I can accurately hit my target as many times as I need to, in order to remove the threat that it poses. I wouldn't hesitate to feel that I could do that with any of the reputable SD rounds, just so long as I've had enough of them through my pistol to know that they will work well mechanically. If nothing else, start with what is available. I usually carry HST's or Ranger-T's, and I've tested both because I can't always find one or the other. I don't shoot a ton of them, but I do periodically shoot off the rounds I've been carrying so I will eventually go through my supply.

Yeah I'm gonna buy a few different rounds I have a few ideas already was just seeing if there was one that stands out.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I use gold dot on my m&p
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I would venture a guess that if you were to ask 100 folks who carry as CWP or LEO, you'll get a very high percentage will narrow it down to these 3

Federal HST
    Speer Gold Dot
    Winchester Ranger T

For me, in that order.

As to 124gr vs 147gr, and +P or no +P....a bigger can of worms ;)

One bit of common sense I was lucky enough to have been taught, shoot 200 rounds or so of whatever you choose in your gun at the range to be certain your gun has no problems with it before you stake your life on it.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    I'm looking for what Gr to use with the short barrel. Do you want lighter and faster or heavier and slower.
    I'd recommend heavier to ensure adequate penetration.

ANd here's another vote for the site mentioned earlier. Pick one of the loads, see if you rpistol likes it. try both a heavy and one of the lighter bullets, see if one shoots better for you.

Then practice, rpactice, practice so that you can actually place that round on target...because if you can't, it doesn't matter what you're shooting; you're just making noise and endagering folks downrange.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

RKM
    I carry or have carried and recommend Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST and Winchester Ranger-T. There is no best. Even if there was it would be by such a small margin that it would never matter. Though I've seen repeated tests where Ranger-T fails to expand when shot through 4 layers of denim. The hollow point cavity is so small and shallow it clogs easily. DPX I've never seen a test that is didn't expand through 4 layers of denim (I guess it could happen though). The hollow point cavity is huge on the DPX. Something to consider. If Barnes could manage a 147gr or 230gr all copper bullet in 9mm and .45, I wouldn't carry anything else.

I'm a pretty consistent shooter no matter what the caliber or ammo i always run my carry ammo through the gun before I use it as a ammo. I just haven't had a 9mm in so long that I wanted to see if "the latest and greatest" changed I carried gold dots in my first and only 9mm

I agree with Cuda66. Can't go wrong with heavier, but a 124 weight +p should be good too.
    The heaviest loads give you a little more insurance of penetration should you hit bone.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links