Who really makes the ammo

This is a discussion on Who really makes the ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We see all these name brands. We have more cool sounding names for different rounds each it it's own higher priced cool looking box. But ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Who really makes the ammo

We see all these name brands. We have more cool sounding names for different rounds each it it's own higher priced cool looking box.
    But who really makes all these rounds?
    As more and more ammo is being sold recalls seem to come up more often. When brandX issues a recall I have noticed that sometimes as many as 5 or 6 others are recalled for the exact same reason. This makes it appear that they are not only being made by the same company but are even running on the same production line and just being put in different boxes at the end of the day.
    Seems that it maybe a worthless discussion when you compare a 124gr JHP made by brand x to one made by brand y when the only real difference is the box and the price you payed that day.
    I shoot a lot rounds I find that failures are few and far between I will buy a couple 100 round boxes of the discounted name brand stuff to burn up then next week buy the other brand that is on sale. I just find no difference in most of it other that the box and the price.
    But maybe those Bad boy zombie stopper Extremes are better they must be a twice the price,after all the box look mean.

VIP Member
    I live 30 minutes from the Remington Arms Plant where all there ammo is made. In a LEO only tour while on the 9mm brass line I noticed that the headstamp read CorBon. The rep stated they made brass for several folks along with bullets.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Hmmm......contract work.....no one knows about.....interesting.

Contract work is common in the industrial market. Bread is made at the bread plant under 4-5 different names as with paint. They made 4 different names under one plant with the brand owners own recipes. I was a truck driver and see this on a regular bases

Remington makes UMC ammo for one and I am sure they make others too with the brand owner’s bullet, grain and powder specs

As far as the recalls go the faster you push production the more mistakes are going to be made. MFG's can't keep up with the supply. 9MM and 380's are hot right now due to everyone CCWing now. Wal-Mart can't keep them on the shelf. I normally don't buy but a box or two at a time but they are hard to get so the last time I went I got 7 boxes and wiped them out

MagTec is Brazil, Tula is Russia. Those were the last two boxes I bought. Didn't have an American choice for the .30 carbine at the gunshop. The 7.63x54r was Bulgarian, all they had.

I am just a redneck at heart I buy US made ammo I buy right and buy smart a buck a box difference is worth it me. The only non US made rounds I buy are 7.62X39
    Daveditchdigger likes this.

VIP Member
    Yeppers I have Lory buy the black box AR ammo from Wally World whenever she goes. Last batch was $6.97 a box OTD but unless I find just a smokin hot deal online by the time I pay shipping it is equal to or more than that.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I make my ammo for me. I know what's in it, and the QC involved.

Because of the exact same concerns of your post, I started reloading everything I shoot, and most of what I carry.
    Beans, marcclarke, redmc and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I am just a redneck at heart I buy US made ammo I buy right and buy smart a buck a box difference is worth it me. The only non US made rounds I buy are 7.62X39
    You are aware, I hope, that a lot of Winchester "white box" ammo is made in Israel and Croatia.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I make my ammo for me. I know what's in it, and the QC involved.

Because of the exact same concerns of your post, I started reloading everything I shoot, and most of what I carry.
    I have even broken the old lead pot out and started molding my handgun bullets. My 357's are loaded with the Keith 168 gr hpt, works real good.
    StormRhydr and NewportReds like this.

I know S&B was making some ammo for Winchester for a while; the rounds came in the 25-rd half-box trays that S&B used, as well as having a different headstamp font.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Weatherby and Federal Premium rifle ammunition are both made in Sweden by Norma.

Winchester's USA white box brand is made in Turkey.

Buy what runs well in your gun and don't worry where it's made.
    oneshot and Wolf357 like this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Weatherby and Federal Premium rifle ammunition are both made in Sweden by Norma.

Winchester's USA white box brand is made in Turkey.

Buy what runs well in your gun and don't worry where it's made.
    As for the Federal I might disagree.
    Federal Premium, CCI, Speer, RCBS, Alliant Powder, Champion, Weaver, Eagle Industries, and Blackhawk! Industries are all presently made by ATK.
    ATK - Security and Sporting Group
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

The point of this is pretty much no madder what the box says on it you really don't know if it is the exact same stuff that is in the box next to it on the shelf for 10 cents a round less.
    I find my weapons eat any thing I feed them. My older Ruger P89 did not like CCI until after it had some round through it then it fired anything.
    Old Raven still does like cci it fires everything else 100% of of the time.
    New weapon pick up some good low cost stuff clean it up and shoot you may find after a few round have been through it does not madder what you feed it.
    Names on the box use to mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    The point of this is pretty much no madder what the box says on it you really don't know if it is the exact same stuff that is in the box next to it on the shelf for 10 cents a round less.
    I find my weapons eat any thing I feed them. My older Ruger P89 did not like CCI until after it had some round through it then it fired anything.
    Old Raven still does like cci it fires everything else 100% of of the time.
    New weapon pick up some good low cost stuff clean it up and shoot you may find after a few round have been through it does not madder what you feed it.
    Names on the box use to mean something.
    I will not disagree with that. Though I would caution that anything with steel casings not be used in semi-automatics or automatics without ensuring that the protective coatings are removed. Russian made Wolf ammunition is one of these that uses steel casings coated with a corrosion preventative that will transfer to the chamber of your pistol barrel and result in extraction failures after firing just a few rounds consecutively in a short time span.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links