Chrony results for popular ammo tested today

This is a discussion on Chrony results for popular ammo tested today within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out to shoot that new EXO G23, so I decided to reach way back in the ammo locker and pull out some older stuff. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Chrony results for popular ammo tested today

Went out to shoot that new EXO G23, so I decided to reach way back in the ammo locker and pull out some older stuff. Also took the 2nd Gen G19, which I carry alot.

Ammo tested was Remington Golden Saber 147+p, Winchester Ranger 124+p, and Double Taps 124 and 147 offerings in the 9mm.

For the 40, I took Federal 180, Blazer Brass 180, and Double Tap 180.

First the G19; Remington GS 147 weights averaged about 970 fps. The Winchester Ranger 124+P was about 1150.

The DT 124 weight load was 1295 fps. Can you say wow! This is almost equal to the vaunted old Illinois State Police load which was a 115 Federal at 1300 fps.
    Now, its uncertain to me what bullet they use, but state its a controlled expansion, which would leave me to believe its a Nosler, or XTP. I am going to call Mike tomorrow for clarification.

The 147 weight Double Tap load averaged about 1066. Its advertised at 1080. Very close. This would be my choice for a 147 weight.

The 40 Federal Hydra Shock and Blazer loads were right around 950 to just under 1000 fps. This is inline ballistically for its design specs, and actually mirrors the old 38-40 load over 100 years ago. Yeah, hate to break it to some of you, but the 40 is nothing new ballistically, we just copied from the past.

Enter the Double Tap 180 weight offering. It smoked by the sky screens at an average of 1072 fps. And you could " feel" it to in your hand. The DT is advertised at 1100 fps from a g23, and it comes very close. I would say, taking into consideration altitude, and distance from the chrony, and other scientific differences I'm not qualified to talk about, they are right on in their advertisement.

Now for the sake of honesty, and full disclosure, the DT rounds I fired today were purchased back when I thought 34.00 a box of their stuff was expensive, and they used a Hornady XTP. They now use the Nosler, for controlled expansion. Wish I had bought more back then, cause now it gone up to about 44.00 a box!

But I gotta say this, that Double Tap ammo, is the most accurate and well put together ammo I have ever seen. And I cannot duplicate their velocities. It is also accurate as hell. It doesnt seem to matter what caliber, or bullet you choose, this is truly the most Premium ammo I have ever used.

For most of my shooting, I will reload to save money, but I can tell you one thing; I will buy a few boxes of DT for my EDC and special purpose fodder; which brings me to another thought;

While the 40 S&W, will never equal a 10mm in power, after testing the 180 weight loadings for it, I couldnt help but think that carried in a pistol like the g23, 22, or the M&P, or other polymer guns, it would do pretty good as a hiking, backwoods load for protection against about anything on 2 or 4 legs, except for the big bears. But the average 150-275 pound Blackie, or Puma, and it should be pretty good.
    A 180 weight 40 cal @ over 1000 fps aint nothin to sneeze at.

So, there you have a little info. It really doesnt mean alot, but, I know many are like me, and want to know what their load is really doing. And it gives us something to think about.
    I think Im placing an order from Double Tap.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Thanks for the info
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Good stuff here!

The DT 124 grain load is cookin'! So's their 147 grain load. Really love the looks of their 147 grain load. Has both weight and velocity.

That DT 180 grain .40 S&W load is a horse! I'd love to add a .40 S&W to the stable here and 180 grain would be the bullet weight I'd examine first for use in the pistol.

Thanks for the mention of the old .38-40. It can be pretty horse-y too. Velocities from 900 fps to 1200 fps with 180 grain bullets have been clocked from my .38-40 revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I bought about 4 boxes of DT in .380 loaded with Speer Gold Dots. I think they are 90 grain, and have excellent results in the LCP.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Good stuff here!

The DT 124 grain load is cookin'! So's their 147 grain load. Really love the looks of their 147 grain load. Has both weight and velocity.

That DT 180 grain .40 S&W load is a horse! I'd love to add a .40 S&W to the stable here and 180 grain would be the bullet weight I'd examine first for use in the pistol.

Thanks for the mention of the old .38-40. It can be pretty horse-y too. Velocities from 900 fps to 1200 fps with 180 grain bullets have been clocked from my .38-40 revolver.
    I have been doing some research on the 40, as I have kind of ignored it for years. So, since I carry it every day on duty, I figured I would see what could be done with it. I am finding out that it seems that most of the KABOOMS commonly associated with the 40 are due to the 180 loading taking up alot of case space, which makes seating depth critical. This combined with the constant working of the brass seems to be the culprit. The 180 weight bullet is fine it seems in the 10mm, which offers more capacity. Bottom line is that seating depth is critical with the 40 and 180 weight bullets and used worked brass.
    Seems the 165 is the safer way for the reloader to go.

I had a 38-40 years ago. Was a great shooter, and slick as a whistle. Unfortunately, I cracked the forcing cone. That was back in my younger and dumber days when I thought everything had to be red lined, lol
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"That was back in my younger and dumber days when I thought everything had to be red lined..."

Well...there is that.

I confess that my 107 year-old (fortunately still intact) .38-40 has since been retired from performance handloading experimentation. It sees use these days with cast bullet loads in the 750 fps to 950 fps range. Like you, I went through an "Elmer Keith" phase where each component bullet had to be run up to whatever highest published maximum I could find in various loading manuals just to see what could be done over the chronograph and against the varmints.

You make good points about seating depth with 180 grain bullets in the .40 S&W. I always thought I'd like a .40 Hi-Power and was prepared to make allowances to be able to utilize effective 180 grain handloads in it. The lesser .40 bullet weights weren't quite as interesting to me.

I suppose that when I get serious about a .40 I ought to see which pistol designs offer the best support for the case.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Great post, Glockman! Thanks!

Regards,
    Jim

Glockman, I'm a .357Sig fan and use for EDC but was looking at the .40SW as an alternative. Have the extra barrel. Anyways, I'm kind of intrigued with the .40SW 155gr JHP loadings. Even bought some Federal rounds. I guess I'm thinking that it gives a combination of the .40 bore and highest velocity for the cartridge. On paper kinetic energy is high. Ever chronographed those loadings for actual velocities? Thoughts?

jasco, I have not. But a quick look at DTs sight at there 150 loading is 1270 fps.

Curious results on your velocity with the 147+P REM GS at 970 FPS. I chronographed the standard 147 GS in my little PPS with 3.2” barrel and got 947 FPS at 34 degrees.

Either my little PPS has a fast barrel, or the +Ps aren’t all that “plus”.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Curious results on your velocity with the 147+P REM GS at 970 FPS. I chronographed the standard 147 GS in my little PPS with 3.2” barrel and got 947 FPS at 34 degrees.

Either my little PPS has a fast barrel, or the +Ps aren’t all that “plus”.

Chuck
    A +p designation does not really give it that much more velocity. My barrel was 4 inches, not much longer than yours. Also factor in distance from chrony variances, and other things, and it sounds like a reasonable difference to me.
    But that is an average of a few shots. Some of the shots fired were almost 1000 fps..

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A +p designation does not really give it that much more velocity. My barrel was 4 inches, not much longer than yours. Also factor in distance from chrony variances, and other things, and it sounds like a reasonable difference to me.
    But that is an average of a few shots. Some of the shots fired were almost 1000 fps..
    Makes sense.

After chronographing a few loads in my PPS and PPQ, there’s about a 6% average difference in the two, when infer that 6% to my PPS MV I get 1004 FPS, which is about what you have. The listed velocity for the standard 147 GS is 990FPS, so I guess the +P isn’t all that plus after all.

BTW, where did you find the +P Golden Sabers???

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I can't remember where I got them at to tell you the truth. I still have a box or two left. I think they were supplied to me by my training dept. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy them.

Sponsored Links