Question for those that reload defensive ammo

This is a discussion on Question for those that reload defensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two questions for those of you that reload ammo that you also carry for defensive purposes. Please don't turn this into a debate ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By airslot

Thread: Question for those that reload defensive ammo

I have two questions for those of you that reload ammo that you also carry for defensive purposes. Please don't turn this into a debate about carrying reloaded ammo and the possible court implications.

1. Do you use new brass or just whatever brass you have on hand?

2. Do you factory crimp you rounds? Right now I'm running a three stage no factory crimp for my target loads but will pick up a 4 hole turret and factory crimp die if I need to.

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo, I "proof" test my loads by working them up and function testing them with older brass. Once I have the results I want, I load them in virgin brass cases.

I use the crimp built into the seating die.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Virgin or once fired brass.
    I use the Lee factory crimp dies for consistency and easy adjustment.

Roy
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Rollo,
    I don't regularly carry reloads for SD (38sp, 9mm, 45acp, & .380) as I only reload practice ammo in those calibers, but, during hunting season one of my Ruger Blackhawks (45lc or 357mag) often double as my daily carry.

I use factory crimp for 9mm, 45acp, & .380 and roll-crimp on all my revolver handloads.

All my hunting loads are handloaded specifically to the game I am hunting at the time. I usually try to use brass that has been loaded no more than twice for dedicated hunting loads. I use new brass for heavy hunting loads in 357mag and 45lc.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I use known once fired brass for carry handloads. I buy virgin Starline brass, fire it once, then reload it for carry use. The once firing is a proof test. You cannot know if the virgin brass will hold pressure, most assume so, but I test to be sure. I've had spit cases in virgin brass that was loaded with a pressure that should not have split.

I don't use Lee dies, I use Redding dies, so no FCD for me. I don't do anything different with my carry ammunition that I do with my range ammunition as far as process.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I used to reload years ago and as a rule of thumb I never carried reload for SD. it’s not that I didn't trust my work it’s that I didn't trust the brass after the second time shooting. Walls thin and brass flows and stretches, gets weak spots. With semi's the last thing I want to do is have a KB in a stress time

I prefer new brass, especially for anything loaded to relatively high pressures. Since most of my stuff is relatively low pressure, I have no hesitation about using fired cases, as long as they look good & I've fired a nice-sized batch without problems.

The only exception is nickel-coated brass, which I've had split after several loadings in 38 SPL. I've also had a factory .32 SWL nickeled case split upon firing, jamming the revolver thoroughly. Yes, a 32 Long!!! Only other case split I've suffered was a brass-cased round from a manufacturer known for loading to max levels.

I like the suggestion of using once-fired brass, as it's been "proofed," so to speak. Downside, however, is that the casing may fail the second time it is used. . . .

I like the Lee FCD to ensure the cartridge will chamber. Although not usually necessary for my revolver ammo, I've had a number of rounds with cast bullets just a bit too large to chamber freely, or crimped with just enough bulge to prevent smooth chambering. The FCD effectively eliminates that possibility.

I use the Lee factory crimp die when loading for my autos. Love the extra piece of mind it gives me. For the revolver loads I use a roll crimp.

Michael

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've never had a reloaded round "not" work due to a reused case, so I wouldn't hesitate to carry one as long as it passed a visual inspection for cracks, splits, and the usual disqualifying blemishes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've never had a reloaded round "not" work due to a reused case, so I wouldn't hesitate to carry one as long as it passed a visual inspection for cracks, splits, and the usual disqualifying blemishes.
    + 1

I prefer once-fired brass and enough crimp to insure reliable function. LouisianaMan's "proofed" statement exactly describes my reasons.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links