Corbon DPX .38 Special Question

This is a discussion on Corbon DPX .38 Special Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard great things about the Corbon DPX ammo in .38 Special and think it would be the perfect SD food for my S&W Model ...

Thread: Corbon DPX .38 Special Question

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Question Corbon DPX .38 Special Question

I've heard great things about the Corbon DPX ammo in .38 Special and think it would be the perfect SD food for my S&W Model 38 Airweight. It seems Corbon used to make a standard pressure, non +P version of this ammunition. Does anyone know where you can find it?

2. Remove Ads

You might ask CorBon. (Gasp!)

There may be some distributors who still have some of the old standard-pressure .38 Special DPX.

DPX plus P 110gr
    http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgu...20/200/Product

Search brings up this
    Corbon DPX - Google Search

I am using federal premium .38 125GR NYCLAD HP in my S&W 642 (has a nylon coating=less cleaning). However it is hard to find and the below link is the only place I have found it but they are out of stock. Federal originally only sold this ammo to law enforcement. But is now on the open market.
    PISTOL AMMUNITION - Assorted Carry Ammo - FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP - (P38M) - 20 ROUNDS
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The OP specifically asked for the non-Plus-P version of CorBon .38 Special DPX. Giving a URL to the Plus-P version isn't much help (I am assuming the OP has a non-Plus-P capable .38 Special revolver) as the Plus-P version will exceed the maximum pressure ratings of his revolver. Ka-Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    The OP specifically asked for the non-Plus-P version of CorBon .38 Special DPX. Giving a URL to the Plus-P version isn't much help (I am assuming the OP has a non-Plus-P capable .38 Special revolver) as the Plus-P version will exceed the maximum pressure ratings of his revolver. Ka-Boom!
    FYI: S&W lists the Model 38 as .38 S&W Special +P.

Also it appears they no longer have the non +P CorBan ammo.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    FYI: S&W lists the Model 38 as .38 S&W Special +P.
    I already knew that. You should be talking to the OP telling him that, not to me. Without asking him directly, we don't know why the OP asked for non-Plus-P .38 Special CorBon DPX ammunition. I certainly don't know.

The OP asked for standard-pressure CorBon DPX ammo. I didn't.

You'll have to ask the OP why he wants standard pressure CorBon DPX .38 Special. (Hint, hint, hint. )
    Last edited by marcclarke; April 17th, 2012 at 04:15 AM.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Easy ladies. You're both pretty. (jk)

Where does S&W list the Model 38 as .38 Spl +P capable? The Bodyguard 38 is, but I'm talking about the MODEL 38. I contacted S&W last year and they informed me my M38, which was manufactured in 1971, was not designed for +P ammo. So, I'm heeding their advice.

I was hoping somebody had heard about some obscure online ammo dealer who might still have some DPX in stock. I'll probably go with Buffalo Bore's 38 SPL standard pressure Barnes lead free, short barrel, low-flash. It's pricey, but should work great.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Last edited by Jesters Dead; April 19th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    Easy ladies. You're both pretty. (jk)
    I'm blond. I'm prettier.

Where does S&W list the Model 38 as .38 Spl +P capable? The Bodyguard 38 is, but I'm talking about the MODEL 38. I contacted S&W last year and they informed me my M38, which was manufactured in 1971, was not designed for +P ammo. So, I'm heeding their advice.
    Oops, I had looked up the current Bodyguard 38, and missed the older Model 38. By all means listen to what S&W says. (You knew that.)

I was hoping somebody had heard about some obscure online ammo dealer who might still have some DPX in stock. I'll probably go with Buffalo Bore's 38 SPL standard pressure Barnes lead free, short barrel, low-flash. It's pricey, but should work great.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    The BB standard pressure load was going to be my next suggestion, but I see you already know about it.

Carry on.

Links