Brass question

This is a discussion on Brass question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pick up range brass to reload. And i tumble it to clean it. What would be good to clean the tarnish off the brass. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MLittle

Thread: Brass question

Brass question

I pick up range brass to reload. And i tumble it to clean it. What would be good to clean the tarnish off the brass. I use corn cob media and some polish from frankford arsenal. And tumble for a while but some of the cases remain tarnished. Can you get the tarnish off or just get used to it. I just like my cases to be shiney. Just me. Thanks all for the time.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I just like my cases to be shiney. Just me.
    Me too.

I sort by headstamp, and I try to pick up brass that looks recent enough to polish out. A little darkness can be rubbed out with Brasso, but it's time consuming. I'm careful about strange brass, because I like to keep records of the lots I shoot. I don't like unknowns.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

try a different medium like walnut shells; something a little more abrasive

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    In addition to the walnut shells add some powdered jewelers rouge to enhance the polishing action.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    this. if they have a harbor freight by you you can pick up 25 lbs for about 10$.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Thanks for the tips. Ill try them out.

Yeah......I don't think that corn cob is that abrasive. I use ground walnut shells and it works great..... Two other tips for you....

You can get broken walnut shells at Petsmart or your local big box pet store. They use it in the bottom of cages for lizards/snakes.

You can make you media last much longer if you put used dryer sheets in with your dirty shells. I tear up 1 or 2 sheets, lay them on top of the media, then put my shells on top of that. You'll find the dryer sheets pick up most all the carbon that is removed from the shells. I've used the same media now for over a year and it looks like I just put it in my tumbler. When you dump out your shells you'll find the dryer sheets are black with the carbon.....then just discard them.
    HotGuns likes this.

Have you considered wet tumbling with stainless steel media? I use a Thumler's Tumbler Model B (the high speed unit), 5 lbs. of stainless pins, tap water (fill to 1" of the top of the tumbler), Dawn dishwashing detergent (2 teaspoons), and Lemi-Shine (1/4 teaspoon), plus 230 9mm range brass. I tumble for 3-4 hours and the brass looks almost brand new when dried! If you use a universal decapper before putting the shells into the tumbler, the pins will scrub out the primer pockets and flash holes as well. Plus, you don't have to worry about the lead dust from sifting dry media.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    And tumble for a while
    How long do you let it tumble? I also pick up range brass, wind up throwing some out. I don't pick up or cull anything in bad shape or too far gone tarnish wise. I let mine tumble for as much as 6 to 8 hours in corncob media with the same polish you mentioned. They come out very clean and shiny, for the most part.

Sponsor
    Corn cob media and a liberal squirt of Brasso, tumble for 15-20 hrs. Brass as shiny as any factory load!

I've been using the same tumbler of corn cob media for 3 years. Well over 20k rounds cleaned. Hell, I cleaned 1000 .223 and 1000 9mm in the last month.

The stainless steel tumbling setup may work superbly but I would have a very difficult time justifying the start up cost.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Also, if your tumbler is too full of brass, the polishing effect may be diminished. If your media has been used extensively, it will become less effective.

Links