Sierra Sport Master Bullets?

This is a discussion on Sierra Sport Master Bullets? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry 9MM 147 gr. Golden Saber or Ranger T for EDC. I would like to load some 9MM 147 grain JHPs to practice with, ...

Thread: Sierra Sport Master Bullets?

I carry 9MM 147 gr. Golden Saber or Ranger T for EDC. I would like to load some 9MM 147 grain JHPs to practice with, and for that purpose Hornady XTP bullets would be fine. However, in an SHTF scenario (I know it's probably far fetched), if I wanted/needed to use my handloads for defense purposes, would the Sierra Sport Master bullet be better than the XTP? I've read that Hornady TAP, which uses the XTP bullet, doesn't pass the denim-ballistic gelatin test. Has anyone tested the Sierra bullet, or used it on game?

Perhaps the XTP would perform better at slightly higher velocities. I believe the 147 grain TAP rounds are 975 fps. I've got published loading data going up to around 1050 fps, would that amount of velocity increase improve performance? This is not a debate about whether to carry handloads, but an inquiry about whether the Sierra is superior to the XTP for my intended purposes. I can get XTPs locally, and have been unable to find Gold Dot or Golden Saber 147 grain bullets online, else I would get them.

Performance? Science or personal preference? Strange thing is.......when humanity is involved, the individual needs to perform to scientific specs in order for all data to apply. Question is......are you able to meet minimum statistical requirements for given data? I agree with you....................nothing to debate. Shoot to live is rather simple.

Sponsored Links