Kel-Tec P3 AT Ammo help... bad situation.

Kel-Tec P3 AT Ammo help... bad situation.

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P3 AT Ammo help... bad situation. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My GF's father owns a VERY large well known company in central florida. Recently, in the past 2-3 weeks he has fired a digruntled employee. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P3 AT Ammo help... bad situation.

Exclamation Kel-Tec P3 AT Ammo help... bad situation.

My GF's father owns a VERY large well known company in central florida. Recently, in the past 2-3 weeks he has fired a digruntled employee. Last week the man called his office and left a message on his answering machine stating..

"You done fired the wrong MF'er. Im going to come up there and put a M.F'ing A.K. to your M.F.'ing head." ... click.

This was reported to the police, which in turn responded that they could not do anything about it. The number was was not registered to the person that called or something.. seems rediculous. So my GF bought her dad a Keltec P3AT (gen 2)last week and we gave it to him this Labor day weekend for his birthday. I have read in several posts and forums that P3 AT's are finicky about ammunition. If you have any personal experience with the 'finicky-ness' of said weapon with different ammo types, let me know what you know. I know that the main consensus will be "buy lots of ammo, and try it all out", but if you have a BAD experience with any ammo for a kel-tec p3at let me know so I can think about ruling it out from the beginning. We want Mr. B to be safe, and want to take the quickest route to finding reliability, because we have no idea of this nutcase will carry out this verbal threat or if it will remain just that.. a verbal threat. We want to be ready as we can.

Also, I know some will say, a .380 vs. an AK47 is no match. And i FULLY AGREE, but its better than having two fists. I asked Mr. B if he planned on carrying after the verbal threat, and he said "probably not"(this was prior to recieving the kel-tec) because he has a .357 mag.. 5" bbl that stays at home. (this is why she got him the kel-tec.. he should not have a reason to not carry it, its soo small!)

We DID purchase him some Winchester supreme SXT or something, i forget- they were jacketed hollowpoints. He has not shot it yet, but we plan on shooting it for the first time this weekend. Thanks to all with input or help.

(Added) - Mr B and his wife both took the CCW classes a month ago, prior to this incident. They have no records so they will both be recieving their permits.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I would _never_ trust my life to a weapon that I had not put at least 100 problem free rounds through, and normally many more than that!

I have a P3AT that's loaded with gold dot's. I used to carry hydro-shoks in the same gun, and I know it shoots WWB FMJ reliably as well. Haven't tried any other ammo, but on these three it's been 100% reliable, with well over 1000 rounds of the WWB, and a few hundred rounds of the hollow points.

The reliability of the 2nd gen P3AT is _much_ better than it was with the first release, but I don't care if it's a brand new Smith and Wesson revolver... I'm not carrying it until I am totally satisfied that it'll go bang when I need it to.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

While not a gun I personally care for one gent I know with one swears by Powerball. Any modern hollow point that feeds reliably will fill the ticket. The emphasis on reliably!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    If you read the manual for the Kel Tec P3AT - Kel Tec states that it needs a Break In period of at least 150 (?) rounds.

As great of a little firearm the Kel Tec is --- it is WAY DOWN on my list of firearms that I would trust out of the box...which is about none.

My Kel Tec works fine NOW but, if I would have had to have trusted mine right out of the box...I would be a Cold Dead Moderator right now.

Mine absolutely would not feed or eject and it sucked big time out of the box.

I had to do a complete internal polishing of mine in addition to polishing the ramp/throat & barrel chamber and the recoil spring guide rod before it would function reliably.

I should say that I LOVE MINE...now that it works.

Like the answer above!

Mine is a first generation, and all I really had to do was polish the feed ramp and the recoil spring guide. Mine feeds the HydraShocks well, and I now keep it loaded with Gold Dots. Either feeds and ejects with no problems.

I wouldn't have wanted anybody hearing my comments the first time I tried it, though!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Points To Ponder...

1.) If a KelTec is better than two fists...then a 9mm or a .45 would be better yet...a Kimber, a Beretta, a Glock, or several others to choose from...what ever fits the 'hand' well.

2.) No slam to any LEO's, but they are not here to protect us...they file the reports and look for crime suspects. Your father needs to prepare to 'protect himself'.

3.) I have 3 KelTec's...mine work very well, but I carry them for the beach, church, and cutting the grass. If I really thought someone might make good on a promise of violence, the KelTec would stay home and Mr. 1911 would be in my carpool.

4.) It won't do any good to say, "He probably should have taken that threat more seriously!" Plan ahead and be very alert!

5.) If that individual was 'goofy enough' to make the phone call, I believe he could be goofy enough to take the next step...why think otherwise?

I wish you and your family the best...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Every threat should be taken seriously, personally were I him , I would find a way to carry the 357 with the P3AT as backup.

I have had a Gen 2 Kel Tec P3AT for a couple of weeks now. I have shot a box of the Winchester White Box (WWB) FMJ through it as well as a box of the Gold Dots with no failures at all. So far it is a great little gun. It is easy to carry anywhere and is better than 2 fists indeed. Since there has been a threat involved here, I also would probably try to carry a more leathal round, but the P3 is certainly better than nothing.
    But as already said, just because someone else has had good luck with a particular round and gun, is no safe bet that you won't. Get out there and put some rounds downrange!!

Ron

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Make sure you break it in. I can almost guarantee you will have a failure to eject or feed in the first hundred rounds or so. From what I hear, most keltecs do.

I have a Gen1 P3AT and it needed the "break in period". I went through about 200 rounds and only had 2 problems in the first box or so.

Now that I have cleaned and polished it a few times and put a few hundred rounds through it, I have no problems.

I also use Gold Dots in my Kel-Tec. I have had no problems with feeding or ejecting the GDs at all. I use a lot of different brands and have had good luck with all of them. The Gold Dots were what the shop had in .380, so I got them for the Kel-Tec. I also use Gold Dots in my Glock 27 (.40), Quick Shocks in my Sig226 (.357sig), and Corbons in my Beretta 92F (9mm). All seem to work well.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    My GF's father owns a VERY large well known company in central florida. Recently, in the past 2-3 weeks he has fired a digruntled employee. Last week the man called his office and left a message on his answering machine stating..

"You done fired the wrong MF'er. Im going to come up there and put a M.F'ing A.K. to your M.F.'ing head." ... click.

This was reported to the police, which in turn responded that they could not do anything about it. The number was was not registered to the person that called or something.. seems rediculous.
    Just Curious - Did the Police offer any Suggestion on how he could handle the situation?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i use federal hydrashoks in my P3at. find something that works in it, and have him carry the darn thing. It just may save his life. of course a .45 would make ME feel safer.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Just Curious - Did the Police offer any Suggestion on how he could handle the situation?
    Not that I am aware of. I believe they would have said something to boot with the rest of the story when they let me listen to the message. I asked if they reported it, they said 'of course'. "They said they cant do anything about it because the phone was not registered in the persons name that you believe called." (Or something very close to that)

(ADDED) Mr B is pro gun. However he is very new to carry on a daily basis. He has never had to think about it really before now. We have got him the 'green book' for florida gun laws.. has a Kahr on the front, written by an Orlando Attorney. Its updated twice a year I believe. Quite a valuable book to have, breaks down the castle doctrine, what self defense entails, how you can and can not carry in all situations basically. (Not all but almost all!) Im getting off track, however, we have talked about moving him up in calibers eventually once he gets used to daily carry with the tiniest, least burden weapon to carry.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Angry More Steps Needed

I would suggest that GF's father also take the next several steps:

• Notify the Board of Directors of the "very large well known company"
    • Said Board should immediately approve a professional security detail for the father 24/7 at company expense
    • Said security detail should also monitor company locations said employee worked at
    • Said security company should also provide significant and specific additional advice
    • The company has a responsibility to protect father, as he is majority owner or sole owner and more likely than not the predominant reason for the company's success - without father - no company or less successful or worse yet - succession battle harms company
    • Company should solicit advice of legal counsel to measure immediate and significant legal strategies against BG

This is not the time to consider a P3AT an adequate measure, although it is a small (no pun indended) start....

Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    May I suggest also trying to file a protection order, so if the BG does something less lethal but stupid, he can be put in jail? You may not be able to get the order, but at least trying will further establish the BG's pattern of behavior should a gun be needed by Mr. B.

I have two Kel Tecs (P32 and P3AT) that have functioned flawlessly since day one. Silvertips in .32 and WW Rangers, CorBon and Remington 88 gr. JHPs in .380. The Remington ammo tended to fragment in wet pack tests. I installed a NAA magazine hook on the .380 and now have a positive grip with my ring finger. This does affect drawing the gun from my pocket but the trade off in improved control is well worth it and very recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links