Caliber comparison for Northern New England woods...

Caliber comparison for Northern New England woods...

This is a discussion on Caliber comparison for Northern New England woods... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, kind of a new guy here. Been lurking for quite some time and need some advice, so I'm posting up lol. I own ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Caliber comparison for Northern New England woods...

Question Caliber comparison for Northern New England woods...

Hi all, kind of a new guy here. Been lurking for quite some time and need some advice, so I'm posting up lol.

I own and carry a SIG P226 currently chambered in .40s&w. I'm looking to do some coyote hunting as well as some hiking/camping/fishing with the family this summer and am in the midst of a dilemma. I'm looking for something that, if needed, could defend against an animal attack, be it bear or charging moose, or whatnot, and cant figure out what would be better, .40s&w +P offered by Buffalo Bore (which I gather from research is pretty close to the 10mm), or should I get myself a conversion barrel to .357SIG, and use the BB ammo in that caliber. Either way I would be going with a flat nose round in the woods. The Buffalo Bore website even mentions bear on the page for their flat nose low flash .357SIG ammo.

Now before I get a million responses saying "get a G20 10mm" or "you should carry a .44 magnum", I already know this would be ideal. However unfortunately bills need to be paid, gas needs to go in the Jeep, and my son needs to eat (not necessarily in that order lol), so dropping several hundred dollars on a new gun right now is just not possible. Besides, if I came home with another new gun the wife might shoot me with it... so I pretty much gotta work with what I got, at least for this summer.

So now, o internet gods, what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by dmicucci View Post
    I own and carry a SIG P226 currently chambered in .40s&w... I'm looking for something that, if needed, could defend against an animal attack, be it bear or charging moose, or whatnot, and cant figure out what would be better, .40s&w +P offered by Buffalo Bore... or should I get myself a conversion barrel to .357SIG, and use the BB ammo in that caliber...
    A charging moose???

If you were attacked by a rabid, 200 pound gray wolf, would you feel more comfortable with a flyswatter, or a rolled-up newspaper?

Regards,
    Jim
    BaconHunter likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I read an article in a gun magazine where a conservation officer took out a small black bear with a G23 .40 cal and it took 6 shots. The bear wasn't charging though, it had fallen into a pond and was swimming toward some of the visitors to the park. Didn't say what kind of ammo he was using though. I would imagine a swimming bear would make a better target than say.....one charging at you, and then 6 shots, well........ As for a charging moose, well you're on your own from here pal. Happy trails!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't let possession of "only" a .40 S&W chambered pistol keep me out of the woods, even with bear and moose present. I'd load it up with one of the 180 grain offerings, practice well with it, and then do my best to stay observant and aware while making the wilderness wanderings.

If a long arm is appropriate for your activities than the .30-30 carbine or short-barreled shotgun you may already possess would be a better choice than any handgun.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

First of all, moose tend to leave people alone as long as the people don't get too close. Most handguns are not good defense options against them. SA works wonders.

You are dealing with black bears. There again, unless you have a history of bad human/bear interactions being aware will keep you safer than being armed. Black bears for the most part will always avoid confrontation.

While in the woods either caliber will work for most scenarios. Be vigilant and be safe around the real biggest threat. Other people.

BEAR SPRAY,would very likely work really good on smaller critters too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Two legged critters are what I worry about out in the back country, well...at least when I've recently watched Deliverence that is.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Side question: In this scenario of defending possibly yourself against animals while hunting with a "defensive handgun caliber", would you use FMJ for penetration or JHP for expansion? I was just wondering while reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Side question: In this scenario of defending possibly yourself against animals while hunting with a "defensive handgun caliber", would you use FMJ for penetration or JHP for expansion? I was just wondering while reading this thread.
    This is also something I've been pondering...

Been doing tons of research (bored at work and internet on the phone leads to many, many ideas on how I can spend money I don't have lol) and have pretty much determined that DoubleTap offers a load in .357SIG that very closely mimic .357 magnum velocities; upwards of 675 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Coupled with a FMJ flat nosed bullet I believe that it would be a sufficient woods defense round. Alternate JHP and FMJ in the mag to get the best of both worlds maybe?

Does anyone have any experience with this round? DoubleTap Ammunition
    Keep in mind that my Sig p226 has a 4.5 inch barrel.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I would stick with good hot 180gr .40 rounds, either JHP or flat nosed, whichever floats your boat. Double Tap has a good reputation, but is very pricey to practice and ensure proper function with. I originally hail from northern Maine, so I can commiserate with you on the charging moose . Just some .02
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I will be posting a series of videos on my youtube channel this summer regarding balistics. I will be doing more than just the typical "shoot into water jugs" testing.
    I will be testing in the following situations:

shooting JHP through car doors and into balstic media
    shooting JHP through Pylwood and into balstic media
    shooting JHP through Drywall and into balstic media
    shooting JHP through car windows and into balstic media

If you want your round tested feel free to post message me and we can work something out. I don't have the means to buy all the common hand gun rounds on the market to test them. I have the means to test every round except the .357sig.

I would love to test some Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Duty/Critical Defense, Federal, Winchester, Etc. Post message me. for more details or sugestions.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Links