Target rounds VS Defensive rounds - Page 2

Target rounds VS Defensive rounds

This is a discussion on Target rounds VS Defensive rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Crescentstar As much as it pains me to "waste" the money, I shoot a couple of boxes of my carry ammo to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Target rounds VS Defensive rounds

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    As much as it pains me to "waste" the money, I shoot a couple of boxes of my carry ammo to be sure it functions properly. It won't be a waste if you figure out it doesn't feed or fire when you need it to defend your life.
    That's one of the reasons I switched my carry in my 1911 to the Guard Dogs- it's an E-FMJ. Hollow at the tip, with factory stress points to that the weight of the back of the bullet causes the front to 'collapse' back towards the main mass of the bullet. And it's a full, round nose; so there's no reason for it not to cycle properly in my 1911 unlike with some hollow-points.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    Bottom line for me is that I have never seen a handgun round fire as consistently and accurately as my glock 32 does. Not to mention 100 yds out i can still hit a beer can with it and I'd have to shoot all day with any of my other handguns to do that. My brother was skeptical so I went as far back as he wanted me too and still it the damn can. Took 3 shots but I got it. Tried it with his beretta and we hit the ground until we aimed high then still couldn't do it 50 rounds later.
    Yep, my EDC is a G32. Fourteen rounds of .357 like cartridges in such a light gun (21.5oz empty). Not a precision trigger for long range but great for SD use. Can't appreciate a fast and flat shooting cartridge until going 75yds or more.

But I want to talk you into carrying the 125gr bullets instead. They'll have more oomph at extended ranges. Did you know that the 115gr Hornadys (FTX) only goes 1235fps with 389ft-lbs energy at muzzle. Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 357 Sig :: 357 Sig 115 gr FTX® Critical Defense® which is less than 9mm+P ballistics. They're downloaded (probably for controllability) unless a typo. I put a heavier Wolff recoil spring (and steel guide rod) in my G32 and I wonder if those rounds would cycle reliably in it. I'm staying away from Hornady loadings.

Speer and Federal 125gr JHPs go 1350fps with 506ft-lb energy at muzzle out of a 4" barrel. Detail Page for Part # 23918, Federal Premium - Handgun Details

Want the most zip, get the Corbon 125gr JHP at 1425fps and 564ft-lbs at muzzle. 357 Sig 125gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP | COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo.

They have a decent 115gr loading at 1500fps but study the ballistics and the 125gr does outperform at longer distances. Besides, I think the extra lead can always help.

I would not trust any ammo in an auto loader that I have not shot at a dozen of. Further I always carry a clean gun so test your carry ammo before you dirty up the gun at the range, as this is a test you might not want to repeat real often.

I have been doing some research and I'm thinking I'll go with either the Corbon or the Speer gold dot. They seem to have the best reviews. I tried some of the hornadys at night and got flash blinded for a few seconds. So I think they"re out. I guess I'll buy some of each and do some milk jug and wood tests and see if either is more accurate close up or way out and things like that.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

RKM
    Fire enough of your defensive ammo to be sure it functions in your gun, shoots POA, and recoil is manageable. Otherwise, shoot target FMJ ammo. No reason to constantly shoot expensive HP ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    That's one of the reasons I switched my carry in my 1911 to the Guard Dogs- it's an E-FMJ. Hollow at the tip, with factory stress points to that the weight of the back of the bullet causes the front to 'collapse' back towards the main mass of the bullet. And it's a full, round nose; so there's no reason for it not to cycle properly in my 1911 unlike with some hollow-points.
    I like the concept, but don't like the 165gr weight in .45acp. Why don't they offer a 230gr version?

Once or twice a year I'll shoot my high dollar defensive rounds at a range session. I do this mainly to refresh my carry magazines with new PD ammo. This may mean only 2-3 magazines full 30-40 rounds depending, and I make every one of them count. Far as shooting similar target rounds that give similar felt recoil to PD rounds, I seem to think the 147gr FMJ is close to the 124gr+P I normally choose for 9mm. 40S&W doesn't have much choice in target ammo other than the 180gr, and I choose the 165gr for PD. I can't tell much difference in recoil between the two. 45ACP is about the same for me as well. 230gr range ammo and 185-230gr PD ammo. Things differ a bit more when you switch between long and short barrel pistols as well. Then again, things change when you shoot lighter pistols as opposed to heavier pistols.
    You do want to try out a decent amount (20-30rds) of your choice in PD ammo and choose 2-4 different brands/loads for the first time so you know what works best in your pistol(s), and for you. If you carry, I think you owe it to yourself to be proficient with your chosen pistol and ammo. Do the best you can and be confident in what you do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links