Target rounds VS Defensive rounds

This is a discussion on Target rounds VS Defensive rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Don't get a chance very often to use non target rounds while doing different shooting scenarios and experimentation's. What would your personal opinions be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Target rounds VS Defensive rounds

I Don't get a chance very often to use non target rounds while doing different shooting scenarios and experimentation's. What would your personal opinions be on the performance variances of defensive hollow points VS target rounds? I find it too expensive to shoot my Hornady's for a buck a piece in strictly a practice/ experimental way. So therefor I have done very little of it. Thanks in advance.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Senior Moderator
    I am going to assume that you meant defensive round,so I will change it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I don't think you will notice a huge difference in practice (unless your Hornady's are smoking hot and your target loads are weak). I practice with FMJ and lead cast reloads. That said, I used to use WWB in my .45 ACP (1911) before I got serious about reloading. My reloads are loaded to the top end of the scale and I'm getting 850 fps out of 230 grain (FMJ or lead cast) and more with lower bullet weights.
    Last edited by sniper58; April 29th, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    I Don't get a chance very often to use non target rounds while doing different shooting scenarios and experimentation's. What would your personal opinions be on the performance variances of defensive hollow points VS target rounds? I find it too expensive to shoot my Hornady's for a buck a piece in strictly a practice/ experimental way. So therefor I have done very little of it. Thanks in advance.
    Depending on what kind of target round you're using. Is it a wadcutter, semi-wadcutter, or FMJ?

Brass Fetcher Ballistic testing

I, personally carry Federal-Premium Hydra-Shoks (.357Mag), PMC Gold Starfires (.45ACP), or Federal-Premium Guard Dogs (.45ACP). Heard great things about all of them; the Starfires are supposed to open up to look almost exactly like a Black Talon, and the Guard Dogs are 'Expanding Full Metal Jackets"- so you don't have to worry about the hollow-point getting clogged with clothing and not expanding.

My target rounds are from Georgia-Arms, and I always use the heavier bullet. Most of the target I do is .38spl (158gr) instead of .357mag (158gr) due to cost. But, I always throw a few .357mags in at the end just to keep familiar with them. The .45ACPs are 230gr.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I hear ya, me too but you should fire off all rounds that have been chambered too many times and shoot enough of the defense ammo to make sure it cycles proper

Senior Moderator
    What would your personal opinions be on the performance variances of defensive hollow points VS target rounds?
    Bullets that are heavier or lighter than defensive loads may not shoot to the same point of aim.
    I would practice with my high dollar defensive rounds occasionally at least to ensure that the gun will cycle as it should.I would also want to know exactly where they impacted when I took a sight picture.

Yea, it can be expensive, but how much is your life worth? If you want to practice with the cheap stuff that's fine, as long as you are confident with the defensive loads that you carry and have no doubt as to function or accuracy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I find my Hornady Critical Defense bullets in .45 acp are actually a little more accurate than target loads. Of course, I might be sub-consciously aiming better since they are $1 each. I recently ran a 20 round box through my Kimber to make sure they function. I can say they are a little sharper on recoil than PMC or WWB, but not bad. I put 5 shots through almost the same hole at 7 yards. They are good bullets with no muzzle flash either.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I find my Hornady Critical Defense bullets in .45 acp are actually a little more accurate than target loads. Of course, I might be sub-consciously aiming better since they are $1 each. I recently ran a 20 round box through my Kimber to make sure they function. I can say they are a little sharper on recoil than PMC or WWB, but not bad. I put 5 shots through almost the same hole at 7 yards. They are good bullets with no muzzle flash either.
    I do that with Georgia-Arms target reloads. I can only believe that my brand new factory fresh Federal-Premium E-FMJs are at least that accurate.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I would never train with hollow points. Like you said, they're simply too expensive. As long as you shoot a mag or 2 of them to make sure they feed properly you should be set.
    Last edited by Burns; April 30th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Practicing with self defense loads, to me, is like practicing with hunting loads - necessary to some degree, not necessary all or even most of the time.

Most of the loads I put downrange are cheap stuff, even for hunting. Ballistic Tip instead of AccuBond, A-MAX instead of Scirocco II, and so on with the hunting loads.

Handloads instead of factory defensive ammo for the handguns except in those cases where my XTP/Gold Dot/whatever handloads are my defensive loads.
    Coyote Hunter
    NRA Life, GOA, DAD -- and I VOTE!

For Defensive carry rounds i use the Hornady Critical defense rounds 115gr. For Reg. shooting I use Winchester White box FMJ's 125gr. The problem is that being .357 sig I have to drive to the local cabelas to get any ammo or order online. The defensive rounds I have to order online because even cabelas only carries the 147gr. Hornady XTPs which i tried and shoot low at 25yds. I will tell you though, I have never been more impressed with a particular caliber than the .357 sig. At 75 yds I can hit an Apple monitor backing without dropoff from sighted aim. Any other caliber with various guns doesn't even come close. Not that I have tried every gun but still impressive. Just for info because I know it will be asked I have only tested WWII colt 1911, S&W M&P, S&W .357 titanium model 442, Berretta 9mm, walter p99, walter p22 and others that I don't use often but have tested it. Back to the topic though, so what your telling me is suck it up and shoot some of what I carry so i know. Damn there goes $50 bucks in 5 mins.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

I do about 95% of my target shooting wiith non self-defensive rounds, usually standard ammuntion
    from an off-brand maker. (another poster mentioned Georgia Arms, I always hit their table at my
    local gun show) I shoot semi-wadcutters or wadcutters if I am qualifing or checking accuracy (the
    nice round holes are easier to track) I save the $ 50.00 dollar a box HP ammunition for self defense.
    For example, I broke in a new Charter Arms Bulldog today with Magtech 200 grain cowboy loads.
    I'm saving the Cor Bon 165 grain HP for concealed carry.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

I also shoot .357Sig and use as EDC. Get a spare barrel in .40S&W (if you have a model that offers it) for flexibility. I kind of like the ballistics of a 155gr .40S&W.

I practice with standard FMJ loads of the same bullet weight as my carry rounds for any caliber. For the .357Sig, I'm using Speer Lawman 125gr TFMJ for practice and Federal 125gr JHP or Speer Gold Dots 125gr JHP for carry. The .357Sig was created to mimic the renowned stopping power of a .357Mag 125gr JHP (357 Magnum Stopping Power). Those statistics include over 1000 shootings. Note that the 110gr stats are not as good, although still deadly. Why step down to 115gr bullets in .357Sig? Could have stayed with a 9mm gun and used +P+ 115gr loads for carry.

Occasionally, I will run some carry rounds at the end of a range session for functioning/feeding tests and familiarity. Should not be much difference versus compared to someone practicing only with 9mm standard rounds but carrying +P or +P+ loadings. Wouldn't want to practice a lot with +P+ loads in a 9mm, especially in a compact or smaller gun. That's the nice thing about .357Sig guns, they're built for the cartridge specs so it's always full power!

I have tried +p+ for the beretta and found that the .357 sig is way more accurate and consistent and it doesn't beat up my gun shooting a the higher velocities because the sig is made for it. I'm thinking of converting to Winchester supreme elite bonded pdx1's because of their good reviews and the fbi uses them and damn if I'll ever have the experience that they collectively have. I never do 7 yd practice though, always 25 yd minimum and always have consistent 3" grouping. every other gun I own doesn't even come close except my little walter P22 places great grouping even while dumping a whole mag. Bottom line for me is that I have never seen a handgun round fire as consistently and accurately as my glock 32 does. Not to mention 100 yds out i can still hit a beer can with it and I'd have to shoot all day with any of my other handguns to do that. My brother was skeptical so I went as far back as he wanted me too and still it the damn can. Took 3 shots but I got it. Tried it with his beretta and we hit the ground until we aimed high then still couldn't do it 50 rounds later.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    As much as it pains me to "waste" the money, I shoot a couple of boxes of my carry ammo to be sure it functions properly. It won't be a waste if you figure out it doesn't feed or fire when you need it to defend your life.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links