3" Magnum 00Buck vs 2.75" 00Buck

This is a discussion on 3" Magnum 00Buck vs 2.75" 00Buck within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; something to watch about your shotgun in a house Just about any firearm you use inside a house will penetrate thru 2 1/2" sheets of ...

View Poll Results: What SD shotshell?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3" Magnum 00Buck (15 pellets)

6 10.34%
  • 2.75" 00Buck (9 pellets)

33 56.90%
  • Other shotshell

19 32.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 3" Magnum 00Buck vs 2.75" 00Buck

something to watch about your shotgun in a house
    Just about any firearm you use inside a house will penetrate thru 2 1/2" sheets of sheetrock.But 00 buck will seldom penetrate all the way thru a body,and in a lot of cases Birdshot will not penetrate deep enough to penetrate vital organs and may just piss off an attacker.
    I guess the most important thing is use something that will stop a threat, and practice so you don't miss
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Federal 2.75in. #4 Magnum Buckshot (34 pel.)
    Stubborn likes this.
    LEOSA Qualified: Semi-auto and revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Right now I am of the opinion that the Judge or the S&W shot pistol are better in home defense. The new 2 1/2" .410 PDX shoots 3 large pellets and BB sized shot. The short barrel spreds the BBs but the pellets go pretty straight. I had a chance to shoot a 2 shot .410 derringer a couple weeks ago and even that 10 oz gun was not too bad.

Winchester PDX1 .410 Demo - YouTube
    You know, I'm honestly impressed. It's really the intuitive load for the Judge as an SD weapon. I wonder what the penetration of the disks in gel is? The Judge gets mocked quite a bit for being too mall-ninjaesque, but if I was in close city quarters (and thus unwilling to use a normal pistol for fear of stray damage), this might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by awoodpd13 View Post
    Federal 2.75in. #4 Magnum Buckshot (34 pel.)
    I still don't know if I'd like the magnum. When it comes to shotguns and BGs, I think the follow-up shot is more important than ever. There're almost no scenarios where a few more pellets would've made a significant difference. Either you've hit well or you've not hit well. If you've hit well, more bullets won't make a difference. If you didn't hit well, you need to shoot again.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I don't think it matters much at in home ranges, but I would, and do, use a shotgun that will shoot EITHER 2 3/4", 3', shells so I don't have to be concerned about what shell I have loaded.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Just about any firearm you use inside a house will penetrate thru 2 1/2" sheets of sheetrock.But 00 buck will seldom penetrate all the way thru a body,and in a lot of cases Birdshot will not penetrate deep enough to penetrate vital organs and may just piss off an attacker.
    I guess the most important thing is use something that will stop a threat, and practice so you don't miss
    Makes me think about reinforcing some walls in what I call "shooting lanes" in the house with cement board behind the sheet rock. they have ballistics board but at 600.00 a sheet(8X4) the cement board (used in furnace areas) will work almost as good and for sure slow/stop bullets

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    There're almost no scenarios where a few more pellets would've made a significant difference. Either you've hit well or you've not hit well. If you've hit well, more bullets won't make a difference. If you didn't hit well, you need to shoot again.
    well hopefully with a a 3" those 6 extra pellets will take care of the 'hitting well' part for you. lol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I prefer the recoil of the 2.75" rounds. No need for magnum shotgun loads inside your domicile.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

For HD or close shooting, you do not need the larger.

For Farther distance, where you would want to increase you diameter of kill zone, then maybe.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have an Rem 1100 12ga in 3". Although gas operated, still kicks too much for me for controllable rapid repeat shots with 3" shells. Don't want to buy a Benelli to see if better. I'm not that heavy of a guy so I use 2&3/4" shells and in #0 or #1 buck. Using #0 buck gives up a little weight to #00 but more pellets can be fit in. #1 buck is not bad either. Here's a link to one article about payload and recoil of 12ga loads: Home Defense Shotgun Ammo. A #4 buck pellet does not meet the 12" penetration barometer for FBI for reliable stops in vital body structures.

For 3", I'd choose a Winchester 3" Super-X loading in #1 buck with 24 pellets (each is a .30" pellet weighing 40gr at 1040fps). Sort of like 24 .22LR bullets at the same time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    it's not really a debate for that. it's a question why people don't use 3" 00Buck which hold more .33" pellets.

It's like accepting a 1" buckshot with 3 .33 pellets when you could load a 2.75 with 9...

I'm sure he'll do down with 9 pellets in him, but why not put 15? anything worth putting 9 pellets is worth putting 6 more!
    The argument is a bit counter-intuitive. If the effectiveness of either the 2.75 or 3 is not in question, then whey not go with what is most controllable by the shooter? also 3/9 is a gain of 3, while 9/15 is only a gain of 1.67.

One other thing - and I dunno if its a factor for you - some homeowners need to consider that they might not be the actual shooter. I have a .357 686+, but I just use .38's. If my wife ever needs to use the gun when I'm not around, I don't want her to have to handle the extra oomph of a full-house .357.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Makes me think about reinforcing some walls in what I call "shooting lanes" in the house with cement board behind the sheet rock. they have ballistics board but at 600.00 a sheet(8X4) the cement board (used in furnace areas) will work almost as good and for sure slow/stop bullets
    Might also look into 1/2" Lexan sheets (around $900 online for 4x8) or some polycarbonate for a bullet resistant option. I don't have kids in the house now but might be an idea to somehow install near a child's bed to protect against probable shooting angles.

"I would like to mention one very important factor in choosing a buckshot load for dangerous game, and that concerns shot size selection. Most people would automatically pick 00 buck simply becuause it's so well know through TV westerns. In fact, the 12-pellet 12-gauge "baby magnum" load of 00 is considerably inferior to the same maximum powder loading of small NO. 1 buckshot in the same shell. The difference lies in the simple and astonishingly obvious fact that at .33 caliber, 00 buck is so large in the shell that there is much wasted space that could otherwise be filled with lead if the bearing surfaces of the big, round pellets didn't have to come into contact with each other. But they must. No. 1 buck is .30 caliber, only ten percent less in diameter than 00 buck and but thirteen grains per pellet lighter. However, because of the way the pellet mass fits into the shotshell, the same shell can fire an incredible seventy-five percent more pellets than the Magnum 00 load! What this means is that when you need help in a big way, you're launching eight hundred grains of lead at better than three thousand foot-pounds at the muzzle with No. 1 buck compared with a bit over six hundred grains and not quite twenty-four hundred foot-pounds with the 00 buck. If you don't reckon that can make a significant difference, you've never had something try to eat you.
    One might also bear in mind that eight hundred grains of lead in a swarm has the individual pellet impact area of an umbrella, for even though still in a solid mass at more or less ten yards, it covers a circular saturation point of about a 7-inch circle. Eight hundred grains, remember, equals a .458 PLUS a .375 at point blank, and you've got two barrels of the stuff, minimum."

HIJACKED from Peter Capstick..
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I use #1 buck. 2.75 inch. More shells in the tube; more pellets in the shell; meets the FBI penetration standard.

Done.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'm in the 2.75 inch crowd, but I prefer #4 buck.
    27 pellets of .240 never seen it used on a person...but it'll roll a coyote like a sledgehammer.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I use #1 buck. 2.75 inch. More shells in the tube; more pellets in the shell; meets the FBI penetration standard.

Done.
    This. #1 has the most pellets (and surface area) that meet the FBI min. penatration standard and 2.75" means six rounds in the tube for me vs. five with 3".

-john

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links