Remington Golden Saber HP vs. HPJ

This is a discussion on Remington Golden Saber HP vs. HPJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone explain the difference between Remington Golden Saber HP vs. HPJ? Most 25 count boxes for 9mm are $35, but Ammuntion To Go has ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vaquero 45
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: Remington Golden Saber HP vs. HPJ

Can someone explain the difference between Remington Golden Saber HP vs. HPJ? Most 25 count boxes for 9mm are $35, but Ammuntion To Go has the HP for $16. The Remington website doesn't show anything but the HPJ. Trying to figure out why one is half the price of the other. Thanks.

HPJ simply stands for High Performance Jacket, a Remington abbreviation. HP is the industry standard abbreviation for hollowpoint. They are the same ammo, unless one specifies "bonded" and one does not. The difference between bonded rounds and non-bonded rounds is that the jackets are "bonded" to the bullets in bonded rounds, making them hold together better during barrier penetration. Lots of LE agencies used bonded bullets for this reason. Non-bonded bullets are fine for self defense use.

If you want to compare one box of ammunition to another, look at the product code, not the abbreviations. For instance, Remington Golden Saber 124 grain 9mm ammo (standard pressure, non-bonded) is GS9MMB.

The ammo you see at Ammunition to Go is standard Golden Saber ammo. It is good stuff. I don't know who is charging $35 for a box of 25 rounds of ANY type of 9mm ammo, but that is a serious rip-off. $16 for 25 rounds of Golden Saber is a fairly good price, depending on shipping cost.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I absolutely love the 9mm golden sabers, preferably in 147 grain. During my own testing 147 GS literally turned themselves inside out, with the pedals curling all the way past the base of the bullet. Much more dramatic expansion then Hornady, IMO and in my own backwoods testing. Just a nasty expanding round!

Personally I find the golden sabers to be fine as far as defense. Some tests show the non bonded bullet having some core jacket separation issues, but not that would affect terminal ability. One thing I can tell you from personal experience regarding this round though is the extreme muzzle flash. My range is pretty low light and it fires a large ball of flame from the barrel in the 185gr +p load in .45acp. Might be an issue in a night fight.
    John123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Personally I find the golden sabers to be fine as far as defense. Some tests show the non bonded bullet having some core jacket separation issues, but not that would affect terminal ability. One thing I can tell you from personal experience regarding this round though is the extreme muzzle flash. My range is pretty low light and it fires a large ball of flame from the barrel in the 185gr +p load in .45acp. Might be an issue in a night fight.
    Good to know, thanks for that "golden nugget" smolck! I can't shoot at night at my range so haven't been able to compare flash signatures. What length barrel are you shooting out of with those results? I would imagine +P out of a short barrel would cause significant flash but have no valid experience in this subject (flash signatures).

I'm pushing standard pressure out of a 5 inch barrel, 147 grain 9mms feel like I'm shooting marshmallows on the shooter end (extremely low recoil, fast follow ups) but by the dramatic expansion lethal on the target end.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    Good to know, thanks for that "golden nugget" smolck! I can't shoot at night at my range so haven't been able to compare flash signatures. What length barrel are you shooting out of with those results? I would imagine +P out of a short barrel would cause significant flash but have no valid experience in this subject (flash signatures).

I'm pushing standard pressure out of a 5 inch barrel, 147 grain 9mms feel like I'm shooting marshmallows on the shooter end (extremely low recoil, fast follow ups) but by the dramatic expansion lethal on the target end.
    I'm shooting them from a 4" Kimber 1911. It is a BIG fireball

That's not a short barrel at all, I'm going to have to shoot at Low light with my 147s to see if it bothers me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    That's not a short barrel at all, I'm going to have to shoot at Low light with my 147s to see if it bothers me.
    Please let update this thread when you do and let us know. I don't think the 147gr load is +p so it might not flash as bad, dunno.

I use 230gr .45acp Golden Sabers in my EDC 3-inch 1911. Since, like most people, I have no personal experience in self-defense situations, my only alternative was to try to make a reasonably informed choice of ammo based on research. The nose of the GS around the hollow point is fat and rounded like the ball ammo 1911s were designed for and provides a smoother feed. The serrations in the rim of the hollow point are cut in a swirl pattern, which I believe will enhance expansion in the target. Then, the heavier 230gr weight causes the bullet to stay in the barrel a nano-second longer reducing the flash-ball a small bit, and also achieves better penetration. Gotta take any and every small advantage in a self-defense situation.

I can tell you from personal experience regarding this round though is the extreme muzzle flash. My range is pretty low light and it fires a large ball of flame from the barrel in the 185gr +p load in .45acp. Might be an issue in a night fight.
    You could singe the BG's eyebrows
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use the standard velocity 147 gr GS in my PPS and have been completely satisfied. No failures whatsoever, and the price is usually better than most of the other "custom" defensive loads out there.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Sponsored Links