Bullet setback - myth or reality - Page 2

Bullet setback - myth or reality

This is a discussion on Bullet setback - myth or reality within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bullet set-back is a reality and can result in some catastrophic failures of your firearm. So it is best to be alert to it happening. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Bullet setback - myth or reality

Bullet set-back is a reality and can result in some catastrophic failures of your firearm. So it is best to be alert to it happening.
    Here is a YouTube video that folks may want to watch
    Bullet Setback and Your Defensive Handgun - YouTube
    becka likes this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Sorry to reopen this again, but does anyone have any insight into how this issue affects the P938? I work from home alone full time so I carry at home, but I prefer to keep it in condition 3 in the house. I'm confident that nobody is going to be able to enter the house and get to me before I can rack the slide. When I leave the house I put it in condition 1, and when I get back home I unload it and put the round back in the mag (I don't carry +1) and go back to condition 3. I rotate the top 2 rounds.

Because I work from home, I don't leave the house every day. I go to the range at least every other week, and the first thing I do is shoot the stuff in my carry and backup mags (backup mag is fmj and is never carried in the gun). Because I rotate the top 2 rounds (Hornady Custom 147gr), each will be chambered a max of 4-5 times before being used at the range. I'm wondering if I have anything to be concerned about.

Yes, don't mess with your loaded mags too much. The more you load and unload and chamber and unchamber, the more setback. Do not shoot the set back ones.
    AzQkr and PhaedrusIV like this.

Yes, you've got something to be concerned about.
    AzQkr, PhaedrusIV and LimaCharlie like this.

It can and has happened in certain instances. Bottle neck handgun cases are great candidates for it. If your load is right at the max charge weight and you seat the bullet deeper than the known standard you raise the internal pressure above what the safety margin is. As was previously stated, its firearm specific. One handgun may cause it, while another wont. You wont know if yours does or doesn't unless you carefully measure the OAL of the loaded round after it has been chambered and ejected. Many people have successfully rechambered the same loaded round numerous times. Others have had problems with that practice. If you want to do it, chamber and eject a measured factory round and see if you get setback, then you'll have a good idea of whats happening. try this with the same round as many times as you want and see what happens. ONLY do this in a safe outdoors location and keep your finger away from the trigger at all times.

Go buy some early-production .357 Sig from Speer. Chamber it 6-7 times. Shoot it. Then you let US know if setback... is a myth.

(* please note - the above suggestion is SATIRICAL. In NO way am I suggesting anyone attempt to duplicate a potentionally disasterous condition. No stupid people have been harmed in the creation of this satire so far. Don't be...the first!)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

in terms of OAL measurement, how much difference between a new round and a previously chambered round is too much?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    in terms of OAL measurement, how much difference between a new round and a previously chambered round is too much?
    Well, if the bullet looks like your privates after you step into a tub of cold water, don't fire it.
    ghost tracker likes this.

I know, I know, but here goes anyway..........
    suppose one were to "ride the slide" in a positive, semi-forceful way, to chamber the first round
    might this lessen or eliminate bullet setback, as opposed to letting the slide slam forward on the first round chambered?

Quote Originally Posted by hackberry View Post
    Well, if the bullet looks like your privates after you step into a tub of cold water, don't fire it.
    yeah, well, that's not quite as quantitative as I was thinking (pretty funny though)

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    Depends on the caliber. Some are operating at the high-end of their pressure capability even in factory loadings (re: +P, +P+, .357 Sig, etc.) so they've got LESS tolerance for setback. Some calibers are not pushing their max-capability quite so hard, so they are less-effected by the same setback distance. It DOES exist and it's NOT a cliff that you wanna'...dance on the rim!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

In more than 46 years of carrying 1911's I've NEVER had a problem with any cartridges I've used as far as so called 'bullet setback'.
    SatCong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    Sorry to reopen this again, but does anyone have any insight into how this issue affects the P938? I work from home alone full time so I carry at home, but I prefer to keep it in condition 3 in the house. I'm confident that nobody is going to be able to enter the house and get to me before I can rack the slide. When I leave the house I put it in condition 1, and when I get back home I unload it and put the round back in the mag (I don't carry +1) and go back to condition 3. I rotate the top 2 rounds.

Because I work from home, I don't leave the house every day. I go to the range at least every other week, and the first thing I do is shoot the stuff in my carry and backup mags (backup mag is fmj and is never carried in the gun). Because I rotate the top 2 rounds (Hornady Custom 147gr), each will be chambered a max of 4-5 times before being used at the range. I'm wondering if I have anything to be concerned about.
    I wouldn't think that chambering 4-5 times would be a problem in a quality round loaded in a quality firearm. But, to be certain, look up the manufacturer's specs on the round you're using, find the minimum OAL. Then measure a round, chamber it 10-20 times & measure it again. Compare your second measurement to the first to see how much it set back, and more importantly, compare it to the minimum OAL. If your second measurement is anywhere close to getting down to the minimum, then you will need to reconsider your habit of unloading/ unchambering when you get home.

Side note: are you manually rotating the 2nd round out of the magazine? Because the process you described sounds to me like you're just using the same round, not rotating.
    The only safe place is heaven, and if you aren’t prepared everywhere else, you may get there sooner.

My Sig P938 is pocket carried and left on the nightstand in condition one until I go to the range or it gets cleaned. Why constantly load and unload it?
    C Bennett likes this.

Distinguished Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    Reality..BUT it obviously depends on how often you chamber and unchamber the exact same round.. do i even look...nope mostly because the ONLY time it gets chambered/unchambered is if I unload a mag to take it to the range..other than that one stays in the pipe could be there for MONTHS if its the winter and i dont go to the range..I also make sure that what ever one was in the chamber goes in my pocket and the rest in a box/baggie till im ready to reload for CC cary..then that one that was in the pipe gets put in forst..aka becomes the last round in the mag...and another moves to the one thats getting chambered...

I think the only time this becomes a problem is if you are one of those guys that carries daily and you actually take the bullet out of the chamber for some reason also daily...put it back in mag and always rechamber the same bullet OFTEN/daily...Maybe someone in say a LE/Police dept may have issues with this if they clear their guns daily...and then just take the bullet they pop out and put it back in magazine on top ALWAYS..and then rechamber same bullet daily every day...

But for those of us that dont do this you should never see a issue from it. i mean i think the MOST mine may get chambered/unchambered is 2-3 times a MONTH..and normally just 1 or 2 as I dont always shoot the pistol at the range sometimes we just do rifles,.22's or the AR.. this would equate to maybe 14 rounds in a year that go in and out...ONCE...no issue IMO.. and then every 3-4 years or so I rotate carry ammo..buy all new shoot off all the old..been doing this for 20+ years never any issues..even when i became aware of this i checked nd i check a new box of ammo VS the rounds I used for 3 years..look side by side..same no setback to any of them..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links