How do Golden Saber Bonded and Gold Dots compare?

This is a discussion on How do Golden Saber Bonded and Gold Dots compare? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Local gun shop has both in 9mm, both in 124gr +P and in 147gr. GS is $1.50 more per $50 compared to Gold Dot. Cost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do Golden Saber Bonded and Gold Dots compare?

How do Golden Saber Bonded and Gold Dots compare?

Local gun shop has both in 9mm, both in 124gr +P and in 147gr. GS is $1.50 more per $50 compared to Gold Dot. Cost isn't really a big issue for me. Just wondering if the extra $1.50 for the GS is worth it, or what makes them more expensive?

Just curious to hear what you guys think.

2. Remove Ads

First question to answer is will both function flawlessly in your particular handgun. If yes, they are both well respected rounds and both have met the ballistic tests for defensive ammunition. The major differences will be in their respective marketing. You won't be at a disadvantage with either.

For me I prefer the Gold Dots since I've shot several hundred without a single hiccup.

Just make sure that which ever one you go with fire at least a box or two without any malfunctions.

I've shot both rounds in both grains/pressures, and both feed and eject just fine.
    Thanks for the info :)

I use the Speer Gold Dots in my Glock 26, the 124 grain load. They are very accurate. With 147
    grain ammo my Glock tends to shoot high. I also use Remington Golden Sabers in my Taurus
    66 .357 Magnum which is my nightstand gun. I put .38 Special +P in it for self-defense purposes.
    Both brands of ammunition perform well, but I use them almost exclusively for self-defense, they
    are a bit on the expensive side.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

sgb
    Both the GD 124+P and the GS 147 pass the FBI Protocol. In the 9mm line of GS ammunition the 147 is the only one that does meet the FBI protocol.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

For whatever reason (both in 124gr +P), I am more accurate with the GS with 3/4 pistols (G19, XDm and HK USPc)-no difference in my G26.

With several ballistic tests I have found it seems the Golden Saber's seem to suffer from core/jacket separation. Food for thought, assuming it's the same type of golden saber that is popular.

Unfortunately when he tested the 9mm rounds, he hadn't gotten to making the sim test media. But this is the 124gr sabre vs the gold dot. I'd use Gold Dots over Sabres for the lower muzzle flash of the Gold Dot powder. Just a backyard test, not sure you'll get anything from it, but here ya go. If I was going to carry a 9mm for self defense, I'd use video #3.

PM513 likes this.

To make you even more confused, I grew up with the understanding that ever weapon has a preference for a certain type (weight, velocity and powder load/type).
    Additionally, two consecutively serial numbered guns will always be slightly different in their "choice" of ammo.
    I guess that you have to try both or more out and see how they function in your pistol.
    Now remember, this only is only applicable if you can hit the correct body part you're aiming for. You don't get "do overs" in a gun fight.
    Ive shot them both and a lot more and find Remington to work just swell. But then again, my 1911 will cycle empty's, thanks to the custom work of the late Austin Behlert.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

RKM
    I'm a fan of 147gr HST. I carry Gold Dot's in my J-frame.

The Sabre is a good round but the gold dot in my book is a great round. It and the HST are favorites. They penetrate and expand well and I never have had them separate from the jacket like some

Sent from my 300 baud modem

In all of the Youtube tests I have seen, Gold Dot has been far more consistent as far as expansion and weight retention. I would carry any weight Gold Dots. If I had to carry Golden Sabers, I would only carry the 147gr Golden Sabers as they seem to be the best performing in the GS line.
    They seem to have bad core/jacket separation and the hollow points become clogged more often than other premium bullets.

I carry Federal HSTs 147+P.

I carry Gold Dots in my 9mm and .357Sig.

Corbon DPX in my 45acp and 45LC.

Youtube does have some interesting tests on alot of ammo.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Both are on DocGKR's 'Approved' list:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Having said that, I prefer the Gold Dots!

With reference to the jacket separation issue of the GS, I was under the impression that was with the standard ones and not the new bonded ones...or have they always been bonded and they just changed their packaging/labeling? Can anyone shed light on this? It may make a difference in the OP's decision and the discussion.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links