Wolf Ammunition - Page 2

Wolf Ammunition

This is a discussion on Wolf Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the old green cased stuff that was coated with laquer was a mess to shoot, the laquer cooked off when cycled fast and coated the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wolf Ammunition

the old green cased stuff that was coated with laquer was a mess to shoot, the laquer cooked off when cycled fast and coated the chamber, and shot dirty.
    However the new polly coated gray case is just the opposite. will not cook off and shoots very clean and is accurate (45 acp)

DNM
    Didn\'t like the few I\'ve shot. And 2 out of probably 15 of them \"blasted\" in my face... :O

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    The new poly wolf i\'ve heared nothing but good stuff about. It seems to do a lot better in \"western\" guns.

It\'s an oddity in the gun world, a manufacturer that listens to it\'s customers criticisms and moves to improve.

Anyway, my AR is getting fed wolf if it will take it. The war in iraq is sucking up a lot of ammo. Cheap surplus .223 is a thing of the past. Lake City is selling nothing but factory seconds now and for over $200/case of 1000. Wolf poly 223 at $105/case of 1000 is a godsend.

Ditto above, worked fine in my SKS, crappy in my other weapons.

I generally try to stay away from this, and I never buy it. Occassionally I\'ve gotten Wolf rounds for free and have fired them after carefully inspecting them. It should be noted that I cannot remember having had any failures with Wolf ammunition.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have fired Wolf .223 in a friend's AR15s and in two of mine, all with no problems. No crud buildup, no varnish problems, no fireworks. All guns used were mil-spec chambers (sloppy) as opposed to "target chambers" (tight and unlikely to work well with Wolf). I've probably fired ~2K of Wolf ammo to date.

I have some 9mm as well, but haven't cracked that case open yet (don't fire much 9mm).

A friend with a registered Mac-11 and I go through a couple thousand in an afternoon with some regularity. I\'m more afraid of the old aluminum Blazer in guns that run hot - seen some separations and cookoffs from it I've never seen elsewhere.

In 223, my Carbon 15 pistol doesn't prefer the lacquer stuff as it gets obscenely hot if I dump a couple mags through it, which is the fault of the gun's design and 7.5" barrel, but runs like a champ with the polymer even when you can damned near light a smoke from the side of the barrel. The Daewoo DR-200 has never cared one way or another.

In .45, one of my 1911s doesn't like it - it's ironically the cheap Armscor gun, while my Springfield eats it all day long. My M10/45 doesn't care.

In 9mm, the Uzi, AP-9, and M11/9 eat it until the sun comes up, and the AP-9 is picky about ammo. Helwan, Tokarevs, Sigs, Browning Hi-Power and clones, and everything else I own doesn't care one bit whether it's Wolf or regular.

The new .308 ran fine in the one FAL I tested it in, but it occupies a price
    range between surplus and regular commercial and I don't see much call for it.

In 7.62x39, well, that's what the guns were designed to eat. And I don't have a semi 7.62x54 so it's not exactly difficult to feed and extract from a bolt gun. ;)

The funniest thing is that the Makarov doesn't like the Wolf I've fed it - it prefers CCI Blazer JHP out of the stash.

gunsmiths sure like wolf ammo.

durn near guarantees future work for them.

:D

So how dose it guarnte them work, surely that old myth that the steel cases will wear the gun out again. Also remember the key word here is the poly coated stuff, this is a vast improvement over the old stuff.

all i know is that when i stop by my gunsmiths shop, theres always at least one phone call that comes in from someone with a stuck case.

i spend good money to buy a gun.

i spend good money to buy gun accessories.

why should i scrimp when it comes to feeding my guns?
    :D

sounds like to old laquer coated stuff, the stuff caused a lot of problems in guns with tight chambers. The laquer would melt off and coat the chamber and form a black goo that was a mess to remove and caused a lot of jams if left alone.

I have no problems with it in my mosin's or my AK.

I attended a meeting/machine gun shoot in October for missouricarry. John Ross fed only wolf ammo to his Uzi, MP5, Thompson, M3 and a glock 18 with no lock ups or stuck cases. And we shoot a lot of ammo through them.

Maybe the stuff is getting better.

There's also the simple fact that I bet a lot of gunsmiths or stores would ask "Did you shoot any of that Wolf crap?" and blame ANY problems with the gun on the ammo.

I've seen it happen in person.

Cool

I shoot a .45 and I've stayed away from Wolf on advise from those smarter than me. I mostly use Independence for range shootng (Brazilian I think)....I've also used UMC (remington) but quit when I got two misfires in one box. Independence has been very dependable and really no dirtier than winchester or remington target loads.

Ive used it in a Ak and SKS and doent even think i would use it in them again

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links