Wolf Ammunition

This is a discussion on Wolf Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend has been loading some hot .45 ACP for sub-guns using Wolf steel cases he picked up on the range. His theory is that ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wolf Ammunition

Wolf steel cases

A friend has been loading some hot .45 ACP for sub-guns using Wolf steel cases he picked up on the range. His theory is that the steel case will stand more pressure in the unsupported area of the case wall. This fellow is not a beginner, nor is he careless. He is a very knowledgeable shooter and loader, using everything from rimfires to .50 cal Browning, and a very qualified gunsmith. You'll see him at the SHOT Show wearing a name tag that reads Special Weapons, Inc., Las Vegas. Nuff said.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    No problems with wolf thru my AR. Even with sustained rapid fire. I am using the new poly coated ammo. 600 rnds so far and no FTF/FTE ect. It does dirty the gun up more than other ammo. I reload for my pistols , so haven't tried the pistol ammo. Seem lots of people don't liek wolf cause it doesn't run thru their guns. Maybe its the guns fault.

I've so far put over 1000 rds of Wolf thru both my Sig P245 and My Colt Commander 45 and not had ANY problems, whatsoever. I'll keep shootin' it for matches.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The only caliber of Wolf I have bought is 9mm Makarov. The Bulgie digests it without a hiccup just like it digests everything else. I did find the CCI Blazers cleaner and more accurate, but with 9x18 sometimes you have to take what you can find.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

I run .45, and 9mm. I can only say for sure the amo caused one problem with my Glock 21. And two problems in my wifes H&K 9mm. For range work the savings is worth a problem or two. I buy it in bulk from Cabela's, and even with shipping it is a good price.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

the old lacquer stuff sucked...seriously...the new polymer coated stuff (dark gray finish) works fine in my Oly Arms M4...granted it isnt the most accurate, but it feeds, shoots, and ejects just fine..good cheap ammo. Havent used it in the 45's...I reload enough for that

My 1911 didn't like um, jams, miss fired, and just plain dirty
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I use wolf and have not had any problems and will continue to buy.

i've run 4k rounds of it through my Bushy, maybe 4 or 5 out of that batch had dud primers, but other wise shot fine. My ak has never tasted anything but wolf and works fine. My glock 17 has eaten a single box of 50 and it didnt seem to have any problems with it. For plinking ammo, wolf is fine.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

My gunsmith (GUN DOC of Florida) is also a ranked IPSC shooter. He was slumming at one of our IDPA matches and pointed something out when he watched me shoot a stage with wolf. The extracted cases were basically dribbling out of the Sig P245 I was shooting at the time and gathered in a small pile at my feet. They barely had enough power to complete the cycle. Also, I'm pretty sure that my H&K USP warranty flatly states that ammo like Wolf or Blazer should not be used as it may damage the gun. I guess that means no steel or aluminum casings.

You'll notice I said something markedly DIFFERENT just exactly a year ago! Well, the match with my 'smith happened in the intervening months....I went thru the rest of my wolf stock and won't buy anymore....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Over 2k in my Colt AR-15,No problem.

I put about 100-200rds of 115 FMJ 9mm through my GLOCK 26. It felt like I was loading sandpaper but it functioned just fine. I don't buy it anymore and won't again for 9mm because I can buy 100rds of Winchester White Box for $11.95 and its much better.

I bought 45's and 30-carbine's last week on recommendation from someone...thought it was here. Should've done some more research...just found this post today.

Yesterday, I took my Taurus PT-145 and shot 100 rounds of the Wolf .45 ammo. Not good. In 100 rounds, I had 3 jams and 6 FTF.

I still have 200 rounds of .45, and about 300 rounds of 30-carbine (haven't tried that yet). Not sure whether I should use it up and never buy again, or dump it... Is it doing any harm?

VIP Member
    For the outdoor range I use it all the time in my AK, SKS,G17 and my Taurus PT945. At the indoor range they will not let me use Wolf. Not sure why. But I have never had ant problems.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I use Wolf in my AR15s and another buddy's AR15s as well. No problems and cheap fodder.

I tried Wolf .45 and 9mm ammo in various handguns and had much problem with feeding issues.

My conclusion is that guns with sloppy chambers work fine with it, those with tight chambers, don't feed it well at all.

I'll continue to buy and use it in my mil-spec or mil-surp rifles. I'll never use it again in any of my handguns.

So consider this a "mixed review".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links