Wolf Ammunition - Page 4

Wolf Ammunition

This is a discussion on Wolf Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As Hitman said, the .22 is great, the rest I haven't had much luck with. It worked in my Mini 30, but was'nt overly accurate. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wolf Ammunition

As Hitman said, the .22 is great, the rest I haven't had much luck with. It worked in my Mini 30, but was'nt overly accurate. The .22 is a favorite at silhouette matches (subsonic), and Wolf bought out S.K. Jahd, a reputable German company. I have both Wolf and S.K., and they are interchangable.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by clubsoda22
    The new poly wolf i\'ve heared nothing but good stuff about. It seems to do a lot better in \"western\" guns.

It\'s an oddity in the gun world, a manufacturer that listens to it\'s customers criticisms and moves to improve.

Anyway, my AR is getting fed wolf if it will take it. The war in iraq is sucking up a lot of ammo. Cheap surplus .223 is a thing of the past. Lake City is selling nothing but factory seconds now and for over $200/case of 1000. Wolf poly 223 at $105/case of 1000 is a godsend.
    Wolf is carrying M193 clone with brass cases made in Serbia now. Just bought 200 rounds to try it out in my AR.

Matt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    Wolf is carrying M193 clone with brass cases made in Serbia now. Just bought 200 rounds to try it out in my AR.

Matt
    Matt, I bought some for my cousin and he says they are very good. I didn't know where it was made. A contact at a gunshop told me that they got a letter from a Wolf rep (I don't know whether it was from the importer or the company itself) letting them know that Wolf had signed a contract with one of the big ammo manufacturers in Finland to produce ammo with brass cases for them to sell under the Wolf brand. I don't know anything about Finnish manufacturers except that they have good reputations. I can't remember the company name. I was wondering if the .223 I bought was from Finland.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I've shot several thousand rounds of 9mm and 45 acp no problems.
    Will continue to buy and not worry about my gun .If they break I get
    them fixed!Our goverment us steel case ammo in world war two when brass was scarce so if it was all right for a 1911 it's good enough for me.

I put a box of 40 cal thru my Taurus Mill. Pro, worked fine, shot good, only problem was it's messy as all get out.I won't buy it again just because of the mess.

Thumbs up It's fine by me..

I agree with Stetson. I've started using it quite regulary in my XD-45 service pistol at the range with no complaints(Springfield Armory has a lifetime guarantee) Other than that I use Hydrashok 230 grain HP.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I think that the damage claims are very over-stated.

However, my experiences with Wolf in pistols (S&W 39-2, H&K P7M8, Taurus PT-111, S&W 1911) was that they became "jam-o-matics" . . . great for malfunction drills, but really sucks if you planned on shooting!

Wolf is a very popular round here in 9mm,40 and .45 especially for practice and IDPA matches.

I have seen thousands of rounds fired and never seen any damage of any kind with the newer polymer coated ammo.

I personally have shot several thousand rounds in 9mm and .45. It does smell and gets your hands dirty. I don't think the gun gets any dirtier than with WWB. It has always performed just as well as any other ammo as far as reliability and accuracy.

I think there is better ammo out there but I think you are perfectly safe to shoot Wolf if you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotelcharlie
    A friend has been loading some hot .45 ACP for sub-guns using Wolf steel cases he picked up on the range. His theory is that the steel case will stand more pressure in the unsupported area of the case wall. This fellow is not a beginner, nor is he careless. He is a very knowledgeable shooter and loader, using everything from rimfires to .50 cal Browning, and a very qualified gunsmith. You'll see him at the SHOT Show wearing a name tag that reads Special Weapons, Inc., Las Vegas. Nuff said.
    Interesting...steel casings from Wolf ammo is generally not supposed to be reloadable due to the type of primer (Berdan) and some possible crimping issues. If their .45 ACP is Boxer primed it probably could be reloaded.

I have shot Wolf 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP out of my five Sigs and .223 and 7.62x39 out of my AR, AK and SKS with no more problems than I have ever had with Winchester, Remington, Lancer, Georgia Arms, Blazer, and Federal. In short, it works fine. A little dirtier than most, a little cleaner than some. If you have it and don't like it, karma it off.
    Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

I use it for practice as I like to shoot about a 1,000 rounds when I go shoot.
    Yes it is nasty and the guns will have to be cleaned real good - for sure!
    You might try the Academy Sports CCI-Blazer ammo if you live in Texas or they have them where you live at. This stuff is cheap and shoots good too.
    I shoot 9mm in the Kahr PM-9, Berretta 92FS and I practice with whatevers cheap.

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As I said in my post "Bitten by the Wolf!", I just had my first problem with Wolf ammunition. I've shot it for the past year in My Beretta 92 FS, my Glock 19, and my Glock 26. Never a problem. I bought 250 rounds of 45 ACP to use in my XD 45. It would feed the first round, maybe the second, then jam. I would have to use my knife to remove the jammed cartridge (making sure that the gun stayed pointing downrange). I would then fire the chambered round, and the next would jam. I had around 10 magazines loaded, so I changed magazines a few times (since these were factory mags, and basically new, I would have been surprised to find it to be the magazine, but I wanted to be sure). Each mag did exactly the same. I unloaded a magazine, and loaded my remaining UMC ammo- fired without a problem. I put in one of my mags loaded with Federal Expanding point ammo, which I've started to use for my defensive ammo. No problems. So, no more Wolf for me, at least in 45 ACP. Too bad I can't trade the 240+ cartridges of 45 for 9mm. At least I could shoot that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker
    As I said in my post "Bitten by the Wolf!", I just had my first problem with Wolf ammunition. I've shot it for the past year in My Beretta 92 FS, my Glock 19, and my Glock 26. Never a problem. I bought 250 rounds of 45 ACP to use in my XD 45. It would feed the first round, maybe the second, then jam. I would have to use my knife to remove the jammed cartridge (making sure that the gun stayed pointing downrange). I would then fire the chambered round, and the next would jam. I had around 10 magazines loaded, so I changed magazines a few times (since these were factory mags, and basically new, I would have been surprised to find it to be the magazine, but I wanted to be sure). Each mag did exactly the same. I unloaded a magazine, and loaded my remaining UMC ammo- fired without a problem. I put in one of my mags loaded with Federal Expanding point ammo, which I've started to use for my defensive ammo. No problems. So, no more Wolf for me, at least in 45 ACP. Too bad I can't trade the 240+ cartridges of 45 for 9mm. At least I could shoot that.
    Run a karma on the forum and get rid of the remaining 240+ rounds.
    Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    However, my experiences with Wolf in pistols (..... H&K P7M8,......) was that they became "jam-o-matics" . . . great for malfunction drills, but really sucks if you planned on shooting!
    Post that over at PCT, and hooded men will come to your home, tie an M10 around your neck, and throw you in the nearest lake!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I use it for practice on all muy pistols.No problems!I will continue
    to buy because it allows me to shot more often and more rounds
    down range.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links