Hornady TAP 200gr or Speer gold dot short barrel?

This is a discussion on Hornady TAP 200gr or Speer gold dot short barrel? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that carry 3" and 4" 1911s which of these two would you choose? Cost is about $6 less for the Hornady ...

Thread: Hornady TAP 200gr or Speer gold dot short barrel?

For those of you that carry 3" and 4" 1911s which of these two would you choose? Cost is about $6 less for the Hornady and I've been able to easily find it as opposed to the Gold dot short barrel.
    Let's leave out the "whatever functions reliably in your pistol" That's a given requirement. I'm interested in comparisons and thoughts on the ammo itself assuming they function reliably.
    And spare the "any 1911 under 5" doesn't work" I've got two that run fine.
    Thanks.

Have not tried the Hornady TAP yet. Was trying GD but they like to choke now and then so they are out for my Commander. Seems to feed other hollow points but I discovered EFMJ's and like the way they shoot.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I don't know about the larger sizes but in tests I've seen of .380 and 9mm the Hornady failed to expand. Given those two to choose from I would pick Gold Dot.

I was reading something from CorBon. It either stated that there was a DPX for short barrel .45, or that the .45 DPX they offered would be suitable for short barrel guns.

Username, I have also considered the Corbon's but I've only been able to find it in +p online any idea on a source?
    I haven't read much about the EFMJ, what drew you to them Cruisr?

Have not seen any gelatin test for 200gr TAP, but the Hornady TAP
    230gr performed poorly when fired from a 4.6" Glock 21. The Speer GD 230gr SB performed nicely when fired from the 3.8" Glock 30. I would clearly choose the GD's for a 4 inch gun. I probably would not choose either for a 3 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Have not seen any gelatin test for 200gr TAP, but the Hornady TAP
    230gr performed poorly when fired from a 4.6" Glock 21. The Speer GD 230gr SB performed nicely when fired from the 3.8" Glock 30. I would clearly choose the GD's for a 4 inch gun. I probably would not choose either for a 3 inch.
    What would you choose for a 3 inch gun?

ammo

get which ever one is cheaper it won't make much difference, I'm sure the BG won't be able to tell them apart.
    I'm a Marine and I have a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    That sir is some high dollar ammo. I suppose if I don't find anything comparable I'll be paying for it though. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky68 View Post
    get which ever one is cheaper it won't make much difference, I'm sure the BG won't be able to tell them apart.
    You know in the back of my mind I know this is true and I'll likely never have to use it anyway (hopefully). But there's always that part of me that wants to make sure I'm making the best decision I can.

Quote Originally Posted by divkat9 View Post
    That sir is some high dollar ammo. I suppose if I don't find anything comparable I'll be paying for it though. Thanks for the link.
    I buy it locally for about the same price. You need to see what the shipping is versus the tax in your area.

Here is an article about the .45 short barrel DPX
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...20gr%20DPX.htm

I don't want to sound like I'm doing an ad campaign for CorBon. I just think it is a good round from what I've seen.

Do some looking around online. There are some 1911 boards that have test info in them. You may find something that performs well at a much better price.

I haven't read much about the EFMJ, what drew you to them Cruisr?
    Well, I was trying out several different types of defense ammo. I like the pure dependability of ball but also like any extra edge I can get. I'd been through a long process of rebuilding an older LW Commander which was very finicky about ammo untill we were finally done with the tuneup. The one round I tried, besides ball, that never missed a lick during this time was the EFMJ. I wouldn't want to feed an aluminum framed .45 a steady diet of +P but this stuff dosn't recoil bad at all. It has a quicker snappier feel but less muzzle jump, return to target is quicker than ball for me. It also seemed to be grouping tighter than many rounds I tried. Don't know if it's because of the way it works for me or bullet design but I do shoot it better than most hollow points. The difference is small but there.

So, for me at least, the EFMJ was coming out as the best overall performer besides the ball. It also has shown excellent barrier penetration in tests and very reliable expansion despite layers of fabric, penetrating glass or metal or whatever. The developer of the round has quite a reputation, inventer of the hydro shock being just one. I figure that any decent self defense round will fill the bill and I do still like ball as well but for now I found this to be the combination I like the best.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

What would you choose for a 3 inch gun?
    Based upon gelatin tests with 3" 1911, etc. , in no specific order:
    1) Winchester Ranger T 230gr +p
    2) Federal LE Tactical 230gr +p
    3) Corbon DPX 185gr +p
    4) Corbon DPX 160gr

I don't have a 1911, but I have a Taurus PT 24/7 in .45 with a 4" barrel. I shot two boxes of Hornady TAP and I've got to say that it was crap. The bullets almost consistently warped or didn't expand at all. I've never tried the Gold Dots, but I currently use Winchester Ranger SXT's (regular pressure).

Cheers.

Alot of good information and links here. I'm going to try out several of the brands you folks recommended and go from there. Thanks again!

Links