DoubleTap 9mm

DoubleTap 9mm

This is a discussion on DoubleTap 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience with DoubleTap 9mm ammo in a carry gun? I'm really interested in the 124 gr. +P Bonded Defense for my Kahr ...

Thread: DoubleTap 9mm

DoubleTap 9mm

Anyone have any experience with DoubleTap 9mm ammo in a carry gun? I'm really interested in the 124 gr. +P Bonded Defense for my Kahr CW9.

I carry DT 9mm +P 124gr bonded (Gold Dot) as my defense round. They have a good reputation or precision manufacuring and perky loadings. The Gold Dot is a good performer so I think it is a winning package.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; May 7th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I carry DT 9mm +P 124gr bonded (Gold Dot) as my defense round. They have a good reputation or precision manufacuring and perky ladings. The Gold Dot is a good performer so I think it is a winning package.

-john
    Thanks bzdog. What do you shoot it through?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post

paper, cardboard, friends laptops...

actually soak 2 phone books in water overnight and bring an old pair of bluejeans to drape 2 layers infront of the paper..wrap the whloe bundle not too tight.

the damage s comperable to gelatin and people.
    .....any volunteers?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

actually soak 2 phone books in water overnight and bring an old pair of bluejeans to drape 2 layers infront of the paper..wrap the whloe bundle not too tight.

the damage s comperable to gelatin and people.
    .....any volunteers?
    Me thinks he means, what firearm are you using and maybe what barrel length!

I carry DT 357 Sig 147gr in my P2000 SK with a 3.6" barrel. After 20 rounds for break-in (100 rounds of Winchester Ranger T-Series prior to the DT) I'm saving them for only BGs.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    HK P2000SK and Sig P239.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I carry DT 9mm +P 124gr bonded (Gold Dot) as my defense round. They have a good reputation or precision manufacuring and perky loadings. The Gold Dot is a good performer so I think it is a winning package.

-john
    Why not just use Gold Dot 124gr+P? It's a larger manufacturer with very strict QC. I had a box of DoubleTap TAC-XP 9mm that had stovepipe after stovepipe in both my XD9 and M&P Shield

The SK has a 3.25" barrel which is pretty short. If you look at advertised velocities, they measure with longer barrels, if they disclose the barrel length at all. The way I see this is you are going to lose velocity with these short barrels, so if the DT is advertised as 1295 and the Speer as 1150 and each loses 200 fps out of the SK, you end up with 1095 vs 950.

In the end, perhaps it doesn't matter. To a certain extent you find something good and stick with it.

*shrug*

-john

(Note DT discloses the barrel lengths)

Bzdog-

That's a valid point. In guns and ammo they tested ammo out of 4" and then 3" barrels and found that the average loss of velocity was about 80 fps per inch under 4". Gold dot does their.testing from 4".

FWIW, when I originally looked into this, I had seen posts independently confirming posted DT advertised velocities. After I posted last night I did a bit of searching and noticed a number of posts where independant tests were not getting the advertised velocities.

I also found the Speer tests (on the Speer site), and they looked a bit better than the numbers posted by sites selling the ammo.

I think in the end it is a bit hard to cut through the noise unless you can chrono the two yourself.

I do think the DT detractors are a bit overblown, and a lot of these guys are pushing their own pet brand, be it Underwood or Swampfox, but there also may be some truth that it may not be "all that" that it was previously advertised to be.

All in all, I'm thinking the Speer and DT versions are probably pretty close. Close enough to probably not make a real difference.

That said, I still think the +P 124gr Gold Dot is a good round for short barreled firearms. Beyond that it just comes down with getting a round that is reliable and reliable in YOUR firearm.

YMMV.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

actually soak 2 phone books in water overnight and bring an old pair of bluejeans to drape 2 layers infront of the paper..wrap the whloe bundle not too tight
    the damage s comperable to gelatin and peopl
    .....any volunteers?
    Instead of bundles, pack old phome books or newspaper in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. It's neater, easier to transport, and easier to find the bullet. Just keep filling the bucket with water (and a few drops of soap) until it won't soak in anymore.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My question is for those that carry +P for personal protection, should I be practicing with +P as much as possible, my thought is if I use the same 9mm 124grain for practice but then switch to +P, how much would that effect my shot?

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    That's interesting to know about the DT ammo in the Shield.

No doubt that you would have problems with the DPX or other Barnes X bullet as well.

Sponsored Links