Underwood ammo is the best - Page 2

Underwood ammo is the best

This is a discussion on Underwood ammo is the best within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Wrong. The 10mm ammo I have been working up for over 27 years is the best there is. And I can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Underwood ammo is the best

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Wrong. The 10mm ammo I have been working up for over 27 years is the best there is. And I can do it for less than 18 bucks per 50, with premium components.
    Wanna sell me 5 boxes :)
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post

Double Tap has made it's reputation on precise loadings with well selected components and using that precision to load at the high end of velocities while still staying within spec for safety.

That a good one. Every test I have ever seen using Double Tap comes in far below their stated velocity , some times a couple hundred FPS. It may be good stuff but it appears they are using fuzzy math.
    aus71383 and kmagnuss like this.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Wanna sell me 5 boxes :)
    The trouble with hand loading is that it is specific to your gun - your chamber, your recoil spring - everything. Commercial loads will inherently be lower performance since they are designed to be fired in a variety of different guns.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The trouble with hand loading is that it is specific to your gun - your chamber, your recoil spring - everything. Commercial loads will inherently be lower performance since they are designed to be fired in a variety of different guns.

Austin
    Your statement is correct as an overview of the factors that control, to a degree, the path of progression in load development but why is it a "trouble" to someone that chooses to handload and perfect a firearm specific load? I have always considered that the challenge and reward of the craft. Just curious as to the choice of wording. I try to encourage handloading not as the means to an end for cheap ammo but rather the "cheapest" means to produce the best ammo for your particular firearm and/or application.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Oh yeah - it's no trouble when you're doing it for yourself - it's a benefit.

I just meant for RubenZ the chances are very high that no one is going to sell him 5 boxes of handloads.

Austin

Re: Underwood ammo is the best

In shooting Underwood as my current defensive loads in 380, 9, and 10 they were constantly closer to the stated velocity on the box, and more consistent fps when shot over a friend's chrono, then the DoubleFap loads I carried before. Plus Underwood is cheaper.
    Win all around. No FTF etc or uncrimped, brass stuck in my barrels here!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Oh yeah - it's no trouble when you're doing it for yourself - it's a benefit.

I just meant for RubenZ the chances are very high that no one is going to sell him 5 boxes of handloads.

Austin
    Got it.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    KE=mv^2 to be more precise which is derived from E=mc^2. Neither of which have to do with the theory of relativity. Check your facts brah.
    E=mc^2 does, in fact, have "to do" with special relativity, but I was being tongue in cheek. Check your sense of humor, brah.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Underwood ammo is the best

Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    That a good one. Every test I have ever seen using Double Tap comes in far below their stated velocity , some times a couple hundred FPS. It may be good stuff but it appears they are using fuzzy math.
    Well, as far as I can tell they originally did live up to their numbers, but have since degraded.

At this point I've changed and no longer are likely to use any small mfg of ammo.

-john

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links