Best shot for a .357??

This is a discussion on Best shot for a .357?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, even the gentle friendly Vancouver Canada, is becoming a more violent city. It's no Detroit or Washington DC when comparing murder rates, but it ...

Thread: Best shot for a .357??

Best shot for a .357??

Yes, even the gentle friendly Vancouver Canada, is becoming a more violent city. It's no Detroit or Washington DC when comparing murder rates, but it is increasing notably in the last 10yrs. I am considering, like one of my relatives, to unbox my .357 mag and have it handy when I go 'nighty-night'. My buddy went shopping in the US and decided to pick me up a gift- 150g hydrashock hyper expanding ammo. It is prohibited to sneak ammo across the border (so.....shhhh don't tell any one ..OK?). My question: is this ammo exceptional or will it be a useless, over-priced, noise maker in my .357?? My concerns and parameters are: that I achieve a 'on-pop-drop' on uninvited guests (hyper expansion), and that the canon round does not zip through the other 1,2, or 3 of my neighbours' apartment walls. Please understand that I'm interested in the effects of this .357 round as mentioned above regardless of your ammo or firearm home defense preference. Please let me know about your personal experiences with the .357 hydrashock ammo; I'd be very interested.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

You don't say what kind of mag your useing,, but I have never liked the hydra's in mine,, I carried the S&W 3 1/2" 27 stoked with the Winchester 145 grain silvertips from the day they hit the selfs, and still do wjen I break out a full size 357..

You may want to look at the newer Gold Dots and Golden Sabers on the market, greatly improved over the hydra stuff, and IMO more reliable expansion..

But with that said remember THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE SHOT STOPS,,,,,,,I have seen humans hit every where ,and have seen several keep on coming.

Thanks Dave, for the thought and suggestion. To reply to your query, I have a .357 S&W 686-5...... Any others out in cyberspace that have had experiences with the .357 hydrashocks???

sw

VIP Member
    If you only want to protect your home use Glaser Safety slugs. They won't go through the entire apt complex. I've not tested them; only relied on the hearsay. Which is good.

There is no such thing as achieving a "One pop drop" Engrave that into your mind. That happens so rarely you would be fooling yourself not to shoot UNTIL THE THREAT IS STOPPED. Not once. I cant tell you how many times to shoot, its just until they are no longer a threat to you and your life. Hydrashocks work great, Using them should be good, but If I were you.. I would NEVER, and i mean NEVER rely on just one shot. Im sure Ill be supported by this in following comments.

Good Luck and welcome to the Forum
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I have to agree with floridaguy on this one. Unless you manage to get a nice square shot at the head or in the spine (which I think would be pretty hard to do half awake) your going to need more than one. At the ranges your going to be using this I think it is more important to have a round that you can make quick follow up shots with, whatever that may be for you. The problem with worrying too much about over penetration is the compermise of effectiveness. Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/ for more on ballistics.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Thanks Homer, I had a good look at the "Box O' Truth" ballistics testing. I've come across a few sites that said some times the hrydra-shocks work WONDERFULLY when there is nothing to fill the hollow-point up and foul the centre post that enhances the hydra's expansion resulting in little or no expansion. I guess I will have to make sure that the junkie ,who invites himself into my apartment, is either naked or wearing a light cotton "T" if I'm using hydra shocks. The "Box O' Truth" tried 9mm and .40 hydras and both calibres had failures to expand. Although I don't have data on the .357 specifically, I think I've heard enough independent info that indicates hydras are pretty "hit and miss". I am truly disappointed to state this opinion because: a) I don't have a bullet that I confidently feel will be enhanced by the true power of the .357 mag and b) I still don't have the confidence that the round will stop the "Uninvited" and not continue to wipe out my 4th floor neighbour. Oh ya..... you can be assured that all six .357 or .38sp will be emptied into the "uninvited" if required- thanks for the advice All.

OK guy's what about this for in my apartment: tone down from
    .357 hydra-shock as a defensive round and move to a .38 special golden saber or some other hyper expansive ammo?

Let's hear you input

look at corbons hunting loads for .357 magnum. their 180 grain bcsp is amazing.

Hey Natural Selection, the 180g is made for a rifle; is it ok( ie. safe) to put a hot round like that in a revolver?

stevr

Quote Originally Posted by stevr View Post
    the 180g is made for a rifle
    hi steve,
    you were misinformed, the .357 magnum corbons are made for handguns too. corbon states:

"There are those who claim the 357 Magnum is not adequate for killing deer. With our 180gr Bonded-Core bullet you'd better have freezer space ready my friend. Assuming you can shoot straight and take shots well within your ability, this load will kill deer deader than canned tuna. This load performs well on a variety of small to medium sized game and packs enough punch down range to make life very exciting.
    Some states put energy restrictions on what is a legal firearm to hunt with. It is important to check the regulations in your area. Some laws are confusing.
    The 200 hard-cast load is often carried in the sidearm for bear protection while hiking or fishing"

that said, as with all things your mileage may vary. i dont hesitate to run it through my 686, but (despite being assured otherwise) i would be hesitant to run it through a 686 +1 due to the cylinder wall thickness.

all that said, it seems to me that a bullet designed specifically to drop deer would make quite an impression on the typical bad guy.

The Old Black Talon?

I think I've heard enough independent info that indicates hydras are pretty "hit and miss". I am truly disappointed to state this opinion because: a) I don't have a bullet that I confidently feel will be enhanced by the true power of the .357 mag and b) I still don't have the confidence that the round will stop the "Uninvited" and not continue to wipe out my 4th floor neighbour. Oh ya..... you can be assured that all six .357 or .38sp will be emptied into the "uninvited" if required- thanks for the advice All.

OK guy's what about this for in my apartment: tone down from
    .357 hydra-shock as a defensive round and move to a .38 special golden saber or some other hyper expansive ammo?

Let's hear you input
    What about the old Black Talon round? I know it was voluntarily withdrawn by Winchester but it simply got renamed into Ranger SXT, IIRC. That was supposed to offer very good expansion, I think. Also another federal round the good old standard pressure 38sp NYCLAD got great expansion even from snub nosed barrels.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thought this was an interesting page of info...with pictures.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

stevr

Thought this was an interesting page of info...with pictures.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

stevr
    i have trouble with some of his conclusions because he seems to base his assessment on bullet performance in phone books. when phone books start to threaten me ill worry more about them, but for now id prefer to see results from actual shootings. i can apprecaite his efforts, just question his conclusions based on the very limited sampling.

Links