.40 or .45ACP?

This is a discussion on .40 or .45ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RonCo Do you think you're intimidating or something? I've yet to see "blood spilled" on an internet forum. Maybe the guy is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .40 or .45ACP?

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Do you think you're intimidating or something? I've yet to see "blood spilled" on an internet forum.

Maybe the guy is simply familiar with how caliber conversations tend to deteriorate.
    Nope but your avi is!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

2. Remove Ads

TO ME...the .40 is a much snappier round and harder to shoot quick strings of fire than the .45...Not unbearable by any means, but there is no advantage to the .40 as far as ballistics...it's a little cheaper than the .45 and has a higher capacity...but if that's what you're looking for, go with the 9. The M&P is VERY sweet platform though, the cool thing especially with the .45 M&P is that you can toss the small backstrap on and still get a great grip on it if you have smaller hands whereas a lot of people have a tough time gripping a larger .45 grip. If anyone tries to tell you about hydrostatic shock regarding pistol rounds don't believe them, they're isn't enough velocity for it occur (except the FN 5.7 round) so velocity doesn't really help.

Bear in mind, anytime you talk caliber people get all uptight about it...I have both a 9 and a .40, shoot them both well, they'll both drop someone if need be, so in the end get whichever you like better and practice with it and you'll be golden.
    mano3 likes this.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Remember trauma kills not bullet size
    40 cal is built on a small frame with a small primmer.
    Eh, I'm pretty sure a larger bullet...that expands larger...causes more trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Do you think you're intimidating or something? I've yet to see "blood spilled" on an internet forum.

Maybe the guy is simply familiar with how caliber conversations tend to deteriorate.
    Nope. Don't need to be intimidating in any way to watch a thread "deteriorate"..............you've accomplished that rather easily. Maybe is maybe. Judging by your avatar, you like blood to be spilled. Just an observation.....don't take it personal as I didn't take your uneducated reply as personal either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Really? In what way? I have a list of infractions over the years here simply for saying what I mean. If you're looking for fun, I can take another notch in the belt and be good until 2015. Give some good input instead of waiting on blood to be spilled.
    Newbies are always welcomed here. Many here are serious about CC. Many only hope to experience carrying in public. Some are seriously doing it right now. 24/7. I am one of those peoples. No game....no fun to be had......comprende?
    Well I'm use to other weapon sites that the fan boys of Glocks or .45's vs 9mm's going at each others throat. I figured that it would be the same here, nothing more was meant by my statement.

honestly nothing will be better if you cant place your rounds. I personally have a .38sp, 9mm, and a 45ACP. I don't carry three extra mags with me because I believe I shouldn't have to use extra mags if the need should come. I carried all three calibers but I prefer the .45. I carry the 9mm when the attire doesn't allow for a big frame.

I went with a .40 for the cheaper ammo and capacity. The recoil is noticeable but not unmanageable. I carry 11 in the compact mag and a 16 round back up mag. If 27 bullets don't get me out of trouble it wasn't meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Well I'm use to other weapon sites that the fan boys of Glocks or .45's vs 9mm's going at each others throat. I figured that it would be the same here, nothing more was meant by my statement.
    It aint the same here, and you can continue to frequent those sites where you'll get bashed. Oh...I'm Glock to the core, but I don't expect everyone else to comply with my feelings. That would be crazy. I may be adamant about a lot of things, but I'm not crazy (at least it hasn't been proven yet). Fun is still not out of the question. Just depends on what time of day and how things are perceived. Send me a friend request.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckdriver View Post
    I went with a .40 for the cheaper ammo and capacity. The recoil is noticeable but not unmanageable. I carry 11 in the compact mag and a 16 round back up mag. If 27 bullets don't get me out of trouble it wasn't meant to be.
    Buying .45 ammo sucked when it was a $90/week hobby so i invested in a reloader and reload a box of 50 for a little over $8
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It aint the same here, and you can continue to frequent those sites where you'll get bashed. Oh...I'm Glock to the core, but I don't expect everyone else to comply with my feelings. That would be crazy. I may be adamant about a lot of things, but I'm not crazy (at least it hasn't been proven yet). Fun is still not out of the question. Just depends on what time of day and how things are perceived. Send me a friend request.
    I own a G26, pretty good shooting little firearm if I may say myself. It's a great CCW pistol and with the crossbreed holster no one knows it's even there.

I personally love the .40. I shoot it very well and I don't notice significantly more recoil than 9. I like 45, but regardless of platforms I have never been able to achieve anywhere near the accuracy I have with 9 and 40. I've had a RIA 1911 (sold), Glock 30 (sold), and now a Glock 36 (that collects dust). I shoot my XD40sc better than anytthing else and I have 6 mags. I shoot it dead-eye from distances all the way out to 50 yards. From 10 yards it is silver dollar sized groups in rapid fire and double taps. Why should I carry anything else?

45 is also expensive to shoot and .40 is barely more than 9. It just fits my needs very well, so I'm going with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Eh, I'm pretty sure a larger bullet...that expands larger...causes more trauma.
    larger by .005 thousands of an inch; hardy any thing to write home about but if you take that .005 and multiply it by 13 it equals almost two extra rounds in the same space. so now you have almost the same ft lbs of enegry and more ammo in the same gun

40 cal 200 gr (13 g) Doubletap FMJ-FP 1,050 ft/s (320 m/s) 490 ft·lbf (660 J)

45 cal 200 gr (13 g) Speer Gold Dot JHP +P 1,080 ft/s (330 m/s) 518 ft·lbf
    mano3 likes this.

45ACP

40S&W is more expensive 9mm with minimal benefits. It's up to you if you want the capacity of a 9mm or a 45 that may make bigger holes as so many like to argue.

I'll stick with my 9mm. I've got a 45ACP but have carried it twice. I'll never get rid of it but for carry, I'll take 9mm over 45 or 40 any day
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I still love my .40!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The .40 is the perfect round for me on my primary EDC, of which is an XD. I think it's a great compromise between the 9mm & the .45ACP, and I shoot the best with it for my EDC and my alternate BUG, XDsc.

For me it was a negotiable stopping power avg result, capacity, accuracy, and price. I personally don't notice the "snappy" recoil that others comment on (maybe it's platform related), but know I enjoy shooting my .40XD & .40XDsc a whole lot longer than I did my G21.

To each their own. Try each caliber on multiple platforms before committing to a purchase.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links