.40 or .45ACP?

This is a discussion on .40 or .45ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the 40SW since I feel that it's a in between round of the 9mm and the 45acp. High cap mags for a excellent ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .40 or .45ACP?

VIP Member
    I like the 40SW since I feel that it's a in between round of the 9mm and the 45acp. High cap mags for a excellent bullet that is very close to the 45acp. But I do believe the 357 Sig is best of all the service rounds, but it's expensive, tuff to find sometimes and not as popular yet as the other service rounds so that is why I stick with the forty SW for the time....that said I do own some 9mm also in smaller frames....G26 and PF9......
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I prefer the other .40" round. 10mm.

45acp all the way between the two you posted. Ditched all of my 40s&w pistols in favor of 45acp and 10mm.

Snappy recoil isn't a problem once you train yourself to control it. However, if you have physical limitations and it is too painful then go with 45acp.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Nope. Don't need to be intimidating in any way to watch a thread "deteriorate"..............you've accomplished that rather easily. Maybe is maybe. Judging by your avatar, you like blood to be spilled. Just an observation.....don't take it personal as I didn't take your uneducated reply as personal either.
    Come'on now... you have to admit that your reply to PIMking was rude. Just because someone has a low post count, being a "newbie" as you so kindly stated, that doesn't automatically classify them as beneath another member. For all we know maybe they've been too busy over seas in the "sand-box" getting real Defensive Carry experience to manage racking up close to 13,000 posts on an internet forum.

As far as my avatar, I do happen to enjoy training in unarmed combat, as well as staying fit. I consider it my first line of defense. Maybe if George Zimmerman would have trained a little more in unarmed tactics he could have handled an unarmed kid without having to resort to lethal force... ruining his life and tarnishing the "Stand Your Ground" laws that the NRA and others have worked so hard to get passed.
    Last edited by RonCo; May 11th, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar
    Alarm Guy and natimage like this.

VIP Member
    I have and shoot both calibers ( along with .38 spcl, .357 magnum, and 9mm) and find them to very different in recoil. As some have said, .40 can be very "snappy", while .45 seems to "push" back more. I enjoy shooting both, however have been leaning toward more toward .45 auto, somewhat because I got into shooting 1911 style pistols and I like the idea of the larger bullet (although .40 is close). I use 9mm mostly for IDPA (which I haven't done much of lately) and intend to use the Glock 30 I bought recently for CCing once my holster arrives and I put a few more rounds done range, including testing defensive loads. I guess my point is, shoot what you like, if you want to add an addition caliber, do it, if not stick with what you have, there is something to be said for simplicity. I have come to believe that recoil is subjective. Yes you may have faster follow up shots with 9mm or .38 spcl in a full size platform I know I do, but as I continue to practice I find that I have gotten good with follow up in both with both of the two discussed platforms.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I agree with BugDude. I have a Glock 27 which I love to shoot. I really can't tell that much difference between it and a 9mm in terms of recoil.

Hmmmm... Never thought about 9mm because of the bad rap its received in the past (not a real man-stopper). I also realize that you can't believe everything you read!

I guess it comes down to actually firing .40 and see if I can manage the 'snappy' recoil.

I appreciate all the good posts about this follks!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I recently traded my G23 which had been my EDC for over 2 years for a G19 (both were/are Gen 3's).

With the two guns being identical in size and dimension and the G23 only weighing ~1 ounce more than the G19, the G23 definitely had a bit more "snap" or "bite" to it. With that said, I feel that I shot pretty good with the G23 and only noticed recoil being an issue when rapid firing 3 or more rounds.

I've owned several different .45's and I feel like the .40 S&W kicked slightly harder, but the contrast wasn't stark in my experience.

However, I feel the 9mm has noticeably softer recoil allowing for more rounds on target during rapid fire, as well as a higher capacity. These two aspects are KEY in a gun fight... MORE SHOTS-ON-TARGET.

As far as a difference in stopping or knock down "power" between handgun rounds take a look at this old video. I know it has been posted here before, but it really demonstrates that caliber is not were stopping power comes from, but instead shot placement is. Human and animal target zones are called "vitals" for good reason.

mano3 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If it came down to a 40 or a 45 I would go 45.
    The MP is a fine weapon
    Never based a decision on what the police or Army is using.
    The Police for the most part use what they are told to. It is often based on issues that have little to do with how effective they are for any give use.
    As for Army different wold than the one you live in.
    well said!

VIP Member
    there should be a poll

If you already owned a 45 couldn't you almost achieve the 40 velosities by going down in bullet weight? Seems that is what Corbon does? I have been thinking about adding a 45 also?

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    A lot of people who are more knowledgeable, respected, and experienced than myself all tend to agree that the differences between 'popular self-defense calibers' (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP) are marginal and minimal at best. Shot placement is key.
    mano3 and killingjoke like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    After being wildly embraced, the .40 S&W seems to have suddenly fallen out of favor with handgun enthusiasts, at least the ones on forums. Can't really see why this should be so. They must be a fickle lot.

I like the .40 S&W even though I've never owned one. Hope to rectify that one day. It really does seem to plug a hole in the realm of pistol cartridges. Would love to play with the cartridge and handload for it. Would be willing to carry a good .40 S&W. Since I've always had .45 ACP guns there has not been any need to hurry and get a .40 S&W. I have 9mms but think the .40 S&W is the more sensible round for self-defense.
    I respectfully disagree with the fickle part.

I am one of the people who used to be very into the .40 round and I've switched over to the 9mm. It's not about being fickle at all, at least for me. It's about training and practice, as well as being honest with myself about the end result and not being married to a mindset. Here's a good article by Rob Pincus on why his opinion on the .40 over the 9mm round changed.

Being Wrong is Important... and, Admitting It is too!

I'm not suggesting that you just read an opinion off the internet and make a change based on what they say is "right" but Rob makes some very good points and his entire argument starts out with why it's important to not close your mind to change. That, I believe, is the most important thing in his article. Having 'sacred cows' that you aren't willing to critically evaluate and consider, only serves to limit you.

I can say from my own personal experience that the more trained (both with professional instruction as well as on my own), the more I started to see my 'weaknesses'. My beloved .40 was much more difficult to accurately control in multi shot groups and after countless rounds spent working on defensive handgunning, I found that when I transitioned over to my 9mm pistols, I could see immediate improvements in control. After a while I decided that the benefits I was gaining in control and capacity outweighed any ballistic benefit that the larger cartridge might provide.

I'm not going to argue ballistics and everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion on what is too big, too small or whatever. All I know is what works for me, and I can definitively say that I feel more throughly prepared with my 15+1 9mm than I was with my 9+1 .40, or either of my .45's.
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Eh, I'm pretty sure a larger bullet...that expands larger...causes more trauma.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    A lot of people who are more knowledgeable, respected, and experienced than myself all tend to agree that the differences between 'popular self-defense calibers' (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP) are marginal and minimal at best. Shot placement is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I'm not going to argue ballistics and everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion on what is too big, too small or whatever. All I know is what works for me, and I can definitively say that I feel more throughly prepared with my 15+1 9mm than I was with my 9+1 .40, or either of my .45's.

That is the important part-- "what works for me" and "Shot placement is key"
    If the .40 works for you, get an established recommended round and use it, same with 9mm or .45acp. There are people who have studied bullets for decades and have an idea of what works; find the list and use a bullet from it.

I was considering a Glock 26, but went with a Glock 30 instead. I like the .45acp and the G30 is just a bit bigger then the G26/G27 and I still get 10 rounds. I wanted a "push" recoil instead of a "snap" recoil.

Plus in the future when we are fighting zombies/ninja's/robots and all we have is full metal jacket bullets then I'll be happy to have a big ol' .45. When all you have is FMJ bullets, then bigger is better. When it is hollowpoints - then quality makes all calibers almost equal.
    --Jason--

The average .40 projectile is 165gr at around 1150fps. A .45 acp with a 165gr projectile will travel the same speed. BUT, with .45 acp I have the option to go with 185gr, 200gr, or 230gr. Only difference is the .45 acp usually opens up to 3/4" or more.
    mano3 likes this.

If I were you, I would go with .45 ACP. I have a .40 S&W (XD40), and love it. It shoots great, does kick, but not too bad. Problem is, most police and military agencies use either 9mm or .45 ACP. So in a SHTF situation, if you break into a police station to scrounge for ammo, you're more likely to find 9mm or 45 ACP lying around than .40.

Just my two cents.
    mano3 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links