.40 or .45ACP?

This is a discussion on .40 or .45ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree, the .40 has a snap. I like the "push" of the .45 . it's more like a lob; at 850 fps...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .40 or .45ACP?

I agree, the .40 has a snap. I like the "push" of the .45.
    it's more like a lob; at 850 fps

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    True, bullet makers produce a 185gr bullet, but 230gr is the bullet recommended.
    By who? I have seen plenty of tests on the Hornady CD in 185gr that make me feel plenty comfortable carrying it. I prefer the extra speed. I think the 230gr thing is more applicable to hard ball which I won't carry for defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    Nice of you to twist things around. This was just an example of where the 45 doesn't shine. I've even personally seen where the 45 bounces off a level 3 vest without going through even the first layer, where as the 40 goes through at least 3 layers. The 40cal has the speed and the mass to make ME feel comfortable carrying it for SD. You carry what ever load you feel comfortable with.
    I wasn't attempting to twist anything around. Simply pointing out that the lexan test means very little to me. And as far as shooting through a vest? Again, what is the significance? Neither round penetrates to the human behind it so what does it matter if the .40 went through 3 layers and the .45 bounced off? Neither stopped the attacker. My post ended with saying 9mm or 45 (or .40 for that matter) will do the job if you hit em right (and they aren't wearing body armor). That is why these caliber discussions are so pointless, EVERY caliber can neutralize and kill.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    By who? I have seen plenty of tests on the Hornady CD in 185gr that make me feel plenty comfortable carrying it. I prefer the extra speed. I think the 230gr thing is more applicable to hard ball which I won't carry for defense.

I wasn't attempting to twist anything around. Simply pointing out that the lexan test means very little to me. And as far as shooting through a vest? Again, what is the significance? Neither round penetrates to the human behind it so what does it matter if the .40 went through 3 layers and the .45 bounced off? Neither stopped the attacker. My post ended with saying 9mm or 45 (or .40 for that matter) will do the job if you hit em right (and they aren't wearing body armor). That is why these caliber discussions are so pointless, EVERY caliber can neutralize and kill.
    "Jonconsiglio"(who I trust and is a member here) sent me this link: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo. It is there that the 230gr is recommended. The list I posted earlier is from that website.

Pointless, but fun. :)
    --Jason--

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links