.40 or .45ACP?

This is a discussion on .40 or .45ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't wait to get rid of my Taurus .45 PT145! That said, I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with a Glock or M&P. My ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .40 or .45ACP?

.40 or .45ACP?

I can't wait to get rid of my Taurus .45 PT145!

That said, I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with a Glock or M&P. My next problem is do I go .40 or .45ACP?

The .40 is cheaper and you get more ammo in the magazine. Also, .40 penetrates deeper and seems to be a favorite of police departments nowadays.

Still, I like the hard-hitting power of the .45 ACP.

WHat say you?

PS: I've never fired .40. I've shot 9mm and plenty of .45.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

I personally love the 40S&W for what it is. Like getting the most out of a six cylinder with the cubic inch displacement of an eight cylinder but yet more economical on fuel. The 40S&W comes close to tops in performance for capacity. I don't think it's magical, but it comes close since there is little room for improvement. I love the 45ACP as well for what it is. If I could have any caliber in one platform AND use one holster for all of them, I'd be ruler of the universe. Me and the universe get closer each and every day.
    mano3 likes this.

If it came down to a 40 or a 45 I would go 45.
    The MP is a fine weapon
    Never based a decision on what the police or Army is using.
    The Police for the most part use what they are told to. It is often based on issues that have little to do with how effective they are for any give use.
    As for Army different wold than the one you live in.
    MrBuckwheat and nerdyvirgin like this.

9 or 45, no need for a 40 if you don't already have one.

I have a .40 but if I would do it again I would get a 9 or 45...after doing a lot of ballistic testing with modern ammo there's really no reason for the snappy .40 round. The only real reason a lot of departments carry .40 is because the 9 got a bad rep during one altercation because of poor ammo. It is definitely a more than adequate man stopper...They'll all drop someone it's just that the 9 and 45 are easier to shoot because you don't have the velocities you get out of the .40...Actually if you had to shoot someone through your car window (for whatever reason I don't know but that's beside the point) the speed of the .40 actually shears off the jacket and you end up losing some of your weight of the round needed for it to expand correctly and do it's job.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I agree with the others. 9 or 45

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I have a .40 but if I would do it again I would get a 9 or 45...after doing a lot of ballistic testing with modern ammo there's really no reason for the snappy .40 round. The only real reason a lot of departments carry .40 is because the 9 got a bad rep during one altercation because of poor ammo. It is definitely a more than adequate man stopper...They'll all drop someone it's just that the 9 and 45 are easier to shoot because you don't have the velocities you get out of the .40...Actually if you had to shoot someone through your car window (for whatever reason I don't know but that's beside the point) the speed of the .40 actually shears off the jacket and you end up losing some of your weight of the round needed for it to expand correctly and do it's job.
    I don't think the 45 is easier to shoot than a .40. It's got a bigger recoil.

Ever consider the 357Sig? I like it very much and it's an easy change of barrel to switch over to .40
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

After being wildly embraced, the .40 S&W seems to have suddenly fallen out of favor with handgun enthusiasts, at least the ones on forums. Can't really see why this should be so. They must be a fickle lot.

I like the .40 S&W even though I've never owned one. Hope to rectify that one day. It really does seem to plug a hole in the realm of pistol cartridges. Would love to play with the cartridge and handload for it. Would be willing to carry a good .40 S&W. Since I've always had .45 ACP guns there has not been any need to hurry and get a .40 S&W. I have 9mms but think the .40 S&W is the more sensible round for self-defense.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I am a fan of the 40, but I prefer a SIG to either a Glock or an M&P. I like the 40 for the capacity (13 in my SIG 229), the penetration and the ability to shoot 357 SIG with an interchangeable barrel. The 45 is OK, but I like the 40 better. My suggestion is that you shoot a 40 before buying. Some find its recoil a little snappy as compared to the slower push of the 45. Either round is more than adequate for defense purposes.
    mano3 likes this.

This ought be fun

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    This ought be fun
    Really? In what way? I have a list of infractions over the years here simply for saying what I mean. If you're looking for fun, I can take another notch in the belt and be good until 2015. Give some good input instead of waiting on blood to be spilled.
    Newbies are always welcomed here. Many here are serious about CC. Many only hope to experience carrying in public. Some are seriously doing it right now. 24/7. I am one of those peoples. No game....no fun to be had......comprende?

If you already have a 9 and a 45, then I say yes, get the 40. I have all three.

The good thing about following what the Military do, I believe there will always be ammo to be found, be it 9 or 45. Many Police departments care the 40 so it may be relatively easy to find, but not like the 9 or the 45, again in MO.

In case the SHTF does happen, there should be plenty of the 9 and the 45 on the black market. 40s, maybe not so much. It just depends how much faith you have in our government.

Safe shooting.

Vv
    mano3 likes this.

The 40 cal has a lot of similar ballistics that the 45 has and is a little more compact. Remember trauma kills not bullet size
    40 cal is built on a small frame with a small primmer... 45 is built on a large frame and uses a large primmer
    sid1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Really? In what way? I have a list of infractions over the years here simply for saying what I mean. If you're looking for fun, I can take another notch in the belt and be good until 2015. Give some good input instead of waiting on blood to be spilled.
    Newbies are always welcomed here. Many here are serious about CC. Many only hope to experience carrying in public. Some are seriously doing it right now. 24/7. I am one of those peoples. No game....no fun to be had......comprende?
    Do you think you're intimidating or something? I've yet to see "blood spilled" on an internet forum.

Maybe the guy is simply familiar with how caliber conversations tend to deteriorate.
    PIMking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Hahahahahaha! Rams got the horns down! Watch it now!! :D:beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links