Is steel-cased ammo bad for your firearm? - Page 2

Is steel-cased ammo bad for your firearm?

This is a discussion on Is steel-cased ammo bad for your firearm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Watch this video: The Truth About Wolf Ammo - YouTube That said steel is the only thing I shoot with my AK, for obvious reasons...but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is steel-cased ammo bad for your firearm?

Watch this video:

The Truth About Wolf Ammo - YouTube

That said steel is the only thing I shoot with my AK, for obvious reasons...but I have shot Tula out of my AR with no issues. It's dirty stuff, but it's cheap for some (inaccurate) plinking.
    barstoolguru likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    Watch this video:

The Truth About Wolf Ammo - YouTube

That said steel is the only thing I shoot with my AK, for obvious reasons...but I have shot Tula out of my AR with no issues. It's dirty stuff, but it's cheap for some (inaccurate) plinking.
    Man I use wolf a lot in my ar and it runs fine? By fine I mean no jams and accurate. Now granted it is filthy but I haven't noticed a huge difference at +/- 100yds

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    John123 likes this.

I've not experienced any problems with steel-cased ammo in my handguns. Relatively low pressures compared to rifle ammo is probably why.

My SKS eats the commie-bloc steel-cased ammo like a kid eats M&Ms... no problem. And while I personally don't run steel-cased ammo through my AR's, I've been in training classes and shot next to people at the range (as recently as a couple of months ago) who have had problems with ARs running steel-cased stuff. The only problems I've witnessed are stuck cases - hardly damaging to the gun, but inconvenient and annoying as all get-out. Even more so if your instructor is one Mr. Pat Rogers and you tie up the class for even a minute with problems due to steel-cased ammo (potentially earning you an "MC" or a "That Guy" award).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You know, never really had any problems with steel cased ammo.

Most recently shot a box of 50 Tul Ammo 124gr. 9mm, through my Kahr CM9 with zero problems.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    i forgot to add that i had also bought one box of Tulammo .45 when i got the .380. The Colt series 70 1911 has fired thousands of rounds, and did break the extractor off firing the first magazine of Tulammo. Coincidence or not, thats when it broke and I threw out the rest of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    The range where I shoot has a big sign as you enter saying "Shooting of Steel Cased Ammunition is Prohibited at this Facility"...... You can shoot aluminum and brass only..
    The reason for that is they make cash on the brass but steel is worthless. Mix the steel and brass the price goes way down.
    Problem with most steel case ammo is the manufacturer is most often is cheap stuff
    John123 likes this.

The range I frequent won't allow steel cased ammo for several reasons, and they are all economics:

#1 Can't be re-loaded, so they can't re-sell the recovered cases.

#2 They must be separated from brass and nickel/brass cases, or the scrap companies will discount the value of the scrap.

#3 They must use one of their hourly paid employees to separate out the steel cased shells.

#4 They figure every box of steel cased ammo is a box of ammo they did not sell.

As the famous TV saying goes "follow the money."
    John123 and sensei2 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Cheap com-bloc weapons shoot cheap com-bloc ammo without problems. For my expensive US guns, I reload and rely on US brass ammo. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Why do facilities prohibit shooting steel cased ammo?

I actually just talked with my range on the phone just now. The steel-cased ammo is fine. They prohibit bullets with steel in the core on the bullet jacket. The reason is that the steel sparks when it hits the backstop and can cause range fires. The guy said it has actually happened.

Administrator
    Actually there WAS a real reason why older steel cased ammo was tough on extractors.
    It had nothing to do with the cartridge cased being made from steel though. The cartridge case steel was much softer than the extractor steel (which was annealed and therefore comparatively soft)

The reason why older steel cased ammo was tough on extractors was that it was originally lacquered as a rust preventative.
    The lacquer would liquify when the barrel chamber heated up and then it would quickly harden again. That old lacquer was akin to shellac.

SO....extractors had to work like the devil in order to yank those sticking cases out of the barrel chambers and that would sometimes snap the extractor head.

I'm best guessing that most all NEWER steel cased ammo is no longer lacquered and so should be just fine.

I would stay away from the older stuff though.
    sensei2 likes this.

Good explanation QKShooter. I always wondered myself, thanks!

Also had no problem out of hundreds of rounds of 1970's 5.45x39mm steel cased surplus in a Saiga though where tolerances aren't as tight as a handgun though.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    The range I frequent won't allow steel cased ammo for several reasons, and they are all economics:

#1 Can't be re-loaded, so they can't re-sell the recovered cases.

#2 They must be separated from brass and nickel/brass cases, or the scrap companies will discount the value of the scrap.

#3 They must use one of their hourly paid employees to separate out the steel cased shells.

#4 They figure every box of steel cased ammo is a box of ammo they did not sell.

As the famous TV saying goes "follow the money."
    Re # 2 and # 3... the range I belong to must be really high-tech. They use magnets to separate out the steel cases... hardly any more effort than sweeping up the brass in the first place. Ain't science wonderful?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I bought a box of Tulammo to prove my Kimber would eat anything. It gobbled up this garbage too. But I had a lot of fire coming out of the barrel and unburned powder. Dirty too. Not worth it to save $3 per box. Back to WWB for this guy.

Administrator
    I am not certain when exactly when the older type lacquered steel cases stopped being made. There will always be some lots of the old stuff turning up though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links