Shot my TV.........................on purpose.

This is a discussion on Shot my TV.........................on purpose. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 47" Vizio lcd tv quit working and after some investigation I decided it was trash. My waste disposal company said they would be happy ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By barstoolguru

Thread: Shot my TV.........................on purpose.

My 47" Vizio lcd tv quit working and after some investigation I decided it was trash. My waste disposal company said they would be happy to pick it up
    for $50. I decided I could break it into pieces and put in trash for normal weekly pickup. Then I thought why not take it out and shoot it
    to pieces should be fun.

So I go out and put 2 mags of 230 grain hollow points from my Kimber custom eclipse into it from about 15 yards. It makes nice neat holes in the screen.
    I go to check exit wounds and to my surprise find none. I was expecting them to blow right through. So try 2 mags of round nose same result. Now break out the
    Mossberg 500 with some Heavy game loads and blast it some more. Other than blowing the speakers off of it when I aimed at those I am only punching holes in the
    screen. The most damage to the screen is caused by the wads from the shot gun shells making a bigger hole in the outer part of screen.

Left it out so I can use it for target practice again sometime I think I will try some slugs for the Mossberg and maybe my AR just to see if I can get
    something to penetrate all the way through it. This really surprised me and I guess it's good to know some of the best cover in my house would be
    behind my TV.

Mental note to self, if in a firefight in my home, use the flat screen as cover.

Too bad you didn't video the process.

I bet a .40 cal would have went through it...45's are a little weak
    smolck and vista461 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I bet a .40 cal would have went through it...45 are a little weak
    THAT is funny stuff! Kudos!

Im surprised that the .45 didnt go through. Is it an older tv? Some of those older lcd's have a very thick metal cabinet. They're thin, but weigh a ton. Otherwise, use that .223. It'll turn it to swiss cheese im sure

In case you don't want to use the next one as a target, see if you have a Goodwill store nearby They have a deal with Dell to do safe recycling most home electronics. See here for information.

Given your experience, maybe a couple handles should be mounted to the back of LCD TVs so they can be carried as a shield.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I have thought this would be a fun thing to do....especially after Obama's many tv appearances. That is when the "urge" really strikes. Had to sit on my hands after the "State of the Union".
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Mental note to self, if in a firefight in my home, use the flat screen as cover.

Too bad you didn't video the process.
    Thought about video too late and only had one set of hearing protection. Hard to run video camera with fingers in ears.
    Next time I get over to where we shot it I will take pictures and update post.

Links