Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber? - Page 4

Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber?

This is a discussion on Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Less recoil and far better accuracy (in my book) with the .357 SIG over the snorty .40s. It seems that Most LE that have went ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber?

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Less recoil and far better accuracy (in my book) with the .357 SIG over the snorty .40s.

It seems that Most LE that have went to the .357 have tried the Forty in the past- and have
    stuck with the .357 SIG- and are not changing anytime soon.
    While the Forty is a good stopper, the .357 SIG seems to be a notch above.

A concealed citizen might have different needs than a state trooper, but the bottom result is that
    you get dynamic stopping power with most loads on the market.

One famous writer and LEO trainer can carry any gun on the planet, and you see him mention that
    the M&P357 is on his side (for the most part) these days.

That speaks well of the cartridge if he is devoting time to it, and he's not alone.

Here's Massad Ayoob's comments on the effectiveness of the .357 sig-

Count your chads for the .357 SIG - Cop Talk | American Handgunner | Find Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    For both home defense & personel protection I am considering both the .357 sig-Speer Gold Dot 125gr. versus the .40 caliber in say Corbon 135 gr. or Winchester 155
    Silvertip!

With decent shot placement I am trying to decide
    which caliber ammo would give me (however slight) the
    edge in incapacitation?

Thank-You for your time!
    Head shot..............take your pick.

Which ever you can shoot more proficiently while you are moving to you long guns..... Pistols are not know for their stopping power, they are known to be light weight, easy to carry and conceal.
    Seriously there is not a huge difference between any of the service pistol calibers using modern day ammunition.

Sent from this... Using that...

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    Which ever you can shoot more proficiently while you are moving to you long guns..... Pistols are not know for their stopping power, they are known to be light weight, easy to carry and conceal.
    Seriously there is not a huge difference between any of the service pistol calibers using modern day ammunition.

True, but then we would have nothing to debate and a lot of forums would cease to be.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    True, but then we would have nothing to debate and a lot of forums would cease to be.
    That's debatable... ;)

Here's a good link on .357sig HST testing in gel:

.357 SIG Federal HST Ammo Gel test - YouTube

The South Bend, Indiana police issue the 135-grain Cor-Bon .40 at 1,300 fps. Ballistics are roughly comparable to the typical .357 Sig police load, a 125-grain bullet at 1,350 fps. At the other end of the scale, you can stoke your .40 to a .38 Special hot-load level. The 165-grain subsonic at 1,000 is little different from the Cor-Bon .38 P load spitting a 158-grain lead hollowpoint at the same velocity

I think proficiency and shot placement are both a given. If you can't control your firearm or accurately place shots, find an alternative weapon. Speaking of alternative weapons, that's what a handgun is. It's a sidearm in case your primary weapon fails, runs out of ammo or is unavailable. A shotgun is pretty hard to beat for home defense since the pellets don't typically over penetrate and it's 90%+ one shot stop history with most departments/agencies. Plus unlike the majority of internet/media hype the racking of a shell normally has a psychological effect.

Between the .40 and .357, I'll take the .357. While the ballistics seem pretty close there's just not enough real life data to back up the 40. since it's so new. On the other hand the .357 has a pretty solid field history. My sidearms of choice when going into harms way has always been the .45 acp. I know from experience the type of devastating affects the .45 acp can deliver even if placement is not spot on. Simply put I prefer a larger caliber, heavy projectile. Chances are you and/or your target will be moving in a firefight so threading a needle with rounds while someone is firing at you is highly unlikely.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Neither. Both. The shooter matters more than either of those calibers or ammunition choices.
    Without splitting atoms, I'd imagine getting hit (or even being shot at) with either caliber would be enough to change most bad-guys disposition.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Here's a good link on .357sig HST testing in gel:

.357 SIG Federal HST Ammo Gel test - YouTube
    That's what I carry in my .40, .357 Magnum and 9mm. I haven't tried/tested them in .45acp or 10mm yet, I've been sticking with the Remington Golden Sabre for my .45's based on feedback from a couple of ex team members who swear by them. In the calibers I've mentioned the HST is outstanding! For the kind of performance it delivers you'll be amazed by the controllability even out of lightweight or short barreled pistols. What this video didn't really talk about (or I missed it) was the penetration and expansion consistency. 95 out of 100 reach good depth with the same type of expansion shown. Good stuff!

Both are ok but IMO 357 hands down if your looking for a proven round that has higher chance of a first round stop.
    I not bashing the .40 just not for me.

I have both and can't say a bad thing about either. I just happen to prefer the Sig's recoil.

Cost isn't an issue for me and it's definitely not because I'm loaded. It's because there isn't much of a difference. Especially with target loads.

I've also never had a problem with availability. I can't recall a time where I've walked into somewhere and they didn't have .357sig ammo and a good bit of it.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Neither. Both. The shooter matters more than either of those calibers or ammunition choices.
    +1
    Shot placement - which means training is required.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    I don't have either, but I'd go with the .40 due to price, availability, etc. = more training = better skill with the weapon = greater potential for stopping.

Don't get caught up in which caliber has "the edge." There are better things to do with your gray matter.

Good luck (but practice often!).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links