Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber?

This is a discussion on Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For both home defense & personel protection I am considering both the .357 sig-Speer Gold Dot 125gr. versus the .40 caliber in say Corbon 135 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber?

Which has better incapacitation> .357sig or 40 caliber?

For both home defense & personel protection I am considering both the .357 sig-Speer Gold Dot 125gr. versus the .40 caliber in say Corbon 135 gr. or Winchester 155
    Silvertip!

With decent shot placement I am trying to decide
    which caliber ammo would give me (however slight) the
    edge in incapacitation?

Thank-You for your time!
    Last edited by Sneaky; May 12th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Neither. Both. The shooter matters more than either of those calibers or ammunition choices.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Neither. Both. The shooter matters more than either of those calibers or ammunition choices.
    This will be the most common piece of advice. My second piece of advice is to measure your ability to have a follow-up shot. This means you need to pick your personal preference when it comes to the style of the recoil. The first shot is either well-placed or it's not. When it's not, then the second shot matters a LOT more than the caliber.

That said, both .357 and .40 are seen as 'upgrades' compared to the 9mm. I know it's weaseling, but you should try both. On that front, anecdotal evidence is that people prefer the recoil from the .357 sig
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Thank-You for your post! I know that ammo only plays 5 percent of the total picture but I'll take any edge I can get if it saves my butt!

And if you're going to practice a lot .357 sig is much more expensive and more difficult to find, at least in my area.

Not to be curt but truly the ballistics on both those rounds are so close he was right. It doesn't matter. What matters is where your rounds strike the bad guy.I mean you are talking about one round 1 milometer larger in diameter than the other and one round about 100 fps faster than the other. I guess if you have to choose I'd go with the 40 s&w because size of the wound or the bigger the hole is more important than speed. Speed actually creates more trauma but penetrates less and that's why a 45acp is so effective. It's big and slow. If you can't decide between the 30 caliber and the 40 caliber just get a 45.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

VIP Member
    If those were the only choices available to me, I would go with the .40 simply by virtue of ammo availability, price, and diversity. Ballistics and recoil appear to be nearly identical.
    Ranger45 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If those were the only choices available to me, I would go with the .40 simply by virtue of ammo availability, price, and diversity. Ballistics and recoil appear to be nearly identical.
    Hard to argue with this. If the cost and availability of the ammo means you'll practice more with .40, that's the direction I'd head in.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

hypothetically, if money and availability were no object ,the 357sig has the edge( improved feeding,ballistics,energy.....)
    but since thats not the case the 40s&w is the way to go if those are the only rounds you are debating on.
    at less than $10 a box to train with and the improvements in 9mm ammo I have moved to 9mm and fell just fine with it.I am ducking out now......

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hard to argue with this. If the cost and availability of the ammo means you'll practice more with .40, that's the direction I'd head in.
    Cost isn't a factor nor availability of .357 sig ammo for me to purchase! My choice appears to becoming clearer in sight! Thank-You for your post!

I am amazed that cost isn't a factor. We're talking about thousands of rounds. "Saving your butt" is worth spending money on, but there're many, many other things out there that are trying to kill you - and they're statistically way more likely than a bad guy attacking you when you're carrying.

Honestly, I'd go for the .40, unless you like the recoil of .357sig better.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am surprise no one mentioned muzzel flash, as this is a big factor for home defence and a shot in the dark. The .357 mag will be more blinding than the .40, so all around the .40 might be a more practical choice, as keeping yourself tuned up will cost less for practice too.

Both calibers are perfectly fine, and you listed some of the most proven SD rounds that are equally good. If cost is no factor, then get both!

one factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is that .357SIG seems to be consistantly more accurate than .40S&W. i have two sig p229's and have both
    .357 and .40 barrels. my own experience and everything i've read has indicated that .357 groups better. apparently the (relatively) short, fat, .40 bullets are not as stable in flight as the narrower .357 ones.

i would prefer the .357 Gold Dots, but would be quite happy shooting the .40 Cor Bons. you really can't go wrong with either. they're pretty equal in stopping power (from ther things i've read). good luck
    oneshot likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links