Anyone have Federal HST ?

This is a discussion on Anyone have Federal HST ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I run it in my 9s, my 357 SIG, and my 45. All are good to go....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone have Federal HST ?

I run it in my 9s, my 357 SIG, and my 45. All are good to go.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Mags that are new (or haven't seen much use) can often feel "tight" when loaded to capacity. This usually goes away after keeping the mags loaded for a while.

I've been using HST (230gr .45) for my EDC defensive rounds. No complaints so far.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I haven't and it's my primary carry round for both 9mm and 45. I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it loaded full and seated on a closed slide and it'll give if it happens again. For carry, I no longer top off mags. For spare mag carry if this was still an issue, I'd download by one for now and there's no guarantee you'll seat the mag with an open slide if that time ever comes, so I'd err on the side of caution with that for now.

For administrative loading, I seat a full mag then load it using an overhand grip. It should eventually loosen up. EDIT - I don't know how I missed that it already did loosen up. - EDIT

At the same, it seems odd that this is happening with only that round. There should be no difference in diameter regardless of who makes the ammo. Since you've run a good bit of it through your carry gun and it functioned well so far, I wouldn't worry about it.

I no longer own any 40 caliber handguns, but my Glock 23 mags were very tight compared to my 9mm Glocks.
    If this subjectively-noticed phenomenon is actually taking place, it is not a function of diameter, but of bullet profile. Rounds in a magazine usually don't just stack neatly, lying parallel to one another. Rather, they tilt up and down, and the tilt changes as the mag is filled, and as it empties. Some bullet profiles tend to make rounds shift forward or backward with this tilting, resulting in drag of the bullet nose or case head on the inside of the magazine, and slightly changing the overall height of the column of ammo in the mag. I've noticed this many times over the years, always when a mag is stacked to full capacity, and especially in some 8-round 1911 .45 mags and 10 round .38 Super mags.

I have 124 g HST in my XD 9 and they work flawlessly.

For those who say they work, do you mean they go bang and put a hole in paper - or do you mean you've tested their expansion?

There's a difference... and I'm genuinely curious as I'd like to know the results.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    If this subjectively-noticed phenomenon is actually taking place, it is not a function of diameter, but of bullet profile. Rounds in a magazine usually don't just stack neatly, lying parallel to one another. Rather, they tilt up and down, and the tilt changes as the mag is filled, and as it empties. Some bullet profiles tend to make rounds shift forward or backward with this tilting, resulting in drag of the bullet nose or case head on the inside of the magazine, and slightly changing the overall height of the column of ammo in the mag. I've noticed this many times over the years, always when a mag is stacked to full capacity, and especially in some 8-round 1911 .45 mags and 10 round .38 Super mags.
    Thanks for the explanation on that. I've noticed the shifting as well many times, but wasn't aware, or never really thought about it, that it could cause a tighter mag like that. I've noticed it many times with 5.56 mags especially.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    For those who say they work, do you mean they go bang and put a hole in paper - or do you mean you've tested their expansion?
    Like I said earlier, I've actually tested them in ballistic gel at an FBI seminar. We shot bare gelatin, "lightly clothed" (i.e. a few layers of T-shirt material), "heavily clothed" (several layers of denim), through sheet metal, auto-glass, and sheetrock. We shot 180s and 165s and they all did quite well. Sheet metal tended to compress the front of the round, almost like swaging it into a bulb, but there was still some expantion, just a bit more penetration. Auto-glass dramatically increased expansion but we still got 12" or so of penetration. We laughingly joked we were all going to carrry around little samples of tempered glass to shoot bad guys through so we'd get bigger holes. ;)
    Now, for most civilian carry, how a round performs through sheet metal, sheetrock, and tempered glass is, IMHO, of little real value. How many times is as civilian going to need to shoot through a car or through walls, especially multiple walls, in a self defense type scenario? Still, it's nice to know it will, I suppose. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CeltKnight View Post
    Now, for most civilian carry, how a round performs through sheet metal, sheetrock, and tempered glass is, IMHO, of little real value. How many times is as civilian going to need to shoot through a car or through walls, especially multiple walls, in a self defense type scenario? Still, it's nice to know it will, I suppose. :)
    totally agree. my good friend won't touch anything that isn't bonded and thinks I'm crazy for carrying the HST after we couldn't make it expand though plywood and sheet metal in his test. i think the bonded properties of a bullet are for the offensive roles leo's may encounter and a citizen carries for defense. you probably can't go wrong with bonded of course. and I know of several much more scientific barrier tests where the HST performed very well.

Ok. I was able to fire these yesterday with no difficulties. The magazines with HSTs did have to be pushed in harder into the gun. Magazines with federal factory range rounds were easier to load in the gun. I appreciate getting all the feedback from this post! :D

Using Tapatalk

No problems with Federal HST in 180grain, 165grain or 230grain.

do a search for ATK wound ballistics workshop for many testing workshops with HST's, Gold Dot's (both from ATK), and other brands of ammo.

Federal 40 cal 180 HST problems in Glock model 22

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I recently got Federal HST .40cal 180gr for my glock 23. Ive noticed the magazine is more difficult to lock in to the gun. This is the only ammo that feels tight when in the magazine, and it is the same with all 3 magazines. Any one else notice this with this ammo or any other?

Using Tapatalk
    Yes, I just noticed the problem upon using the 180 HST. Never had problems with 155/165 or 180 SXT. Magazine tight, very tight. Shells appear slightly bigger in diameter?

My Glock 32 is stoked with 357sig HST's. Yes I feel safe.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Are we suggesting that Federal increases the case diameter so severely that a mag spring is over tensioned? Remember that in order to reliably cycle, it needs to be within chamber specs. Let's assume that an average .40 case has a diameter of .423". What if Federal makes their case 0.001" thicker? Multiply that by 26 (13 rounds with case walls in contact twice). Now multiply 0.026" by the cosine of your double stack angle (45 deg?). Are you going to feel 0.018" in your mag spring? That is beyond the tolerance to which mag spring diameters, base plates, and followers are manufactured.

Let's discuss "bullet profile". .40S&W is a straight walled case. They do lie parallel in the mag. It is totally incomparable with 5.56 which has a taper. That is why 5.56 mags need to curve. Regardless, Federal does not offer a different profile than all other .40 manufacturers. It still needs to cycle through all .40 chambers at safe pressures.

Haven't bought into the hype on the HST been carrying Ranger T's and Gold Dots for years with the only exception being my 357 sig, which I carry golden saber bonded 125gr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links