Anyone have Federal HST ?

This is a discussion on Anyone have Federal HST ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got Federal HST .40cal 180gr for my glock 23. Ive noticed the magazine is more difficult to lock in to the gun. This ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone have Federal HST ?

Anyone have Federal HST ?

I recently got Federal HST .40cal 180gr for my glock 23. Ive noticed the magazine is more difficult to lock in to the gun. This is the only ammo that feels tight when in the magazine, and it is the same with all 3 magazines. Any one else notice this with this ammo or any other?

Using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I have a Glock 23 and use white box Federal 180gr. HST with no probs. It seemed to loosen up after several mags fed through. I have shot close to 600 rounds with NO ftf or any hiccups at all. My edc and have no reservations with this ammo at all.
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

no problems here. I like the ammo.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I'm shooting 147 gr. Federal HST's in 9mm. No issues here with loading 17 round magazines.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I as well have not noticed a difference. I carry 147g Federal HST
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Try locking the slide back when inserting the mag. Then chambering it that way.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I haven't and it's my primary carry round for both 9mm and 45. I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it loaded full and seated on a closed slide and it'll give if it happens again. For carry, I no longer top off mags. For spare mag carry if this was still an issue, I'd download by one for now and there's no guarantee you'll seat the mag with an open slide if that time ever comes, so I'd err on the side of caution with that for now.

For administrative loading, I seat a full mag then load it using an overhand grip. It should eventually loosen up. EDIT - I don't know how I missed that it already did loosen up. - EDIT

At the same, it seems odd that this is happening with only that round. There should be no difference in diameter regardless of who makes the ammo. Since you've run a good bit of it through your carry gun and it functioned well so far, I wouldn't worry about it.

I no longer own any 40 caliber handguns, but my Glock 23 mags were very tight compared to my 9mm Glocks.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

no issues with HST's in a G26/27/23, P229R/40, P239/9mm, PF9 or Rami/9mm.

It's what I and WitcheeKim are running in our M&P's. No seating problems whatsoever with her 9c or my 45c.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

We were issuing 180 gr. HST rounds for our SIG .40s (P226s, P229s). I've shot 'em in both and a Kahr K40 Covert and PM40 with no issues (other than questioning my sanity for buying a tiny polymer handgun in .40 S&W, LOL). We recently switched to 165 gt. HSTs and no probs like you described either. Interesting ....
    FWIW, when I had the privledge of attending an FBI ballistics workshop a few months ago, that HST round (both 165 and 180 gr loads) were quite "barrier blind" and expanded quite well with excellent penetration from short and long barrels (specifically my 3" bbl PM40 and a guy's custom 6" bbl Glock ... yes, we accused him of "compensating" heh-heh, heh-heh).

No problems here with m&p9c

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I had to shoot my wife's dead mini refrigerator several times with 165gr hst in order to retrieve a bullet. I kept adding barrier after barrier. finally after shooting through 3/8"plywood, through the removed refrigerator door, the side of refrigerator, (2) 2ltr bottles of water then out the other side I was able to retrieve a bullet at the base of the tree stump where it exited. the reason I couldn't find them is because they weren't expanding. they just zipped right through it all.

gold dot on left. hst right.

my friend wanted to experiment with bonded vs non bonded. the 165gr bonded gold dot went through almost all that (minus the plywood) and was found lodged in the sheet metal of the last refrigerator side. decent expansion too.

Federal STD????????
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

No seating problems with 9mm 147+P HSTs in my SR9c or .40 180gr government contract HSTs in an M&P40.

I carry HST in 180gr in my M&P .40. I have ran about 100 rounds of the ammo through the gun with no probs. I recommend it!!! and CTD had it for 20 bucks too.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links