Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry? - Page 2

Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry?

This is a discussion on Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you guys read those two links in my first post, it's full of great information on ballistics....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry?

If you guys read those two links in my first post, it's full of great information on ballistics.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb
    I Like the 230 HST followed by the 230 RANGER/PDX1 and the 230 GOLD DOT. In a compact .45 like the G36 I would most likely go with the 185 DPX . It meets the FBI Protocol and would have a lighter recoil impulse in the smaller gun.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I like the 230 grain HST's but my preference is the Speer Gold Dot 200+P GDHP. I prefer it's nice mix of weight and speed.
    When I had a .45, the Gold dot 200gr +p was what I used.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Keep in mind that Ranger T Series, SXT and PDX1 are different things with Ranger T Series being the supposed law enforcement only ammo. THe SXT has a small opening as does PDX1. PDX1 is one of the others (SXT or bonded, memory fails me right now) rebranded and sold in 20 round boxes instead of 50. Not sure if there's a 50, but there wasn't when then first came out.

If oyu can find Ranger T Series without "SXT" following it (RA9T, RA40T, RA45T), buy it up.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I use speer gold dot 230 grshort barrel in my amt backup

230 grain GI type FMJ. I don't trust ANY hollowpoint in ANY 1911.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

And bluesteel, that's a reasonable choice though not popular in forum-land.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The question is "which bullet gets the job done when delivered to the heart or CNS?"

The answer, of course, is "all of them."

If '9mm v 45' is a pointless, neverending debate that always ends in "SHOT PLACEMENT!!" then surely any debate within smaller parameters is going to end the same way. At the moment, I happen to be carrying HST 230gr +P because a box of 50 rds came with the G30 when I bought it. When those run out, I'll be replacing them with something affordable in the JHP category from a reputable manufacturer.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I think I'm gonna load up my carry mag as follows:

Round 1: CorBon DPX 185gr +p
    Round 2: Remington Golden Sabre 230gr +p
    Round 3: Gold Dot 230gr
    Round 4: Ranger T 230gr +p
    Round 5: Critical Defense 185gr
    Round 6: Buffalo Bore 230gr
    Round 7: WWB Ball Ammo
    Round 8: CCI ShotShell

This way I am sure ONE of them will perform and stop whatever I am shooting.
    That might work. :)
    --Jason--

Of course shot placement is key and we should constantly train for speed and accuracy. But, for anyone that's been there, when you're moving and trying to hit another moving target, shot placement is nothing more than a hope. So, any small advantage you can get, go for it. I switched two years ago to 9mm from 45. Either way, I'll always carry the best ammo I can find, even if I have to seek it out like HST or Ranger T.

Same goes for my 5.56 guns. TSX or 75gr TAP. I'll take the advantage as I know for a fact my hits will not be exactly where I want them.

If I was going 45 acp then it would be a full size glock....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I also use a Glock 36 for CC, Honestly (laugh if you wish) I stagger my clip with Zombie Max and Federal FMJ. Im not
    expecting to get into a shooting match beyond 15-20 yards with my Glock 36, I always have a back up in the car, either the
    Ruger SR9c or the FNH 5.7.
    I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
    - Rambo, John J.

RKM
    Ranger-T's are great if they expand consistently. I've seen time and time again examples of the Ranger-T failing to expand. I think it has something to do with it's shallow and small hollow point cavity. It plugs up very easily when shout through clothing. HST, Gold Dot's and Cor-Bon DPX are my go-to rounds. I keep my carry Glock's loaded with HST, my J-frame loaded with Gold Dots and My USP for home defense with DPX. I do however have a mag loaded with Ranger-T for my 1911, just because. If Ranger T expands, it's wicked.... but it's just not consistent enough from what I've seen on the interwebs. HST, DPX and Gold-Dots expand almost everytime even shot through thick clothing.

There are some good videos out there touting all the different choices and running them through all of the different paces ... worth watching a few.

Whatever you choose, the 1911 was born and bred to deliver 230 grain pills.

smolck and Foo909 like this.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Ranger-T's are great if they expand consistently. I've seen time and time again examples of the Ranger-T failing to expand. I think it has something to do with it's shallow and small hollow point cavity. It plugs up very easily when shout through clothing. HST, Gold Dot's and Cor-Bon DPX are my go-to rounds. I keep my carry Glock's loaded with HST, my J-frame loaded with Gold Dots and My USP for home defense with DPX. I do however have a mag loaded with Ranger-T for my 1911, just because. If Ranger T expands, it's wicked.... but it's just not consistent enough from what I've seen on the interwebs. HST, DPX and Gold-Dots expand almost everytime even shot through thick clothing.
    Are you talking about Ranger T's or Ranger T SXT? Ranger T has a much larger opening and is one of the most consistent rounds out there along with HST.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links