Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry? - Page 4

Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry?

This is a discussion on Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BrianJ I dont even see HST on Federals website. Regardless...I just ordered 2 50rd boxes of standard pressure. WEEEEEEE http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    I dont even see HST on Federals website. Regardless...I just ordered 2 50rd boxes of standard pressure. WEEEEEEE
    http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    I dont even see HST on Federals website. Regardless...I just ordered 2 50rd boxes of standard pressure. WEEEEEEE
    From where?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    From where?
    Federal Ammo: LE Tactical .45 ACP HST | Streichers Police Equipment

ordered saturday...had a ups tracking # by 2pm today.
    XD9sc
    XDm 45c

Why wouldn't you get +P if it was available for you SD round? Who cares if it's a little snappier... it will be that much snappier on the BG too. It's not like you'll be shooting hundreds of rounds of it everyday. Practice with it to make sure you can get off a follow up shot without too much trouble and that you don't have any malfunctions and sleep easy with a tiny bit of extra FPS when it counts.

Though I suppose if you have a tiny 2" or barrel or something, that extra powder will just end up being smoke, flame and unburned powder cruising out with no FPS bump over standard pressure. And I suppose if your gun manufacturer specifically forbids +P. But otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    Why wouldn't you get +P if it was available for you SD round? Who cares if it's a little snappier... it will be that much snappier on the BG too. It's not like you'll be shooting hundreds of rounds of it everyday. Practice with it to make sure you can get off a follow up shot without too much trouble and that you don't have any malfunctions and sleep easy with a tiny bit of extra FPS when it counts.

Though I suppose if you have a tiny 2" or barrel or something, that extra powder will just end up being smoke, flame and unburned powder cruising out with no FPS bump over standard pressure. And I suppose if your gun manufacturer specifically forbids +P. But otherwise...
    Why get it if you don't need it?
    You already have a 230gr. bullet, if you need more speed, drop down to 185gr. or get a .460 Rowland conversion.
    --Jason--

That seems like a ridiculous, unanswerable question. How do you possibly know you don't need it? How could you ever know what situation you might be faced with in which a tiny bit of extra power or penetration could be the difference between life or death for you?

Federal HST (after a fair bit of research), 9mm 147gr., .40 180gr., .45 230gr., all standard pressure. I had some very informative email exchange with a representative of ATK (parent company of Federal, Speer, etc.) who told me that with today's bullet technology, the only reason they offer +P loadings is that they have a market for them......there's NO need for +P. Also, HST (Winchester Ranger T also, which would be a VERY close second choice!) is sold in boxes of 50 rounds for not much more than most other SD ammo sold in quantities of 20 or 25. Works for me !! (^_^)
    sgb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    That seems like a ridiculous, unanswerable question. How do you possibly know you don't need it? How could you ever know what situation you might be faced with in which a tiny bit of extra power or penetration could be the difference between life or death for you?
    Schrödinger's cat. "Ridiculous, unanswerable question" is what makes the internet fun.

Sounds like a 10mm would be better if I was concerned about extra power. :)
    The .45acp has been taking care of America since 1905/1906 and I'm not sure how much a 9.5% increase in pressure will help in 2012. When a hollowpoint wasn't very reliable then the +P was useful.
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Any 185 grain +p. Standard 230 grain loads can over penetrate. 185 grain +p loads have velocities over 1000 fps.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Any 185 grain +p. Standard 230 grain loads can over penetrate. 185 grain +p loads have velocities over 1000 fps.
    And most 185's underpenetrate, which is far worse.

Read this: The Presumptive Hazards of Over-Penetration - M4Carbine.net Forums
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

+1
    Another good article by Dr. Roberts.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

+2. Interesting stuff.

It's not even an issue IMO. The chances of a simple miss are far greater that the whole issue is moot. It is baffling how the "problem" of over penetration even came about. The only real issue is under penetration and why it was a criteria in the FBI protocols. All I care about is good expansion and penetration

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    It's not even an issue IMO. The chances of a simple miss are far greater that the whole issue is moot. It is baffling how the "problem" of over penetration even came about. The only real issue is under penetration and why it was a criteria in the FBI protocols. All I care about is good expansion and penetration

Sent from my 300 baud modem
    Yeah, Dr. Roberts mentions misses in his article.
    Anywhere from 51-88%(he had statistics for a few police departments) of shots fired were a miss. Supposedly, the average encounter only 2-3 shots are fired. If we say 3, and you are a good shot then 1.5 bullets go flying downrange. If your an okay shot, but get worse under stress, then 2.6 rounds go downrange out of 3.
    I hope everyone is dry fire practicing each day.
    All math is "crack math" and shouldn't be used for speech's or research papers.
    --Jason--

Federal HST's available at sgammo.com and tds-us.com (tactical defense solutions), along with Ranger T's.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links