Defensive Carry banner

Which is "best" .45ACP for self defense carry?

84K views 64 replies 39 participants last post by  Blades 
#1 ·
Knowing that the "best" .45ACP round is subjective, I was trying to decide between the Federal HST 230gr +P and the CorBon 185gr +P for use in a Glock 36. They both compare favorably in penetration and expansion. However, I am somewhat hesitant to go with a 185gr round. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

#3 ·
HST, without a doubt. The Ranger T-Series is up there with HST as well. If you're working or spending a lot of time around vehicles, the Ranger bonded is a good choice. 230gr and there's no need for +P unless you're using a shorter barrel. The extra velocity is not necessarily an advantage in heavy handgun rounds. For a 4" barrel or longer, I'd stay with 230gr standard pressure HST or Ranger Bonded, depending on what I'm doing.

There are others as well, but these should do everything you could ever need. I'm not basing my comments on opinion, this is what data shows from autopsies of shooting victims (or shooting deservers) and exhaustive testing and research from some of the most respected experts in small arms ballistics.

These links for Dr Gary Roberts (DocGKR has some great info).

Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

#5 ·
That's my primary 9mm carry round as well.

#6 ·
I have no issue carrying the 185gr Critical Defense. My own tests and internet tests I have seen show adequate performance. That said, I am thinking very hard about going back to Gold Dots in 230gr. If you go to youtube and hit up Tnoutdoors9 channel, he has a sub section of all his .45acp tests. Very interesting.

#9 ·
I read some bad things about the 200gr 45's performing poorly but if memory serves me, which i do not trust these day, was talking about old school 200gr HP's. Tnoutdoors9 nine did a test with the 200gr and it performed beautifully. That said I have DPX 185gr +P in my short barrel 45's.

#14 ·
I think I'm gonna load up my carry mag as follows:

Round 1: CorBon DPX 185gr +p
Round 2: Remington Golden Sabre 230gr +p
Round 3: Gold Dot 230gr
Round 4: Ranger T 230gr +p
Round 5: Critical Defense 185gr
Round 6: Buffalo Bore 230gr
Round 7: WWB Ball Ammo
Round 8: CCI ShotShell

This way I am sure ONE of them will perform and stop whatever I am shooting.

Reactions: Fisher10
#16 ·
If you guys read those two links in my first post, it's full of great information on ballistics.

#19 ·
Keep in mind that Ranger T Series, SXT and PDX1 are different things with Ranger T Series being the supposed law enforcement only ammo. THe SXT has a small opening as does PDX1. PDX1 is one of the others (SXT or bonded, memory fails me right now) rebranded and sold in 20 round boxes instead of 50. Not sure if there's a 50, but there wasn't when then first came out.

If oyu can find Ranger T Series without "SXT" following it (RA9T, RA40T, RA45T), buy it up.

#23 ·
The question is "which bullet gets the job done when delivered to the heart or CNS?"

The answer, of course, is "all of them."

If '9mm v 45' is a pointless, neverending debate that always ends in "SHOT PLACEMENT!!" then surely any debate within smaller parameters is going to end the same way. At the moment, I happen to be carrying HST 230gr +P because a box of 50 rds came with the G30 when I bought it. When those run out, I'll be replacing them with something affordable in the JHP category from a reputable manufacturer.

#25 ·
Of course shot placement is key and we should constantly train for speed and accuracy. But, for anyone that's been there, when you're moving and trying to hit another moving target, shot placement is nothing more than a hope. So, any small advantage you can get, go for it. I switched two years ago to 9mm from 45. Either way, I'll always carry the best ammo I can find, even if I have to seek it out like HST or Ranger T.

Same goes for my 5.56 guns. TSX or 75gr TAP. I'll take the advantage as I know for a fact my hits will not be exactly where I want them.

#27 ·
I also use a Glock 36 for CC, Honestly (laugh if you wish) I stagger my clip with Zombie Max and Federal FMJ. Im not
expecting to get into a shooting match beyond 15-20 yards with my Glock 36, I always have a back up in the car, either the
Ruger SR9c or the FNH 5.7.

#28 ·
Ranger-T's are great if they expand consistently. I've seen time and time again examples of the Ranger-T failing to expand. I think it has something to do with it's shallow and small hollow point cavity. It plugs up very easily when shout through clothing. HST, Gold Dot's and Cor-Bon DPX are my go-to rounds. I keep my carry Glock's loaded with HST, my J-frame loaded with Gold Dots and My USP for home defense with DPX. I do however have a mag loaded with Ranger-T for my 1911, just because. If Ranger T expands, it's wicked.... but it's just not consistent enough from what I've seen on the interwebs. HST, DPX and Gold-Dots expand almost everytime even shot through thick clothing.

#30 ·
Are you talking about Ranger T's or Ranger T SXT? Ranger T has a much larger opening and is one of the most consistent rounds out there along with HST.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.