Saw two new bullets on Future Weapons

This is a discussion on Saw two new bullets on Future Weapons within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I watched the TV show, Future Weapons on the Military Channel last night and they featured two new bullets. One was a .408 round for ...

I watched the TV show, Future Weapons on the Military Channel last night and they featured two new bullets.

One was a .408 round for a new sniper rifle system. Very impressive; less recoil and a faster round than the .50.

The other was a 6mm rifle round for a new type of assault gun they were calling a 'personal defense weapon'. It is to replace the 9mm H&K, basically giving you the punch of a rifle in a sub-machine gun package.

Future Weapons : Military Channel
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Fun site. I like the notion of the 6mm rifle. I'd dump the .223 as our service rifle round in an instant if I "ran the show."

I wandered into the section on aircraft and took the B-17 quiz for fun. Only missed one, number 6 on who holds the record for heavy bomber combat missions.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Are you talking about the Cheytac and KAC's PDW? If so, don't hold your breath on the Knight's Armament. An awesome rifle with incredible potential, but we're not going to see it any time soon. They're currently looking at ways to make it a little more M4-like to cut production costs. Awesome rifle though and I WILL have an 8" version as soon as they're available.

As fo the Cheytac, there's a lot of internal problems with the company. It's been a process, to say the least. Currently, the system is extremely expensive and we have no guarantee it'll continue on. If it does, it's a heck of a round. Having said that, I currently have a Barrett m107 and 98b. The 338 Lapua does everything I could ever need and not sure the Cheytac offers that much of an advantage. Flat shooting is nice, but with quality optics and some data or ballistics calculator, it's easy to compensate for, so it really isn't that much of an "advantage". Still, I like it's potential as well.

Now, I may have completely missed the mark here and you were talking about two entirely different things! It's happened before and surely it'll happen again.

Having said all of that, I take EVERYTHING Mac says on that show with a grain of salt. The MP7, LWRC, Kriss stuff is all a bit silly. But, it is entertaining and he certainly has credentials. But, I think he caved to the highest God's (cash) demands. Still, I'm happy to see firearms related show on television. Well, besides the bubba gunsmithing show that just makes us all look like idiots.

Can you link directly to the videos you're talking about?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'll try to link the videos. I think I was watching re-runs so I'll have search.

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Knight's PDW -

CheyTac -

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Are you talking about the Cheytac and KAC's PDW? If so, don't hold your breath on the Knight's Armament. An awesome rifle with incredible potential, but we're not going to see it any time soon. They're currently looking at ways to make it a little more M4-like to cut production costs. Awesome rifle though and I WILL have an 8" version as soon as they're available.
    What is the benefit of their 6mm round compared to the 6.5mm Grendel or the 6.8mm?? Just wondering.

What about the MP5/10? I know there discontinued now, but I'd like one. :)
    --Jason--

It'll be tough for anyone to beat the Barrett .416 design, out of a M82A1, anytime soon.

But that CheyTec LRRS is definitely making a push to be the big dog on the 2000 meter line these days.

I saw that Future Weapons as well mano ... makes you wanna run out there and invest in one, does it not?

Modern Firearms - CheyTac Intervention
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    What is the benefit of their 6mm round compared to the 6.5mm Grendel or the 6.8mm?? Just wondering.

What about the MP5/10? I know there discontinued now, but I'd like one. :)
    Size and controllability. It has a little less recoil than a 5.56 and performs as well or better in an 8" platform as the 5.56 does in 14.5". The bullet itself was designed for short barrels. Now, we can run a 6.8 in an 8" barrel (I have the PSD from LWRC), and get great terminal ballistics, but it's not as light and recoil is quite a bit more.

My 10.5" 5.56 under full auto will quickly run off target at 10 meters. My MP5 (which I sold not too long ago), I could dump an entire mag into a fist sized group at 20 meters. The PDW is basically a cross between the two. Now, I've used a 10.5" in vehicles many times and I'm perfectly content with the size, but if I can get a smaller package with better controllability and a little better terminal ballistics, I'm all for it. The folding stock isn't a big deal for me, but I wouldn't complain either.

As for the Cheytac, it looks very impressive and I hope it makes it. Right now, the ammo is priced about the same as 338 Lapua and a little more than 50bmg. But, the rifles are very pricey, just a little under $20,000. My Barrett 98b was about $5,000 and my Barrett 107 was about $10,000 with the bipod and rear monopod plus 4 magazines.

I'm not a long range precision shooter, so the 338 Lapua is far more than enough for me. Time will tell where the Cheytac will end up. As Airborne Falcon mentioned, the 416 Barrett will be very hard to beat. The advantage there is a well established company and a proven platform. We'll see where that one goes as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Size and controllability. It has a little less recoil than a 5.56 and performs as well or better in an 8" platform as the 5.56 does in 14.5". The bullet itself was designed for short barrels. Now, we can run a 6.8 in an 8" barrel (I have the PSD from LWRC), and get great terminal ballistics, but it's not as light and recoil is quite a bit more.

My 10.5" 5.56 under full auto will quickly run off target at 10 meters. My MP5 (which I sold not too long ago), I could dump an entire mag into a fist sized group at 20 meters. The PDW is basically a cross between the two. Now, I've used a 10.5" in vehicles many times and I'm perfectly content with the size, but if I can get a smaller package with better controllability and a little better terminal ballistics, I'm all for it. The folding stock isn't a big deal for me, but I wouldn't complain either.
    Good to know, thanks Jon.
    --Jason--

I should mention that my fist size group at 20 meters from my MP5 is more like a 10" group, but hopefully you get the idea.

I should mention that my fist size group at 20 meters from my MP5 is more like a 10" group, but hopefully you get the idea.
    No worries. I know you hit what your aiming at. :)
    --Jason--

Links