defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver..

This is a discussion on defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver.. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Federal used to only sell these to law enforcement. Bad news they are hard to find. This ammo is being made again,, it is a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver..

Federal used to only sell these to law enforcement. Bad news they are hard to find. This ammo is being made again,, it is a nylon coated soft lead bullet and is considered by some as one of the best for snubs. One of the few that will expand at low speeds...

This site has them on order. I think I bought the last 2 boxes from them.......
    PISTOL AMMUNITION - Assorted Carry Ammo - FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP - (P38M) - 20 ROUNDS

Also out of stock at:
    Federal Premium® Personal Defense® - .38 Special 125gr Nyclad HP 20/Box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Snub Expansion test - Federal 125 Gr Nyclad HP - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Nyclads in my Mod 37 old-school Airweight.
    Wadcutters loaded to 809 fps in my Mod 32-1, but that's a story I've told elsewhere.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Laz
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yes, but Laz, SAAMI has fiddled with what they publish as standard pressure loadings for the .38 Special and .38 Special +P on several occasion over the years, both up and down.
    You are absolutely right and in my older/pre-plus P rated, alloy-framed snub revolvers, were I to choose a plus P load it would be that 158 grain LSWCHP+P because it is effective, it is proven, it is heavy, it is loaded to NMT 18,500 psi (at least by the big companies since it is a vintage load), and it is lead and not jacketed which is a further reduction of strain on the revolver. I do believe that at least some of the better, modern loadings are best reserved for guns of a newer, stronger design, which current J-frames and the LCR are. Still, even LCRs have been reported to show slight stretching, but after several thousand rounds of plus P. I'm a bit cautious with my model 37s as they are no lock, no MIM and won't be made again. I also have a substantial cache of Nyclads. :-)

my 642 carries standard pressure Magsafes. reload is standard pressure Federal or Hornady JHPs in a Galco 2x2x2.

Buffalo Bore 158g +p LSWCHP in mine... Wadcutters in hers. 642 and 442 respectively.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    +1 on Hornady Critical Defense. I've also on occasion carried Hydroshocks.

Remington 158 grain LSWCHP +P since picking up a model
    60 in the 90's. Now carry the LCR, but the load is still the same.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    So many choices... right now mine is loaded with Winchester PDX 130 great +p.
    That's what I have loaded in my LCR
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Buffalo bore 150 full wadcutters and Remmington standard 158 SWC in speed strips for a reload.

There are guns I don't care to carry +P in and all of those have Nyclads in them. I have yet to find a better standard pressure load to use. For guns I do use +P in I use mostly 158gr LSWCHP, including some Nyclads that I have left over in that weight (if anyone wants to join me in emailing Federal begging them to bring them back feel free). About all of my speedloaders or tuff strips are loaded with 125gr Gold Saber +P. They load easy into chambers and don't deform like the Nyclads or softer lead HPs. I have also used Hydra Shok and DPX for the same purpose but I wasn't impressed with the DPX performance in Highly Scientific Wet Newspaper from snubs.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Winchester PDX 1 in my 442
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I load my LCR 357 with DPX 110gr +p cause that's what the wifey shoots accurately. Before she started shooting it I had 357 Gold dot 135gr Short barrel loaded which I actually shoot more accurately than the 38 special stuff. But there's a lot of good 38 special loads. I wouldn't even hesitate to use the Hornady CD. That stuff seems to perform well in snubby's.

lots of good choices and recommendations,thanks for the input...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    158gr LSWC or silvertips or nyclads.

i'll likely never use up all i have.
    in 3" i do run a 158 gr LSWC +p. it cronos nicely.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Winchester PDX 1 in my 442
    Here lately, this is what I've been carrying in my jframe, I'm using the +p version though.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links