defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver.. - Page 3

defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver..

This is a discussion on defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver.. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SPEER 53921 GLDDOT 38SPL+P 135GDHPSB I heard these were developed for those in law enforcement carrying snubbies. I think this round has an excellent track ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: defensive loads for the .38cal snub revolver..

SPEER 53921 GLDDOT 38SPL+P 135GDHPSB

I heard these were developed for those in law enforcement carrying snubbies. I think this round has an excellent track record in actual use.

Btw, this is a 135 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point Short Barrel from Speer.
    sgb likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    130-gr. Winchester Ranger +P in a Ruger LCR. I would prefer 135-gr. SGDHP SB, but I've never been able to find any.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I don't know if my 3" M36 is considered a snub or not, but the ol' FBI load is my choice. I like it because it shoots nicely to poiht of aim; lighter bullets tend to shoot a little low.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Yeah and the "FBI Load" has always behaved like that for me too in any fixed sight Smith & Wesson revolver I ever tested. At 15 yards the "FBI Load" may shoot as much whole inch lower than a standard velocity 158 grain but many times the two groups would overlap. I have lots of fixed sight Smith & Wesson revolvers in different calibers and spanning over a century and have owned others. I'm still waiting on one that didn't shoot to point of aim with ammunition of generally accepted standard weight. Older fixed sight Colts are also pretty reliable but I do have a couple that are off by enough of a margin to be a nuisance at longer distances.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

sgb
    Per DocGKR

Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links