Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?") - Page 2

Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?")

This is a discussion on Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?") within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Corbons 115+p-JHP has an excellent street record! Here's a video showing the power of this ammo! Cor-Bon 115gr 9mm JHP +P - Ammo Test - ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?")

Corbons 115+p-JHP has an excellent street record!
    Here's a video showing the power of this ammo!

Cor-Bon 115gr 9mm JHP +P - Ammo test - YouTube
    sensei2 likes this.

Check out the brassfetcher report with bone and gelatin. Corbin dpx and federal efmj are pretty much the only roh ds that consistently and reliably expa d. All other big names failed. They have pictures to prove it. You see it filled with synthetic bone media.

Any quality cartridge loaded with a Barnes 115gr copper hollow point is a good choice. Beyond that, I'm not interested in 115gr bullets though some very hot loads do peak my interest with their claimed velocity and energy numbers.

Bullet designs and composition play a major part in this, but generally speaking, light weight bullets won't travel through barriers as well as a heavier bullet and when it does impact your intended target, it may not penetrate as deep as you need it to while a heavier bullet would. You don't need a whole lot of penetration to reach the vitals of an attacker when he's squared up with you, but consider if he is standing quartering towards you, or turned to the side. If that happens, you may have an arm to penetrate through also. Carrying a load that allows decent penetration is good insurance. The Barnes bullet does have better penetration than a typical 115gr.

Keep in mind: Even though the Barnes bullet weighs 115gr, copper is not as dense as lead so more copper is needed to create a 115gr projectile than what is needed for a traditional lead/copper 115gr bullet. It weighs 115gr, but it may be as long as a 124gr or heavier bullet. I think this could affect your POA/POI as well as recoil impulse since you seem concerned by that. I don't think you should be concerned about carrying a different weight than what you're practicing with at the moment.

I highly recommend looking at other premium defense loads in 124gr or 147gr. The difference in recoil is minimal. Seriously. At self defense distances, the POI is not going to change much at all, no matter what bullet weight you're using. Those Barnes bullets work well, but they are not cheap and for what you're paying for 20 rounds, could get you 50 rounds or more of a proven law enforcement duty load like Speer Gold Dots, Federal HSTs or Winchester Ranger-Ts.
    I practice mostly with my 124gr RN and HP reloads but I occasionally load 115gr and 147gr. I carry 147gr +P Federal HSTs.

One of the reasons I don't care for the Cor-bon load you're asking about is that it is loaded in plain brass cases, no different than cheap range ammo. I know it probably won't make any difference, but if you're paying a lot of money for premium defense ammo (anything Cor-bon isn't cheap), it should have nickle plated casings. I'm sure there's another thread to read about the advantages of nickle plated cases.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Check out the brassfetcher report with bone and gelatin. Corbin dpx and federal efmj are pretty much the only roh ds that consistently and reliably expa d. All other big names failed. They have pictures to prove it. You see it filled with synthetic bone media.
    I wonder why didn't they put their "bone" into the gelatin, everyone knows a hollowpoint needs some fluid before it will expand, if you plug the hollowpoint with "bone" then you just made a FMJ. I read on another forum that "...the test is sponsored and the sponsor doesn't want it repeated with the bone simulant inside the gel." I wonder who the sponsor was...

I'll stick with what Dr. Roberts recommends based on his studies. Here is a quote from the article: "Some people like the Federal EFMJ since it's a "FMJ" design that is supposed to expand. While it does decrease feeding issues somewhat due to its shape, there's also a high failure rate in the neighborhood of 20% when it comes to reliable expansion. The other negative for this bullet is that it lacks sharp edges which slice though tissue and make a larger permanent cavity than a more rounded profile which tends to push tissue out of the way only to have it return to its original shape."
    Fisher10 likes this.
    --Jason--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links