Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?")

This is a discussion on Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?") within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to firearms & thus am looking to stick with 115gr hollowpoints for now in my M&P9c. I started with the Hornady Critical Defense ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB (or "What's the Best 115gr 9mm Hollowpoint?")

I'm new to firearms & thus am looking to stick with 115gr hollowpoints for now in my M&P9c. I started with the Hornady Critical Defense 115gr based on a dealer's recommendation and have since read a bunch of posts weighing the pros/cons of them (i.e. the 'it won't shoot thru glass, fiberglass, heavy clothing or forearms vs placement of the shot is more important than the penetration of the shot).

After doing some more homework i came across this webpage by Dr. Gary Robets where the Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB round was listed as one of his top ten 9mm rounds and was the only round that was 115gr.

Keeping in mind that I want to stick to 115gr, I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the Cor-BonDPX/BarnesXPB round or otherwise had another recommendation for a 115gr 9mm hollowpoint round.

On the chance that anyone does recommend the Cor-Bon round, I'd also like to inquire for suggestions on the best online site to purchase them.

RKM
    If you have to stick with 115gr, Barnes bullets would be it. There are other "ok" choices in such a light bullet, but the winner is easily the Barnes. Being all copper, they're forced to be lightweight. But despite they're lack of weight, they are the best penetrating 115gr (or light for any caliber) choice there is.

I like both the regular Cor-bon 115+P load and the DPX. The Barnes bullet is a good one. You would be well armed with either in your gun's magazine.
    Neither will come apart in the torso or the brain of a bad guy (under normal conditions). With pretty much all the premium defense ammo from all the reputable manufacturers, you're good to go with pretty much anything out there as long as you do your part.
    For that matter, what is really wrong with the Critical Defense rounds you now own? They will pretty much shoot to the same point of impact as generic 9mm FMJ ammo you'd find at Wal Mart, and they are designed for the kind of self-defense situations that average lawfully armed citizens encounter. Based on all the testing I've seen, they also reliably expand, something that is critical when you push 9mm ammo to the task of saving your life.
    With all due respect to Dr. Roberts (I've read all that stuff, too), the ammunition recommendations he makes is geared more toward law enforcers and the situations they face. Average lawfully armed citizens don't make traffic stops, so bullets being able to penetrate auto body sheet metal and other barriers is probably less critical in citizen self-defense than the load being reliable and the bullet expanding reliably.
    If you want to use what Dr. Roberts recomments, great. Just don't limit yourself to the loads he recommends just because he does. Make up your own mind based on what you feel comfortable shooting and what you can afford to train with. Having ammunition that costs so much that you fail to train with it can end up being worse than having a less-recommended load that you and your gun like and can hit with, every time.
    sensei2 likes this.

Welcome to the forum "Bedrockk"!

Why do you want to stick with the 115gr? Just wondering.

I checked HERE, but didn't find any, so I checked at Ammo Engine and found them here. At $2.21 a bullet, you'll defiantly need bullet placement. :)
    --Jason--

thanks to all for the responses.

as to Blades' question, i want to currently stick to 115gr b/c i am brand spanking new to firearms & was concerned about carrying rounds that are heavier than i'm practicing with.

Look at the picture of the box of Cor-Bons..... "Cor-Bon with Barns X" and read the description "Witness impressive expansion from the solid copper Barnes XPB Bullet..."

CORŽBON DPX Handgun Ammunition, Handgun Ammunition, Ammunition, Shooting : Cabela's

I would check ballistic data and buy which ever one had highest muzzle velocity, which is Cor-Bons stock and trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrockk View Post
    thanks to all for the responses.

as to Blades' question, i want to currently stick to 115gr b/c i am brand spanking new to firearms & was concerned about carrying rounds that are heavier than i'm practicing with.

Ahhhh, okay, that makes sense. :)
    --Jason--

Here, let me guide you to this list of ammo that meets FBI performance guidelines. Pick any one of these choices and you will be all set. And dont get too hung up on wanting to pick a 115 grain because it matches the same 115 grain that you use for practice. There is practically zero noticeable difference between 115 and 124 grain in point of aim/point of impact.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I understand you're looking to stick with 115 grain loads, and you have to be comfortable with your choice and be proficient with it. So, I'm not trying to change your mind. However, I agree with the comment above that the felt recoil between a 124 gr. and 115 gr. wouldn't be noticeable, unless perhaps you were shooting +P loads. When I switched to 147 gr. loads for carry, there was a bit of difference in recoil, but it isn't bad at all, and after shooting a few rounds you adapt quickly to them. Perhaps it's because I've been shooting a variety of calibers for years, but switching from the 115 gr. to a 124 or even a 147 made absolutely no difference to me. If you're new to shooting, shoot what you're comfortable with for now,and later try 124 or 147. I think you'll be surprised at how little difference there really is, unless you shoot some +p+ loads, then you will see a difference.

Welcome to the world of handguns. I like the logical thinking you are using in making ammo choices. 115 grain is the most popular "range" round because that it is the cheapest. However, most competitve shooters use 124 or 147 for a reason. There is less transferred energy from from a slower bullet which translates to less felt recoil. I buy and shoot Fiocchi 158 grain 9mm for competition when I can find it because it is the smoothest shooting round I have used.

Back to your original question though, Barnes does make a very effective 115 grain bullet and would be a good choice in this weight.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Quote Originally Posted by Glockanista View Post
    I buy and shoot Fiocchi 158 grain 9mm for competition when I can find it because it is the smoothest shooting round I have used.
    158 grain? Wow. What gun do you use? I would think the bullet would be too long.
    --Jason--

I perfer 115gr 9mm +P+ but I will tell you all bullets are lethal some maybe more than others and people are far more concerned with this than training and practicing and learning tactics and how to shoot. That is what will help you win a gunfight or if you have to fire on someone.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Most any newer testing will always show the Barnes X bullet at near the top.

It's been on the market for years and proved itself in more than a few shootings in varied calibers
    including 9mm in the DPX form.

I think the Barnes TAC-XP has eclipsed all other handgun bullets, and some think that it's the tops for rifle
    bullets as well.

Hell, I'm no expert but I like to see perfectly expanded bullets!

I've shot it and carry it in 9mm and .357 SIG.

All copper, and very accurate..feeds well in all my guns so far.

It will be my carry load in .45 ACP when I buy a 45C later this Summer.

The Corbon DPX has impressive expansion and, well, here's the 115 gr:

It's the one in the middle. Left is Federal Hydra-Shok, and far right is Remington Gold Saber. These are all well-known defensive rounds and I go with Corbon DPX because I like that shape it makes - jagged, widely spaced petals. I'll tell you this: Running a box of DPX at the range to test it in your gun is a very painful experience, given it's around $1.50 a pop.

I've also tried the Federal Hydra-Shok. It, and the Corbon, are very reliable. They both cycle well and have delivered 0 FTFs or FTEs. Both shoot to POA and are brisk in a compact/subcompact 9mm. Price isn't that big of an issue - you'll need at least one box to test and one or two for carry.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    It has been observed by John Farnum that the Barnes bullet's hollow point is less prone to getting plugged with denim, leather, or sheet rock. As opposed to soft lead core HP's, the copper DPX will penetrate hard barriers without deforming or deflecting. Although I reload cast lead and Hornaday XTP's in the 124gr weight, I carry 115 DPX +P when obliged to pocket a 9. In practice, the felt recoil of a standard pressure 124gr bullet is similar to the supercharged 115. The Point Of Impact of your groups is irrelevant at close range, but becomes significant past most defensive distances.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links