147 gr HST

This is a discussion on 147 gr HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the 147 gr HST 9mm that everyone loves so much the P9HST2 number? I have been looking around for this for a couple days ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Happypuppy
  • 1 Post By Blades

Thread: 147 gr HST

147 gr HST

Is the 147 gr HST 9mm that everyone loves so much the P9HST2 number?

I have been looking around for this for a couple days and find it almost impossible to get...then today I find someone that has 77 boxes in stock...is this too good to be true?

Tim

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PI9 View Post
    Is the 147 gr HST 9mm that everyone loves so much the P9HST2 number?

Tim
    The P9HST2 is the correct one. It is a very good load as are all the HST rounds IMO.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

This ammo is hard to find because it is only sold to law enforcement. The only time anyone has it in stock is when it is orderred for LEO's and they have extra or the LEO prder fell through. If you find it and like the ammo, get as much as you can. I love the 124g +p. Down to my last 50 rds.

Kay, I need edjicating. HST? And I know what +P is, but is 147gr really heavy for a 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Kay, I need edjicating. HST? And I know what +P is, but is 147gr really heavy for a 9mm?
    Here is a good overview chart from federal. http://le.atk.com/pdf/HSTInsertPoster.pdf
    HST is most often thought of the 2nd generation of the Hydra Shok series

The 147 appears to expand about the same as the 124 but penetrates a bit more. I don't personally think it needs to be +p. the 124 is a good load as well and I would carry it without any concerns if I could not find the 147

Sent from my 300 baud modem
    lyz_grace likes this.

Thanks for the confirmation. I found a bunch of the 147 gr at sgammo.com, seems to be about the same price as everyone else but they actually have it.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by PI9 View Post
    I found a bunch of the 147 gr at sgammo.com, seems to be about the same price

Tim
    That's where I get my ammo. Good prices and selection as well as quick delivery

I just ran some Federal 147gr and 147gr +p+ Buffalo Bore thru my CZ Rami 9mm yesterday with no problems. CZ doesn't recommend shooting lots of the +p+ stuff, but says that it can handle the pressure. The ++ was only a little snappier than the Federal stuff. Both were accurate. The ++ approaches .357 nbrs out of a 4" barrel, supposedly. The BB is topped with Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    147/124gr is the recommended round for 9mm, based on the FBI protocols I believe.

A lot of good information can be found HERE.

A quote from Doctor Roberts taken from the article: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"
    lyz_grace likes this.
    --Jason--

Links