Defensive Carry banner

38spl +P out of a snub nose vs. 380acp out of the LCP

50K views 52 replies 43 participants last post by  Kutz 
#1 ·
i want to get a Ruger LCR 38spl but i'm wondering if it's worth it since i already have a LCP 380acp. so my question is how much more powerful is the 38spl. +P out of the 2 inch (1.88 to be exact) snub nose revolver versus the 380acp out of the LCP (2.75")? i know there is formula to compute for the energy but i can't remember and i can't find it. :tongue: i also watched different ammo testing of the 38spl. +P and the 380acp and it shows the 38spl penetrates 3" deeper on average.

#33 ·
After a couple of attempts at 380 I finally threw in the towel and my grab n go gun is a 38 j frame. For me it became a matter of dependability in the firearm. Many 380's can be a bit more persnickety than a j frame, it's the nature of the beast. Oh sure, there are plenty of you that are having good luck with your 380's and that's great. Absolutely wonderful and I wish you well. Seriously. But I wasn't comfortable with 380 performance. All the stats in the world won't change individual confidence. I'm much more confident in the 38 so there it is. No second guessing, no doubt, just focus on the target.

America! I love it.

And BTW, if you go with the LCP please consider avoiding that integrated laser. It will die long before the weapon does and then you'll just have extra junk and bulk on the firearm that doesn't work. It's a pitiful marketing design in my opinion. They should be horse whipped for that one. Just my opinion, obviously deep rooted, but if it has batteries or it's electronic in any way, it should be detachable.

#34 ·
I carry one of each. There is a KT P3AT in my RF pants pocket (loaded with 95 gr. fmj) and a S&W 642 on my belt, currently loaded with Hornady CD 110 gr. The KT is a first line of defense, in terms of access. The S&W is "better" because of the variety of ammo it can shoot without much chance of jamming.

#41 ·
I carry my J Frame 642 all the time. My carry load is the Speer Gold Dot 135gr+p specifically designed to optimize performance out a 2" snub. Snappy to be sure, but strong medicine. The bonded bullet has a large hollowpoint that penetrates and reliably expands. Its referred to as the NYPD load as opposed to the FBI load 158gr +p LSWCHP.

#43 ·
While you're doing energy calculations, you may want to also look at momentum - the .38 will outshine the .380. Also, there's a guy around here that shoots a lot of Glocks that's had really good performance with LSWC which don't rely on expansion and cut thru tissue as opposed to pushing it aside like FMJ.

#45 ·

This my 642 pictured with my Taurus mini revolver 380acp

i have several snubby 38 Spl revolvers..the 38 spl really ups the ante' when comparing the 38 +p vs the 380.....but the bullet weight when comparing the 38 to the 380acp is what edges out the 380..
The 38 Spl and the 38 spl +p operates at a lower pressure than the380...so the 38Spl /38spl +p does more with less fuss...

But having said that..I carry this Taurus M380 more than I do any of my 38 snubbies ..and my Taurus TCP 380 gets the nod more often also

In the past few years ..with the popularity of the 380acp growing the technology of the 380 has been keeping pace with the growth ..there is several good options out there..
The performance gap between the 380 and 38spl. for SD applications has shrunk quite a bit....

#50 ·
.38 special and especially .38 special +P edge out the best .380 tests I've seen.

The .38 special with it's heavier bullet just seems to get the job done with a load like the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +P 135 grain load, where most .380 defense loads I've seen lack penetration or show inadequate expansion.

#51 ·
I think WAY too much emphasis is being given to muzzle energy especially in small calibers. It's not like these little bullets will knock a person down. Compare to the average .30-06 at 2500-3000 ft-lb. Even the .22WMR significantly exceeds most of the stated loads but I would much rather use a .38 for defense than a .22. Much more important, in my opinion, is penetration and size of the wound channel in that order, something that the .38 typically does much better than .380. For my $.02, there is no comparison with readily available ammo.

#52 ·
In shootings of people that I have seen neither round edges the other out when the 38 is fired from a snubby. I will not carry either one after seeing so many real people shot with such marginal results. Considering that my S&W shield is about the same size as the Walther PPK/s I used to have as a BUG, I have no use for mouse guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.