No 180 Grain at Local Armory

This is a discussion on No 180 Grain at Local Armory within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I went for a visit at the armory near my office, today. I wanted to pick up some Federal HST's, or Ranger T's, or ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Penhall

Thread: No 180 Grain at Local Armory

So, I went for a visit at the armory near my office, today. I wanted to pick up some Federal HST's, or Ranger T's, or Gold Dots in 180 grain (.40 cal).

They didn't have any in stock. In fact, the armory didn't have any 180 grain .40 cal ammo in stock. They couldn't tell me why they were out - be it a shortage on their part, or if they weren't stocking it. The latter seems really odd. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the store. They are always helpful and usually have everything I could ever need. I love the place. I'm just curious if 180 grain ammo not as popular anymore. After all of my due diligence in researching different rounds, I can't find a ballistic reason for it to be less popular. In fact, I thought many agencies have been shifting from the 155/165 back to the 180's.

Personally, I only shoot 180 because I am the most accurate with it. It has softer recoil, my followup shots are easier. Anyone else had trouble finding it lately?

From what I've gathered, it's simply a shortage of the round caused by several factors.

1) Individual citizens are stockpiling ammo in the event that President Obama is re-elected and begins a sweeping anti-gun agenda.
    2) The Department of Homeland Security has just signed a contract with ATK for up to 450 million round of 180 grain HST rounds over a 4 year period.
    3) Foreign countries are placing orders with American manufacturers for 180 grain ammo.

I've run into problems finding it here in Texas, from time to time, although SGAMMO.com has been a reliable source when I'm bulk ordering.
    Lotus222 likes this.

Seriously, thanks for the awesome reply. That makes me really really glad that it is actually the current popularity of my beloved round that is causing a shortage. Thanks for the link. Guess I'll start checking out the online vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    So, I went for a visit at the armory near my office, today. I wanted to pick up some Federal HST's, or Ranger T's, or Gold Dots in 180 grain (.40 cal).

They didn't have any in stock. In fact, the armory didn't have any 180 grain .40 cal ammo in stock. They couldn't tell me why they were out - be it a shortage on their part, or if they weren't stocking it. The latter seems really odd. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the store. They are always helpful and usually have everything I could ever need. I love the place. I'm just curious if 180 grain ammo not as popular anymore. After all of my due diligence in researching different rounds, I can't find a ballistic reason for it to be less popular. In fact, I thought many agencies have been shifting from the 155/165 back to the 180's.

Personally, I only shoot 180 because I am the most accurate with it. It has softer recoil, my followup shots are easier. Anyone else had trouble finding it lately?
    Lotus222,

I saw this thread headline and had to read it: I'm pretty sure I spoke with you at the Armory in question.

I'm the Retail Sales Manager and I was as surprised as you were that we had no 180grain defensive ammo in stock. I started there about two months ago and am responsible for most of the ordering for the retail store. The honest truth is that it slipped past my radar. Reordering (and actually FINDING) the inventory to replace what we're selling each week is a monumental, full-time task right now, and that's only one of a long list of things needing my attention. Finding HST anywhere is difficult, but last month I did manage to find a large quantity of 50 round boxes of it in .45, 9mm, and 165gr .40, but I apparently overlooked 180grain.

I apologize that we didn't have what you needed! Today is my day off, but when I get back to the store tomorrow, I'll try to find some HST, Ranger T or at least Speer Gold Dot. Right now, everything popular in the gun industry is pretty hard to get, especially 50round boxes of Gold Dot or HST.

Please P.M. me and I'll be happy to call you when I get some in, which should be next week.

Man that is awsome customer service. That is the way to keep and build a loyal customer base. Impressive.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Wow, thanks for the followup Redbeard.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect about the ammo. It had been a while since I have stocked up on some non-target loads. I really had no idea how hard it was to find HST's as of late. I ended up ordering a couple of boxes ...unfortunately totaling up to $0.80 a round! (with shipping) It's officially the most money I have ever spent per pistol round. After I started looking online, it made a lot more sense why you guys were potentially out of stock.

Also, I want to reiterate that I love your store and you guys are stocked to the teeth 99% of the time. I really have nothing but good things to say about the place. I'll definitely check back in and see if you guys are stocked up, soon.

Couldn't ask for better customer support than following up on a completely random internet forum post - with the store unnamed to boot!

Glad you enjoy the store, Lotus! I was able to snag a small amount of 180gr HST from a distributor and it should be in the store mid-week. To give you an idea of current availability challenges, I bought ALL of what they had in HST calibers and it was about four cases total. They didn't have Gold Dot in 9mm of any weight!

To make a further introduction, I work at Clyde Armory in Athens, GA.
    We're distributors for Colt, Daniel Defense, Magpul, and more, and sell a lot through our website, but we don't sell ammo online. It's a pain for us to ship, and we want to have it available for our local customers. But if you're in the area, we always have a lot of cool stuff to look at and some great deals!

-Redbeardsong

Http://www.clydearmory.com

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338129254.593963.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338129284.972949.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338129392.773501.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338129546.347712.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338129576.437526.jpg

As we head further towards the presidential election I believe ammo in general will begin getting more scarce. Yesterday I was in Wally World looking to buy a few boxes of WWB 9mm and the stock was just about depleted. I was speaking to the sales clerk and he commented that all re-stock shipments have begun slowing down from all ammo vendors. He then said the management is getting ready to begin implementing a 2 box per customer limitation. He said that it is due to the election and fears that his highness will be re-elected. Here we go again.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

Links