For those that carry 40 Cal. - Page 3

For those that carry 40 Cal.

This is a discussion on For those that carry 40 Cal. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only carry FMJ when I am hiking as I may run into a wild bore or black bear and want deep penetration. As far ...

View Poll Results: Carry FMJ instead of hollowpoint?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 4.64%
  • no

144 95.36%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: For those that carry 40 Cal.

I only carry FMJ when I am hiking as I may run into a wild bore or black bear and want deep penetration. As far as two legged predators, I want to avoid over-penetration and potentially injure an innocent by-stander.

Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    165 Gold Dot JHP actually looks like in ballistic Gel it expands greater with the permanent cavitation than a 180 gr gold dot jhp. Also it does a better job through windshields and other bazaar media according to some police data on the caliber - i read that somewhere. Bigger may not be better in this instance - 1150 velocity with gold dot is moving for a 165 gr - lots of damage. Mas Ayoob says its his preference over 180 gr.
    People tend to forget that the 180gr load was designed for and carried over from the 10mm FBI load, where the 165gr was designed for the .40S&W afterward.

Like you, I prefer 165gr Gold Dot, the 180gr just doesn't have the energy.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

No, because FMJ is not for self defense. They will over penetrate. Only time I buy fmj is when I do target practice. Just buy some cheap 180grain steel cased tulammo. Fmj is not for self defene.
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    I am curious for those tat carry 40 cal, do you or would you carry 180 gr full metal jacket instead of hollow point ammo?

WHy or why not?

I carry 45 ACP and will carry hardball and I see a lot of FMJ ammo being carried in 40 cal also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links