For those that carry 40 Cal.

This is a discussion on For those that carry 40 Cal. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious for those tat carry 40 cal, do you or would you carry 180 gr full metal jacket instead of hollow point ammo? ...

View Poll Results: Carry FMJ instead of hollowpoint?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 4.67%
  • no

143 95.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: For those that carry 40 Cal.

For those that carry 40 Cal.

I am curious for those tat carry 40 cal, do you or would you carry 180 gr full metal jacket instead of hollow point ammo?

WHy or why not?

I carry 45 ACP and will carry hardball and I see a lot of FMJ ammo being carried in 40 cal also.

2. Remove Ads

From what I read here and on other places on the internet the heaviest load in a given caliber is the way to go. For .40S&W it would be 180 grain. I've read where some .45 ACP (1911's?) prefer FMJ over JHP but I haven't read anything about .40's having that problem. So far in my P229 I've just used RA40T's in my gun and in the near future I'll check Gold Dot's and HST's to see how they shoot. Right now I carry Ranger T's

I voted no. Why? Why not?
    Granted...the 40S&W is supposed to be the highest horsepower per cubic inch as is. I personally like the 40S&W caliber for carry because I'm inherently more accurate with it. Works well for me. I still occasionally carry a 45ACP, but I still prefer HPs when I can use them. Carried a 45ACP when there were no options other than FMJ and I felt quite comfortable with that. As a civilian, I would never opt for FMJ over HP ammo for my carry ammo. Yep...even for 45ACP. If you've got better, why settle for good? The best is still up to interpretation.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I carry 180 gr JHP. I would be concerned that FMJ would over-penetrate in a self-defense situation.

I'm ok with 230 grain FMJ round nose in the .45 ACP and wouldn't feel helpless if compelled to use FMJ in 9mm or .40 S&W. There's a box of Corbon 230 grain .45 JHP's on hand along with some handloaded concoctions employing JHPs. I've carried the .45 ACP with FMJ before and it clobbers even large critters and varmints with authority. The .40 S&W could serve decently assuming good hits.

"I personally like the 40S&W caliber for carry..."

It's nice to see the .40 S&W fans. I think it's the best automatic pistol cartridge I never had. The .40 S&W seems to have been beat up on here on the Forum in just over the past few months with most who formerly relied on it going over to 9mm. Shame as it looks like a really worthwhile self-defense cartridge.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The only reason I could think of not to carry JHP would be feeding issues, and that has never been a problem for me. JHP creates a larger wound cavity, delivers more energy in the target and prevent over-penetration.

Would I fire a mag of FMJ at an intruder if that's what I had loaded from the last target session? You bet, and I wouldn't feel underpowered, but why not use a specially designed self-defense load when available.
    Walk softly ...

I'm trying my hardest to find someone with some Federal HST in 180 grain, right now. I feel comfortable with those, Gold Dot's and Ranger T's. They seem to be the most technologically advanced and most effective rounds on the current market - IMHO.

Personally, I shoot 180 grain because of the reduced recoil. It makes me more accurate and makes followup shots much easier than the hotter 165 grain and lower loads.

For personal defense, since I am a civilian, JHP's make sense. They are much safer because the don't overpenetrate. As a civilian, I highly doubt I'll be shooting through anything that would need FMJ penetration. Plus, JHP has much more stopping power due to hydrostatic shock, bullet expansion, and body cavity decimation. Do a quick search and you will get lots of hits on this subject.

HCF
    I like gold dot 165 but also have 180. I like the 40 s&w nice compromise between 9 and 45. Im young and healthy recoil doesn't bother me, I practice with what I carry. The 357 sig has been on my mind lately though. I like the damage a hp can do, long time hunter I know damage done by hp from personal experience also lots of good videos of expansion out there. I would use fmj if that's what I had or maybe an object I needed to penetrate. I will carry fmj or mixed with hp in bear country.

I carry hollow points in both of my carry guns. Always have, always will, if they are available. Why, I've seen what they can do personally.
    Old School likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    I am curious for those tat carry 40 cal, do you or would you carry 180 gr full metal jacket instead of hollow point ammo?

WHy or why not?

I carry 45 ACP and will carry hardball and I see a lot of FMJ ammo being carried in 40 cal also.
    I Carry a .40SW and use JHP but what I generally use is 165 gr.
    I have never fired the 180 gr as I do not see a need for it. The results I have had in shooting 165 gr have shown me the accuracy I have gotten from it fits my needs just fine.

Looking at the ballistic tables located at 40 Caliber Smith & Wesson Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101
    You will find that for Federal both the 180 gr JHP and FMJ have the same ballistics.. which might provide over-penetration to the point of not providing the stopping power I seek, where the 165 grain FMJ will give even greater penetration with 130 more ft per sec muzzle velocity and 68 ft more muzzle energy than the 180gr ammo can create a potential for even greater over-penetration where the slightly slower/lighter 165 gr in JHP provides for optimum expansion to give a potential for greater stopping.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

I carry Critical Defense in my Sigma every day.
    Richard58 likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I think one can over think this stuff. I carry the Hornady Zombie Max in 165 gn. Why? Because it runs well in my G27, it has the same ballistics as their Critical Defense line, and ZM costs about $3 less per box. In my XD45 Compact, I carry 230 gn FMJ because it works and because, after a handful of malfunctions with various brands, I just don't trust my XD with HPs.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I'm not bashing any other brands or comparing grains, directly. This vid shows that 180 grain HST's don't over-penetrate. Shows that they are good little performers, though.

.40 Federal HST 180 gr Ammo Gel test - YouTube
    SATCHMO1960 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I think one can over think this stuff. I carry the Hornady Zombie Max in 165 gn. Why? Because it runs well in my G27, it has the same ballistics as their Critical Defense line, and ZM costs about $3 less per box. In my XD45 Compact, I carry 230 gn FMJ because it works and because, after a handful of malfunctions with various brands, I just don't trust my XD with HPs.
    Not saying I agree with what I'm about to say either way, but would having ZOMBIE MAX in your gun be a liability if you went to a jury after a SD shooting? An adept prosecutor could use that to make you out to be a paranoid looking for something to shoot in the head. Or is thinking that way too paranoid?
    Walk softly ...

I don't get to worked up over 155 vs 165 vs 180. I've read a few ballistic data tables and the 165's usually carry a bit more energy than all the others while the 180's track a bit straighter due to their slightly higher mass. neither of those characteristics are noticeable to me though as I'm not a competition shooter. when given a choice I buy 165's. but I'll get the 180's or 155's without hesitation if the 165's are gone.

I don't carry fmj for personal defense in any caliber. there are dozens of awesome defense loads out there and every one of them is a better option than a fmj in my opinion. that being said, carry whatever makes you comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links