CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in a Taurus 85 UL? Any experience?

This is a discussion on CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in a Taurus 85 UL? Any experience? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to try the CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in my Taurus 85 UL. I intend to use them for Copperhead control only. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in a Taurus 85 UL? Any experience?

CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in a Taurus 85 UL? Any experience?

I am wanting to try the CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in my Taurus 85 UL. I intend to use them for Copperhead control only.

Have you shot your .38 with them? For snakes? Are they effective?

What's your story?

Thanks!
    Carpe Diem

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I've tried them in my .357s just for laughs. At about 15 feet, the shot covers an entire standard range target. These look to be effective for varmint control maybe out to 5 or 6 feet.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Similar to shockwave, I tried some in my 851UL for the heck of it, and had the same results.

If I knew there were a lot of snakes where I was headed, I might load a couple of snake-shot rounds in my snub. The trails I hike here in AZ have rattlers, but not so many that I want to trade off "real" defensive rounds for shot, especially if I only have 5 or 6 rounds in the gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've tested .38 Special shot loads but didn't see much use for them. They produce thin, patchy patterns at any distance very far beyond "snake bite range." If one needed to do a job on a snake in an area where normal bullets could produce a hazard to the background they would be suitable and safe if administered at close range. Otherwise, standard .38 Special ammunition, applied to the head is guaranteed to give desired results. I've never actually shot a snake with the shot loads.

I frequent locales populated by rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water moccasins. As often as not the snakes get clobbered by a handy rock or stick. The non-poisonous species are left alone.

The other day I was driving and saw a medium-sized snake in the road far ahead of me. I scrupulously straddled the snake so as not to hit it. Only just before it passed beneath my pickup did I recognize it as a rattlesnake. I'd have aimed differently if I'd realized it sooner.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Years ago when i was selling police equipment, I had a request for those loads from a small town sheriff deputy. he called them : Juvie loads (juvenile) as in having to shoot a teenager......
    I laughed; he did not. I ordered them....
    I had some in my 357 back then. Great snake loads. Got a 6' cottenmouth withit from about 4'.
    Better is a .410 with #6 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    I am wanting to try the CCI Blazer .38 special shotshell in my Taurus 85 UL. I intend to use them for Copperhead control only.

Have you shot your .38 with them? For snakes? Are they effective?

What's your story?

Thanks!
    I have killed around 75 copperheads over the last 6 years with the CCI .38 shot loads out of a 2" Charter Arms Undercover. At under 6 feet, they'll just about take the snake's head off. I've never needed a second shot with the .38's, but never tried a shot beyond about 10 feet.
    My wife carries a 3" .22 with CCI shot loads too, and will occasionally need two shots to finish them if it's beyond 5-6 feet. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

In my modest opinion, a 12 GA loaded with 3.5" High Brass No. 6, 7 or 8 Shot is the minimum load for any poisonous snake. If it scared me, then I'd unleash the 44 Mag too. A man just can't take risks with snakes, you know. To be honest, an AU-8 would be better.

Other than that, I'd just go with my normal load. I have used the CCI 22 LR shot though, out of an NAA, for little snakes as a last resort. I would have preferred my Benelli though.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl and RichB70 like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I have killed around 75 copperheads over the last 6 years with the CCI .38 shot loads out of a 2" Charter Arms Undercover. At under 6 feet, they'll just about take the snake's head off. I've never needed a second shot with the .38's, but never tried a shot beyond about 10 feet.
    My wife carries a 3" .22 with CCI shot loads too, and will occasionally need two shots to finish them if it's beyond 5-6 feet. FWIW
    Regards,
    Jim
    That was worth alot. It sounds like from your post, and the others also, these shotshells will do the job. I think if I load 1 or maybe 2 and the rest with bullets, the 38 will cover it as a BUG. I also carry the 45 for bear or BG as EDC. I'll be off to the range next week or so to try them out.
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I would have preferred my Benelli though.
    Love those Italians.

Great post, Rock!

How 'bout a Gatling Gun? Now, that would be cool!
    Carpe Diem

VIP Member
    Love those Italians.

Great post, Rock!

How 'bout a Gatling Gun? Now, that would be cool!
    Nope, Minigun, MINImum!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

with no buffers and plastic plug they spread out bad

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    with no buffers and plastic plug they spread out bad
    Excuse my inexperience, bsg, but is that a good thing or a bad thing - from a snakes perspective?
    Carpe Diem

...How 'bout a Gatling Gun? Now, that would be cool!
    Sheesh! You ever try hitting a copperhead with a Gatling gun? It ain't as easy as it sounds!
    Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Sheesh! You ever try hitting a copperhead with a Gatling gun? It ain't as easy as it sounds!
    Regards,
    Jim
    Oh, man! I wish I did have the opportunity to try hitting something with one of those! But, I'm stuck with those silly .38 special shotshells. Sigh.
    Carpe Diem

Excuse my inexperience, bsg, but is that a good thing or a bad thing - from a snakes perspective?
    Extreme spread is a very good thing from the snake's viewpoint. A small number of shot being spun by travel through a rifled bore means that the pattern is thinnest in the middle (think of a doughnut) and that the pattern gets thinner with every foot further away from the muzzle.

I think Box-o-Truth has a segment on handgun shotshell loads. The take-away is that such loads are not useful beyond about 7 or 8 feet maximum. They work best at 3 to 4 feet (which is way too close to a rattler for me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links